Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 11:58

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

Ok, I think I get it now! LOL Do the exercises, continue the diet and sooner or later it all goes hand in hand....the shape and the fat loss!! LOL
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Natrushka

Quote:
Originally posted by Brenda
So glad your there today. Please tell me what "Ketones and Ketosis" mean. I am on the CAD diet and am unfamiliar with ATkins terms.

Brenda, ketosis is the burning of fat for fuel by your body. When you eat high carbs you burn carbs in the form of glucose for fuel - and what you do not burn is stored as fat. You require insulin to do this - it is released in the presence of glucose. When you restrict carbs you do not produce glucose or insulin - your body is forced to burn its stored fat for fuel - this process is called Ketosis because the fat is burned in the form of ketone bodies.

When you read about people testing for ketosis, they are using a specially designed strip that is dipped in urine - ketone bodies that are not fully burned will spill over into your urine and this is what they are testing for.

Therefore ketosis is the state of burning ketone bodies.

HTH
Nat

P.S. Cherio, right you are
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 159/151/138
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Ketone strips

Nutrushka

Where can I get these strips? Sounds like a good idea, I am pretty sure I am in Ketosis. Are there any other signs that I could look for to tell me I am in the right state?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:33

BF:
Default Re: Ketone strips

Quote:
Are there any other signs that I could look for to tell me I am in the right state?

Brenda, you can get them from your pharmacist (behind the counter) but to be honest they arent great indicators of fat burning - too many things effect the results - how much water you drink, if you've eaten anything fatty, when you test and if you've exercised. There are better indicators: have you lost your appetite? Do you have keto breath? (fruity sweet smelling breath that no amount of toothpaste will cure) and chief among all indicators: are you losing fat

Here's a little more on Ketosis and Fat burning .

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 159/151/138
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Ketone breath

My breath has definantly changed and no amount of anything cures it. I don't know if you'd call it sweet. It is a bad case of morning breath! OOPS! TMI (too much information) Yes, I have lost my appetite. At night for my RM meal I think I want sweets but they don't appeal as much after the first bite. Does Ketosis or LCing work differently for women who have had children?

You are a great help thanks!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 12:48

BF:
Default Re: Ketone breath

Quote:
Does Ketosis or LCing work differently for women who have had children?

I don't think it would, Brenda. It's a function of biology and physiology - it works the same for men and women as well.

You can help yourself with the keto breath by drinking more water - it will help dilute the concentration.

Cheers,
Nat
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187.00/170.5/110
BF:
Progress: 21%

cherio,
have you tried using lighter weights for your bottom and heavier ones for your upper body? This will ad more definition to your upper body giving the illusion that every thing is in proportion.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 07:38

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

lharris40,

No, actually I haven't been incorporating weights into my routines as of yet. I was just doing what I had available which was a treadmill, Nortictrack Thighmaster and walking. But I am starting Jazzercise tonight and the instructor requested hand or ankle weights, or both. I am only taking hand. I am hoping the total body workout will eventually put everything in portion! LOL We'll see. It's eight weeks, which will put me close to vacation and even closer to buying that dream bathingsuit!! LOL Thanks for idea, though.