Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:37
Pending Member

Plan: low carb plan from my doctor
Stats: 287/260/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Intro

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I need the feedback right now to keep me going. I want to start a journal for myself and I think that doing it here will be very helpful and I won't feel like I'm talking to myself all the time.

Anyway, I am a 44 year old woman from British Columbia who needs to lose about 130 lbs. I'm quite familiar with LC way of eating as I followed the CAD program a few years ago with moderate success. I have the Atkins book around here somewhere but I don't think I've ever actually read it.

I've got a number of medical problems to deal with too so that doesn't make it any easier. I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia since my teens. And now I have Osteoarthritis and Colitis too. I also have a genetic condition called Lipoedema which makes losing weight very difficult. I use a motorized wheelchair when I go out but just use my cane at home, or hang onto the walls and/or furniture.

So in addition to eating Lo Carb, I also have to be gluten free and have food allergies to tomatoes, peppers and citrus. I think I'm almost to the point where I know what to eat without getting sick. The list of foods that I can eat is getting shorter every day!

Thanks for being here,
Cyndi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:49

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard!

You've definitely come to the right place for information and support. This community is fabulous!

Definitely start a journal here - they are an amazingly effect resource. Also interact actively with the others here and read their journals. You will discover that you are so not alone and that this WOL really does work and is sustainable. You will also discover that it is not a quick fix, that there are plenty of frustrating times and that patience and persistence are the key. But you will also hopefully learn that you CAN do it.

Some of the other folks here have had similar problems to yours and the results have generally been very positive, so you have that to hopefully look forward to.

Again, welcome aboard and we'll be chatting as time goes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 18:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Cyndi! Welcome! I'm glad you've found us.

You sound as though you've learned from experience -- that's a good start. I'd suggest you dig out that Atkins book and read it. Or perhaps get the new one. There's more information, a few updates. I've restarted low carb several times in the past and NOT read the book -- and it never quite worked. I think reading helps make the commitment, and also serves as a refresher course. I was surprised at how many things I thought I remembered that didn't seem to be there

Good luck -- do start a journal. It not only helps keep you accountable, but it helps us keep up with you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 02:48

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Cyndi

Just popped in to say welcome to the forum. A great idea to start a journal.

Sorry to hear about you medical problems, but I suspect that finding an acceptable low carb diet will alleviate some of these.

I certainly find that this way of life has perked my up, so I hope that it does the same for you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 16:00
Pending Member

BF:

Thanks for the nice welcoming messages!

I think I will purchase the newer version of the Atkins book and I'll get my copy of CALP back from my daughter and read them both again.

My doctor is encouraging me to eat this way (heck, she's downright pushing me!) so I'll give it my best. With already having to eat gluten free it's not too much of a jump to watch the rest of the carbs in my diet.

When I was following the CAD program a couple of years ago I noticed that what I thought was fibrofog had lifted so maybe it should be more properly called "carbofog".

Well I'm off to create my journal now!

Talk to you soon,
Cyndi
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 17:17

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Hi Cyndi, and welcome! It's great you're learning your food sensitivities.

I hesitate to suggest yet another book but try to find a copy of Neanderthin. Audette had RA, was walking with a cane, then was diagnosed a diabetic, and affected a miracle cure for himself by eating "paleo." Even if you decide not to go fully paleo (no cheese or vinegar or peanuts), the story might be inspiring.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 18:46
Pending Member

BF:

Thanks Razzle,

I'll see if I can find it! I did come across some websites recently about "paleo" eating and it looked interesting. I already can't eat peanuts and vinegar because food allergies but I LOVE cheese. That would be hard to give up completely I think.

With learning to live with colitis I've had to do an elimination diet and slowly add in foods one at a time to see which ones react. So far my body is telling me no grains or derivatives, moderate dairy and lots of green leafy veggies and meat, fish, and poultry.

The lipoedema so far hasn't shown any signs of slowing down but my RA,and fibro are much better without grains especially. Because of damage done to my joints already I probably won't ever regain full mobility but I can keep it from progressing I hope.

Talk to you soon,
Cyndi