Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/261/200
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Day Two: What a headache

So I've made it through Day Two and quickly realized I'm gonna need some support with this Low Carb thing. So I googled on Atkins Diet Support Forum and viola... here I am.

I've done a lot of research about this on the web and there still seems to be a lot of concern about health risks. But the upside of Atkins seems to me to outweigh the downside. I'm also someone who likes to try new things and things that run counter to mainstream ideas... so this seems perfect.

Anyway, what really pushed me over the edge was a recent oped piece in the Washington Post by George Will. He called me obese he did. How dare he. He told me how to calculate BMI and I came up with 35. Over 30 is obese he says. Who knew. Yeah, I'm a little beefy... but obese... well... ok. Hmmm. It really made me think. What with a wife and 2 little ones now I figured maybe it's time to stop accepting being a fat man.

So, hi, how are you all? I've been browsing thru the threads here a bit and this forum seems to be just my sorta spot. I hope I can fit in (no pun intended) around here. I'm an IT guru so if anyone's having PC problems I can help with that... that may be my contribution here in the shortrun. In return I'll take all the encouraging words and cheerleader icons (love that feature) I can get.

So, as I say, I'm thru day two. Day one was no problem, except I'm finding it difficult to find things to eat easily. It seems this diet demands a lot of up front planning. I eat out for lunch most days and I'm finding it hard to find things to eat. I especially enjoy going to Schlotzsky's Deli (sandwiches) and sushi bars. I really haven't figured out how I'm going to adapt. Lots of sashimi instead of nigiri and maki I guess. <sigh>

But hey all, what's up with that Day Two headache. Ouch. I'm into about 6 advil now. Wow. I googled Atkins Diet Headache and found lots of FAQs that proclaim that to be a normal thing that should be gone by day 3 or 4. But wowser. I don't think I've ever felt quite this yucky before.

I was really starving tonight so when I got home I made myself a 4 egg omelet with muenster and proscuito. Yum. But it was too much I think. That with all the water is making me feel really bloated and a little woozy.

Anyway... I hope I make it thru day 3.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:46

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile re headache

Glad to see you made it through day two.
Yes, this diet is definitely all about preparation. Just look at it this way........When you are home cooking your breakfast or dinner, just throw on some extra, and put it aside to go towards your next meal or your meal to bring to work, etc. Thats what I do. Your better off bringing your food to work with you. There are alot of hidden carbs/sugars when you eat out, at least if you make it, you know exactly what you are putting into your body.
The bottom line is, that in the end....the small effort it took to prepare your food, will more than payoff. Your results will show you that it was worth your effort.
Stay strong.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 23:55

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Day Two: What a headache

Welcome to the forum Robert!

And congratulations on making it through day 2.

As a matter of fact, the massive day 2 headache is not a unique feature to low-carb diets. You'd have the same nasty throbbing if you were on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. If you gave up caffeine at the same time you have a caffeine-deprivation headache in addition to the usual start-of-the-diet headache. If you haven't just given up caffeine, you can probably expect most or all of the pain to be gone tomorrow. Otherwise, you might have a couple more uncomfortable days ahead of you. (Personally, I believe in weaning off caffeine.)

You'll be surprised at how many of us are IT professionals. Maybe there's something about sitting in front of a computer for half the day that contributes to what George Will so rudely called obesity.

Quote:
Originally posted by robertl30
I hope I make it thru day 3.

Don't hope to make it through day 3. Choose to make it through day 3. It gets easier and easier. So long as you stick to the plan.

Keep in touch!

Allison
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 00:03

Stats: 309/306/210
BF:
Progress: 3%
Talking

Hey Robert,

I too had the headaches for 3-4 days. I didn't think about it until you mentioned it in your post. The did go away, thank goodness.

I just started week two and am down about 5 lbs.! I've got ways to go, but it has been easier doing this than a low-fat diet. Plus, I feel full almost all the time.

I eat out for lunch once and awhile, usually at McD's and BKing. I order a hamburger or two and have them hold the ketchup and add extra lettuce. It really hits the spot. I have also learned that I don't worry about treats at work if I pack a good lunch the night before. This does take some preparation, but it is really paying off.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ape-avatar_100x100.jpg (6.8 KB, 144 views)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 00:55

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up You just reminded me!

Yes that headache started gradually for me on day two and got worse and worse for about 7-8 days. I've never had a continuous headache like that before or since but it got so I got gradually less conscious of it. And one day it was not there anymore.

In the video I watched before starting this diet it did say it depended on the person. Some people were more resistant and carb withdrawal symptoms could last up to two weeks. Depends on the level of your addiction.

Robert, 2 days or 2 weeks - all I will say is that it does go away and for me it was well worth it. Comparing it to the number of weeks in your life what is two weeks?

Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:54

Stats: 270/261/200
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default No Headaches

Day 3 begins headache-free. Go figure. I did indeed go cold turkey on the caffiene. I'm a major Diet CokeŽ addict... so this may be the hardest give-up so far.

Ordered a McDee's sausage/egg/cheese biscuit this morning. Avoided most of the biscuit of course. And the cheese as it had become one with the evil carb matter.

I hadn't eaten a breakfast in McDonald's in over a decade. And in another state. As I recall they used to have breakfast platters. But now (and here, NC) all they have are eggs on various forms of bread: muffin, biscuit, bagel.

I'm very un-used to eating breakfast, but I know now that it's important. So I'm trying to make the effort. I have no time to cook at home currently. I'm changing jobs on Monday though and that shouId give me more time to cook in the morning. I also find it more challenging (read: messy) to eat these breakfast sandwiches sans bread. I'm going to have to start carrying a fork with me I think.

I'm looking forward to salmon filets for dinner tonight. Yum.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:14

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Welcome!

Evil carb matter....that's so funny. I'll have to use that one.

Welcome aboard, Robert!

This is a great site. I'm new at this too, but everyone is so helpful. There's plenty of experience and knowledge here.

Don't give up!!!

Patty

#8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 18:40

BF:
Question re/ modified atkins

Rusty, I see it says you are on "modified atkins"...what exactly is that?
Thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:06

Stats: 309/306/210
BF:
Progress: 3%
Talking

Shaw - I eat more vegetables and lettuce than I am supposed to. I watch the bad carbs, drink diet rootbeer with heavy cream (tastes like a leftover rootbeer float! ), and eat low carb chocolate bars.

I guess the main thing is that I don't read the Atkins diet, I just call my "mommy" and say, "what should I eat today to break the boredom ," and she comes up with a good low carb idea.

I am keeping my carbs under around 20 per day, but I don't sit and count the actual carbs.

Kind of wish washey, but 2.5 weeks and 7 lbs. later, I am doing pretty good.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:32

BF:
Arrow Re: Modified Atkins

Well Rusty,
All I can say is that you are doing better than me. I have been at this for over a month already and nothing but a two pound weight loss, which isnt even really a weight loss..i always fluctuate with those two pounds more or less. I don't go over the twenty carbs...and still no results. My keto sticks only show a trace amount of ketones..if I am lucky. I am seriously considering going off atkins, it's obviously not working for me. I'm glad you are having better luck than me. Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 00:40

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Shawj,

Look at the bright side - you haven't gained weight despite all the "bad" things you've been eating. That counts for something.

How have your other indices changed? The measurements, your cholesterol, your blood pressure. If ANY of those are changed for the better (and none of them for the worse) that at least stick to LC until you find something else that you are convinced has a real chance of working.

Also, consider that there are MANY low-carb plans and, for any given person, some work better than the others and one works the best and one works the worst. How about doing this - commit yourself to cycle through all of the major LC plans for at least one month at a time. Treat them each as a completely new diet that you are trying. This way you virtually eliminate the risk of doing a yo-yo, you give LC plenty of time to start showing results in the event that it is just a matter that your particular body is going to take a lot longer than normal to start really responding, and you don't have to go through the carb-withdrawals or other transition problems you would have going to another diet.

Whatever you decide - best of luck to ya.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 18:57

BF:
Wink re: advice

I just wanted to say thanks soo much for taking the time to write that to me. As simple as it is, it really means alot.
I actually fell off the wagon today (so to speak)...I didnt go stuffing my face with carbs, but went back to my protein shakes and bars (which is where I have had the greatest success in the past). I was just soo discouraged. To be honest, I dont know anything about my cholestrol levels, etc. I just know that my weight hasnt gone down. and neither have my measurements.
I am going to pick up Protein Power (book) this weekend and have begun re-reading body for life by bill phillips. i plan on staying in the low carb world, i just have to figure out how i am going to go about it.
I felt good today, but was wondering if perhaps i should have gave it a bit more than a month...who knows......
Thanks again....im sooo glad this plan is working for you!