Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355/324/260 Male 6' 7"
BF:E=mc2
Progress: 33%
Default STREEEEEEETCH Marks

Hi Everyone

Not sure where to post this. So if I posted in the wrong place.......sorry.

Ok.... how do I say this???? Hmmmmmm. Well if you haven't figured it out yet because of the title....

I have stretch marks. Yep...... a guy with stretch marks. All you mommies out there can officially laugh at me. I've had them for years......and NOW want to get rid of them.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP..... how do I get rid of them??? Is there a cream (over the counter) out there that can help???

I'm drinking plenty of water, exercising at the gym 6 days a week. I've lost about 30 lbs over the last 5 1/2 weeks. And I want to get rid of those nasty looking suckers off my body. I'm 38 years old and finally felling good (well sorta) about my body.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FATguy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 15:05

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Sorry to break it to you, but once you have them, they are permanent.

I have quite a few myself (mostly my abdomen and my arms). Over time they do fade and are much less noticeable.
Dry brushing can help them fade a bit better, as well as moisturizing. But besides that most of the "methods" that are circulating around to help get rid of them are a total crock of bs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 15:19

Plan: South Beach/My Own
Stats: 210/160/140 Male 5' 9"
BF:20%/18.5%/15%
Progress: 71%

I'm a guy and I have stretch marks too. I got them when I was at my biggest (200lbs when I was 13 and only 5'4").
Anyway, I heard of this cream called Barmon that for some people clears them up completely.
I haven't tried it but I hear it really works.
It's only sold on the net though.
The website is www.barmon.com.
I do know from experience that they do naturally fade a little over time but they'll always be there unless you do something about them.
Just don't let anybody tell you that they're impossible to get rid of.
Nothing is impossible.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 16:25

Stats: 308.6/299.2/199 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 9%

Stretch marks are like scars, they are always going to be there. The color will fade, so they wont be as noticable but they never go away.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 18:58

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

It's not weird at all for a guy to have stretch marks. People also get them for reasons other than weight loss; sometimes bodybuilders get them from bulking up fairly quickly.

Yes, they are permanent...I'm sorry. I waited 17 post-pregnancy years for mine to go away and still managed to be surprised that they didn't.

Think of them as your badges of courage and fortitude. You have managed to lose weight so successfully that this has happened. I know it doesn't exactly seem like a reward to you but it's the truth. Your body is changing and you can pat yourself on the back for that...the stretch marks are only incidental so ignore them...you are doing great.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 22:26

Plan: lowcarb
Stats: 227/223/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 5%

I WONT BELIEVE IT...I WONT I WONT I WONT!

i really dont like mine =(
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 22:30

Plan: Neanderthin-Based
Stats: 230/218/200 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have stretch marks on my arms and on the sides of my waist and I'm a 26-year-old man. I was really fat as a kid and lost a ton of weight by simple alorie restriction - a lot easier to do when you're very young. They've faded to skin colour and they really don't bother me and have not seemed to bother my partners during intimate moments either.

I look at them as battle scars and something to be proud of. When you're in tip-top shape, I don't think you'll give them a second thought. When you're little a heavy minor things tend to play on your mind than they should.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 22:31

Plan: Neanderthin-Based
Stats: 230/218/200 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sorry for being lewd - I do apologise. But that little guy was begging to be used like that.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 10:42

Stats: 355/324/260 Male 6' 7"
BF:E=mc2
Progress: 33%

Thank you all for the info. They haven't bothered me tooooooo much. But I'm going away in May with 25 other couples to the Bahamas. 99% of these people haven't seen me in a bathing suit. I don't want to frighten them too much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 14:38

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

vitamin e oil can help them to fade quicker but they will never go completely away.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 18:21

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

Drippinbld--that was AWESOME!!!!
FATguy--I figure if people don't like seeing me in a bathing suit they should just look the other way!!--it's not like I'm wearing a bikini!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 18:36

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Stand three-four feet from your mirror, which is the same as someone looking at you from 6-8 feet away... you'll see that those marks aren't as noticeable as you think they are. But yeah, they do fade with time. I believe there is a cosmetic procedure that can help with them too, though. Maybe that's something you should start saving for as your goal weight reward?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 21:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/135/125 Female 5 ft 5
BF:way too much
Progress: 68%
Default stretch marks

I am no stranger to the darn things either. 2 kids...and well, you all know.
There is a laser procedure that can banish them. I have a friend who did it, and yes it works, but it is really costly...so you have to want to remove them pretty bad

I am not ' buddies' with my stretch marks by any means, but I really am used to them...and I do not think others notice them, as much as we all think they do !
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 07:39

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

You can try mederma. You can purchase it at any drugstore. It is a bit pricey, but it helps fade stretch marks, scars, and burn scars.

I had surger over two years ago, my surgeon recommended I use mederma after my incision healed. The scar didn't remain pink very long (maybe 2 months) and started to fade. You can use it on stretch marks too. You won't see results immediately, but within a few months you'll notice the difference.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 220/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Women who have stretch marks from pregnancy can get rid of them with a tummy tuck. I guess it depends what part of your body has them. One of my skinny friends who is in a size 4 has them on her thighs and knees and she has never been fat.