Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Crustless Quiche - Yum!

I was feeling a bit inspired, so I had a go at making a crustless quiche tonight. Here's the recipe - all quantities approximate (I just kinda threw it together):

In a pan, gently fry in a good dollop of butter:
3 back rashers of bacon, chopped
1 brown onion, diced
8 buttons mushrooms, sliced

Beat 5 eggs and add 300ml thickened cream. Give it a quick once over with a handmixer - the cream is hard to mix in by hand 'cause it's thick. Add some salt 'n' pepper.

Grate a block of mature cheese - the "square" pack - makes about 1.5 cups.

Add the cheese to the egg/cream mix, throw in the bacon/onion/mushroom, stir it up. Spray Pure & Simple in a pie/casserole/lasagne dish, pour it all in and bake at 190 deg (C) for about 40-45 minutes. Cut into slices (no sticking) and eat

Very nice

Next time I'm going to use a strong cheese - I just picked up plain old mature cheese from the corner deli when I got off the bus!

Go forth, and experiment and refine - I'd like to hear some variations and improvements. I've thought about throwing in some broccoli or capsicum too.

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default Forgot to mention ...

The reason I tried this out is because I've been having trouble eating enough fat - can you believe it - I was getting tired of eggs and cheese and everything, and eating more protein than fat. So I decided to give myself an easy and yummy way of eating fat! (I can hear doctors/diet "professionals" all over the country falling off their chairs in horror!)

#3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Sounds delicious

Hi Rebecca,

A girlfriend of mine used to make a fantasic quiche with tinned salmon and milder cheese. I have often thought about experimenting with that.

Your recipe sounds fantastic. As soon as it becomes allowed I will give it a try :d

I've also been thinking about a smoked salmon, goat cheese and avocado tart she used to make... damn where is her phone number

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 06:26
Registered Member

BF:

Oh my wordy lordy, you've just given me an enormous craving for smoked salmon & gruyere cheese tarts ... that's next on my list!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 08:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Talking I call it a potato-free frittata

I've been cooking this one for ages - absolutely yummo - all the family love it - great for snacks and to take for lunch or for a quick brekkie - just heat in the microwave.

I often take it to friends places when asked to bring a plate (can be made in mini muffin tins - have you tried making mini ones?).

I put in what ever is about -
usually add some grated zucchini - squeeze the juice out,
using half parmessan, half tasty cheese makes it tastier
leeks are a great substitute for the onion - a nicer texture
sometimes I add a little pumpkin if there's any over
and red capsicum (chargrilled and skinned) is great too
my friends like a few slices of tomato on top - but I don't like it so I don't bother withthe extra carbs it creates

I don't use ALL THESE THINGS in one frittata- too many flavours but mix a match a few.

But I always have - bacon, onions/leeks/shallots, cheese, and the eggs and cheese and then vary the other.
A little chicken stock powder adds tot he taste as well.

Seeya

Wendye
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 09:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 236/202/150
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks for the recipe Miss Becca, I will give it a try and see how it goes. Sounds really good.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 05:06

Plan: Natropaths Diet
Stats: 232/228/100
BF:
Progress: 3%

Well MissBecca i know what i am cooking for tea tommorrow night thanks for the great recipe..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 08:28

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Fishy in a dishy

Take 5 eggs and 10oz cream and beat them to within an inch of their lives in a bowl with 2 oz cheese grated gracefully into the mixture. With a quick flourish of the hand add a pinch of salt to the mixture.

Wipe up the spilled salt and pour a Glass of water and rest your arm a bit

Take your quiche dish and spray it or butter it. Remember too late that you should have used the bigger dish.

Flake 3 peppered smoked mackerel fillets over the bottom. Then defrost 4oz of prawns/shrimps. (You should really defrost the prawns before you start but I never remember) and scatter over.

Cut in half enough raw mushroom to make a nice pattern around the dish. More grated cheese to be balanced precariously on the mushrooms. Three slices of tomato add colour.

Take all the spice jars out of the cupboard until you find the cayenne pepper or have to search for you car keys to go and get some.

Preheat the oven to 190/200 before you beat the eggs!

The cooking time follows the "it must be done by now system" as you did not check the time. If you want to be really boring, cook for 35 mins.

Your kitchen should now look like a bomb has hit it. There are broken eggshells and egg white trails that look as if giant snails have walked over your counter top. There are bits of grated cheese everywhere and on the floor and you have also trodden in some. The cream pot has dripped down the side and is beginning to mingle with the spilled salt which you did not clear up when I told you too. There is a strange brown crumb mess which you do not remember making. They are either mushroom remnants or someone else has had toast.

By the time you have cleared up this mess and the second mess as more cheese has fallen off the grater when you put it in the sink, you think "it must be done by now". Open oven door and your glasses steam up in an instant. "Its done" also miraculously 35 mins have elapsed. You are proud. But you have forgotton to cook any veggies or prepare a salad.

Enjoy your meal
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hahaha - Nice post rustpot

Nice recipe too!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 01:57

Plan: Induction
Stats: 63/55/50 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks MissBecca! I have my quiche in the oven right now, I can't wait to eat it...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 03:39

Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default what a mess

Rustpot - you have obviously watched me cook. No matter how hard I try, whenever I cook, the kitchen becomes a complete distaster area within minutes!!
This recipe looks great - I will have to try it.

Lucy
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 21:26

Stats: 294/251/198
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Tried the recipe only made them in muffin tin

Great recipe. Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 03:53

Stats: 244/235/187 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 16%

Mmm tried this tonight but used garlic instead of onion and some aspargus as well very good, oh I didn't use cream either just added an extra egg.

Should be nice for breakfast tommrow too :-)
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 08:46

Plan: Atkins/own
Stats: 352/330/250 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

I have been making this stuff for my breakfasts as I am usually in a rush and don't have time to cook eggs, so I pre-bake one of these and have it cold. The only problem is I am lucky to get 2 breakfasts out of one quiche because my family loves it too and it is nearly all gone by the time I get home from work. I will have to start hiding it in the vegetable crisper where my wife NEVER looks LOL!

I wanted to share with you all a bit of the experimentation I have been doing with the recipe and what I have hit on which is my current favourite. I found using 5 eggs and 300ml cream was just too soggy and a bit greasy, so I have added an extra egg or two and eased the cream back to 150-200 mls. Then I add about half a cup of grated parmesan and about 3/4 - 1 cup of tasty cheese, two chopped bacon rashers and about 250 grams of spinach, well drained. The stuff you get frozen in boxes from the supermarket is fine, as long as you defrost it and drain it well (or soak it on a paper towel).

Trust me this is delicious. I am sure I am not the only one to have thought of this, but I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 15:38

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Sounds Great

Thank you Bubbleboy, perfect timing... we are having a bring a plate lunch tomorrow, know what I will be taking