Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How long did you/do you plan to stay on induction?
Just the required 2 weeks 12 9.45%
One month 15 11.81%
A few months 27 21.26%
Until I get close to goal 48 37.80%
Until I reach goal 21 16.54%
Indefinitely 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 14:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%
Lightbulb Poll: How long did you/do you plan to stay on induction?

Just wondering how many of us have stayed on induction (or plan to for newbies) and how many of us are actually using the carb ladder. As for me, I'm currently staying with induction level carbs, but modifying the induction list to suit my needs/lifestyle until I get close to goal. If you are staying on induction, please post when you plan on moving up the ladder. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:14

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I am doing pretty much the same thing that you are.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:42
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I still have another 40 pounds to lose, so I know somewhere between where I'm at now..and my goal I'll make the transition into OWL and then the latter levels, I'm just not ready yet.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:51

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

My doc suggested I stay on induction for 6 weeks, until my next check-up. She wants to see if I can get the 20 I have recently gained back off or if I have other issues.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 16:44

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I recommend you only do induction for a short time ( 2 - 4 weeks) for the following reasons:

1) Some people lose better at higher carb rates.
2) More variety means you don't feel as deprived, so less likely to cheat.
3) If you stall, you can fall back to induction levels... less likely to do something drastic like change plans or a fasting diet.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 16:55

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think a lot of people get confused about the difference between staying on induction and staying at induction LEVEL carbs. Like Jadeca and Lipid, I try to stay around 20g of carbs... but I am not in induction.

I could never stay in induction for more than a couple weeks. I like to have a drink or two on the weekends, and I need my "quick snacks" of cottage cheese or peanuts. It also makes cooking a lot easier. I don't fart around with all those "substitutes" like gravy thickeners... I use flour to thicken my gravy and allow myself a few tablespoons with my meal if needed. Even with all of that, I find that many days I have a hard time getting my carbs UP to 20g. I eat so much veggies and salads, that it can be difficult.

Anyways, that's just a pet peeve of mine, so I had to pipe up. People who claim to be in induction when they're allowing themselves things like alcohol and nuts and berries -- That's NOT induction!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 08:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I stayed on it for 2 weeks and went on to OWL. I continued to lose although at a much slower rate. I have been somewhat stalled but I have just 14 lbs to go. I hope to lose ten more lbs this year if possible. Valentines weekend didn't help any but I have had no candy, not even low carb.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 09:42
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I'm planning on staying on induction until June 4th - which would be my fifth month into Atkin's.

There's a family reunion of sorts going on that week (in June), and a bunch of us are going to meet at the New York New York hotel in Vegas for a week of fun and games.

I figure I'll have earned a bit of a break from "strict" induction by then.

Given what I've learned so far, and how I've felt, I'm pretty sure I'll always eat a fairly low carb diet now. I'm amazed at how much better I feel without the extremely high carb sugary things I was eating so much of before. It's not just about the weight, but about how I feel and my energy levels as well.

Anyway..hopefully staying on induction till June will work out ok, I've still got a bunch of weight to lose here
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 09:56

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

I had attempted to make my move over the last month to OWL, but have found a few things about myself that make me believe it's not the right time. I don't loose when I add different "legal" things back into my diet. Example, almonds, I have one and can't get enough. So those are out. I also added a LC Ice Cream treat, which I now have religously every night. I have to get rid of that. Especially since I have been on a roller coaster for the past 3 weeks of up and down in a 3 lb range. I feel like I am doing things correctly, since I have experimented with OWL and find that I just can't loose. The good thing is, I know I can maintain on OWL, so it's just a matter of getting down to or near goal. Maybe things will change once spring hits and I'm able to do more physical activities after work and on the weekends. Until then, I think its best for me to go back to induction until near goal.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 14:48
Registered Member

Stats: 130/120/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I never really did induction because I ate macadamia nuts from the get-go. Some can still lose this way. It depends, I guess, on how much you need to lose and how active you are. Everybody is different.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 14:59

Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I would say that I am a modified induction. I started the OWL thing and did not like the slowed weight loss. I was still over 60 lbs away and did not want to go slow yet. I take in about 25 to 30 grams per day and allow berries, nuts etc. And I have a weekend something(muffins, cheesecake, etc) on top of the 25-30 grams per day. After bout 10 more pounds I will start the OWL for keeps.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 17:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i eat 20-25 gram of carbs daily or less on some occasions. i call it owl not induction although i eat the same foods as stated on induction...??
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 22:57
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I eat 20-30 carbs a day and plan to stay at about 25 carbs until I get much closer to goal.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 23:43

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I recommend you only do induction for a short time ( 2 - 4 weeks) for the following reasons:

3) If you stall, you can fall back to induction levels... less likely to do something drastic like change plans or a fasting diet.

I totally agree with this, thanks no wonder

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 08:26
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

Quote:

I tried around November/December raising the carb levels to between 20 and 30 and beginning to include nuts and some berries and ricotta (stuff not allowed on induction). Based on the fact that I had weeks where I didn't lose (and one where I gained a pound) I decided to go back to induction until I am quite a bit closer to goal. Also, I personally don't feel deprived on Induction foods, so I don't feel tempted to cheat.

Though, I think that like many other things with this WOE, YMMV.