Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:35

Plan: adkins
Stats: 198/171/155
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default maltitol

Since finding this site I have learned a great deal - and also become totally confused. I found this site after my hubby found some carbolite bars at a 7-11. I went to their site and in some way ended up here. This site is great. But all the discussion on maltitol has confused me, so I am searching on my own. I found this one quote from a bar called Chocoslim which I guess is sold in Canada -
"The advantages of using these specific sweetening agents with reference to blood glucose levels are the absorption factors. When compared to sucrose (which is completely absorbed through active transport) Maltitol and Inulin are disaccharides which cannot cross the intestinal wall and require a preliminary hydrolysis to do so. This hydrolysis is very slow, therefore the bulk of the ingredients are not absorbed by the small or large intestine and are excreted out of the bowel without being converted to energy that the body can absorb into the blood stream. Acesulfame Potassium does not cross the intestinal wall, therefore no absorption takes place, thus the energy value of zero."

Any thoughts or inputs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Dear Natanya, welcome.

Yes, it can be confusing. What you have come across is a basic description of the digestion of sugar alcohols indeed.

Have you read the excellent article, about the sugar alcohols and other sweeteners and the part(s) that are important to us and our health, as written by our own Doreen SuperAdministrator? This might help clarify some of these questions for you, the research has been done. Just look over on the right of your screen, there's a Quick Link there, The Truth About LowCarb Sweeteners Info.

Other than offering this suggestion to you, I'm not sure what you're asking for...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 12:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, there's an article that deals specifically with Sugar Alcohols that goes into greater detail. Click on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top of the page .. You'll find it there in the articles index.

For some people, the sweet taste alone can trigger the release of insulin, and perpetuate carb addictions. Sugar alcohols really are a YMMV thing. My advice is, read the articles mentioned, check out the links provided and then if you choose to consume these products, proceed with caution.

Doreen