Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:00

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 137/133/120
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default how much?

hi i just started induction and am on my 4th day. no more headaches and the carb cravings are lessening. im keeping my carb intake 18-20 a day and drinking lots of water. everything is going well except i find myself bingeing, even though im still eating only 20 carbs. is this bad? will i still lose weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question What binge?

Hi fairyCute! I was reading your post, and I don't quite understand what you are binging on so I don't know how to answer.

What do your carbs consist of? Lots of veggies? Maybe if you posted a typical day we could help.

Keep up the great work!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:26

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

if you're bingeing on zero-carb foods, no problem. I ate cheese and high-fat stuff like you wouldn't believe for the first ten days...then the urge went away and I entered the phase most folks do of struggling to get in sufficient calories to keep my metabolic rate up. If the same thing doesn't happen for you by the end of induction, you may want to start applying some sort of control to yourself--limiting portions, or limiting times you eat to only four a day, or something. But not yet--just let your body try and get in those healthy fats it has probably not had for a good long time until it's satisfied.

congratulations on getting through that rough period! It's sooo nice to live craving-free, you'll find.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:04

BF:

thanks for the reassurance yes i find myself bingeing on zero-carb or very low carb foods (cheese) but still stay at the 20 carb limit and drink the water. i still think ive lost about 2-3 pounds in these 4 days. also off the subject - but i am ADDICTED to diet dr. pepper. i havent had any since i started this WOL but is it really forbidden? why?? thanks this is a big help!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:11

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Post re; diet soda

When i started this diet, i was the same as you as far as the diet beverages go, but i knew i wasnt supposed to have them because of the aspartame (apparently, it could stall your weight loss)..so anyway, in the beginning, i would just keep a sixteen ounce bottle handy and take a swig whenever i felt a real craving for it or when i needed to taste something sweet. i am glad to say that the increase in the water i was drinking has resulted in me wanting to drink nothing but water. i havent had any diet soda at all in quite a while.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:35

BF:

yeah the caffeine withdrawal was REAL bad on the 1st day. its not so bad anymore. i know that if i drink just ONE can, my cravings wil go way up an i wont be able to stop drinking the stuff. so, might as well not drink it at all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:55

BF:
Smile re diet soda

Hey....
well im glad to see its getting easier for you..and im sure your right about the one can thing.
What plan are you following? it doesnt say it by your member info.

#8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:01

BF:

well to be honest im not SURE what plan im on im just doing induction right now , on day 4...20 carbs or less a day plus 8-10 glasses of water. trying to exercise more. i guess this is atkins? im planning to get the book soon.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:12

BF:
Thumbs up re: what plan

I am on induction too. For me, the weight seems a bit slow in coming off, but mentally and physically i feel great and have no desire to binge on the forbidden foods. The book is well worth your time and money..its an extra reinforcement for support and understanding the whole thing helps too. i had started off with the older version (i had already had the book) and just picked up the new version this past weekend. They are basically the same, with just some new alterations.
Are you keeping a journal and gym log? (on this site). I find it extremely helpful..and with the gym log, it makes me feel good to see how much i am doing every day.
Either way..good luck to you...we can do this!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 18:58

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I was drinking between 8 and 20 cans of Diet Pepsi a day (it was how I got all of my water on most days) and I stopped cold turkey. Talk about an absolutely miserable Day 2.

But I have only had 1 can in six weeks (last weekend because I was getting dehydrated and no other source of water was around). I was hoping that it would taste horrible to me - but it tasted OK, not as good as I remembered it but I still enjoyed it. I was fearingthat it would start me craving it again. I lucked out there.

Stick out the two weeks and then ask yourself if you really need it bad enough to risk stalling your weight loss over?

Keep up the good work.