Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Donating Blood Question

Hello! I have donated blood for many, many years, and it time to do so again. However, is this possible on this WOL? I have not seen this discussed here, and if so, please direct me where to look.

Anyway, they always want you to eat cookies & drink juice after you donate. Obviously that is a no-no, but is there an alternative?

And no, I won't donate the week they are giving coupons for a dozen glazed Krispy Kremes. Really. I promise. It won't happen.
Sigh.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:11

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%

I haven't donated blood this time around on the LC WOE - however, when I was doing this for about two years a few years ago I donated blood with no additional problems. I have always had very low blood pressure so when I give I have to lay there for a long time before I get up otherwise I hit the floor - but besides that there shouldn't be a problem!

Good for you to donate regularly - I used to because it is so important but these days i "just can't find the time" and that is a bad excuse so you are spurring me to get back into the habit! Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:13

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Take your own drink and snack with you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Donating blood

Donating your blood is not only OK it is encouraged. In Protein Power Lifeplan the Eades recommend that we donate whenever possible - especially if you are a post menopausal woman. A build up of iron in the blood has been linked to heart disease - donating is the only way to get rid of this excess.

All you really need to ensure after giving blood is that you are sufficiently hydrated. Be sure to drink before you go and take water with you. Have nuts or something LC legal with you after in the event you feel you need it.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 11:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default My advice

You have to eat a good breakfast before you go and drink at least a liter of water. The first time I donated I fainted, the second time after doing what I suggested I didn't feel faint at all!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

The only difference when I'm low carbing is that I don't have to have my blood pressure taken twice. I tend to have "white coat syndrome," but when I'm on track my first reading is low enough to be within the acceptable limit. Oh, and when they do the hemoglobin test, my blood drop sinks like a stone.

Do drink lots of water--the nurses at Canadian Blood Services say it goes faster if you do.

I usually skip the snacks anyway and have never suffered any ill effects, but if you're afraid they'll get bent out of shape if you don't eat something, bring some nuts or cheese.

Susan
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 20:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

Just on the note of iron stores in the body...

As a graduate of the Been There Done That School of Anemia Still Happens, PREmenopausal women do lose iron with their monthly cycle. If your cycles are heavy, anemia can be a problem. Also, if you've been eating the standard lowFAT diet for the last number of years, avoiding read meats and eggyolks ... it could take a few months of lowcarbing and consuming adequate iron-rich foods to top up the body's stores.

As Nat pointed out, excess iron is a concern for men, and POSTmenopausal women.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 16:18

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Talking I work at Canadian Blood Services

So, let me tackle these questions for you. I must say up front that I am not one of the clinic staff, I'm the office admin. but I can answer your questions. I'm also a blood donor, of course!!

You absolutely can give blood on this WOE. Remember these key things:

It is very important to be well fed and well hydrated. Have a hearty breakfast, and if possible, make your appointment for after lunch as well.

Drink lots of water, and if you are still drinking coffee avoid caffeine as much as possible that day. Being dehydrated may cause you to feel light headed and even faint. If you faint more than once or twice, they will permanently defer you from donating for your own safety.

Take your own snack with you for afterward. You can bring whatever you like. Just ask one of the volunteers in the refreshment are to put it in the fridge for you. They will be more than happy to help you. There should be some decaf coffee and there is always water.

If at any time during the donation process you are not feeling well, you can always end the donation. You don't have to finish it.

If you have any medical concerns at all, you can always call and speak to a nurse at the same number you use to book your appointment. Simply ask to speak to the Donor Information Nurse and she (or he) will answer any questions you may have. If she doesn't know the answer, she'll find out and get back to you. The number in BC is 1-888-236-6283. That number may work for the rest of Canada as well, I'm not sure tho.

That's the technical answer out of the way. Now, a couple of the nurses and I have a theory about donating. We figure that it will actually help you lose weight because your body will be burning more calories while it's replacing the blood! I like that idea!!!

It's a great thing to do, and Sailfish, if you make an appointment your in and out in about 45 minutes. No more excuses!!

What a coincidence that I saw this thread! I wonder if I can claim overtime for this?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Smile Thanks!

The mobile van will be here Tuesday and I will be sure to bring my water and a snack.

A special thanks to dizzyd for the informed info! It's nice to think that doing good for others may actually be good for me as well.