Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 00:07

Plan: DR. ATKINS DIET
Stats: 162/160/135
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question ON HORMONE REPLACEMENT

PRE-MENOPAUSE AND ON HORMONE REPLACEMENT, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN TELL ME IF WHILE ON MEDICATION
HOW OFTEN THE WEIGHT IS COMING OFF ON THE DR. ATKINS
DIET? I DON'T GAIN WEIGHT VERY QUICK AND SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON ESTROGEN AND PRIM-PRO I HAVE GAINED 25 POUNDS
VERY QUICKLY. PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS IF YOUR WALKING IN MY SHOES.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 12:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/139/130
BF:
Progress: 64%

You might be on to something here. My mother is on horomones and she is finding it very difficult to lose weight. Shes just been diagnosed with type II diabetes. Shes very fustrated and has consultaed her doctor and HE didnt mention anything about the horomone replacement. HE suggested a mild antidepressant. (This would decrease her hunger.) She decided against the meds. Thank god. Shes been on a low carb diet for 3 years. So shes not a rookie.I'm really interested in this horomone replacment. I have read that the extra estorgen is not that good for you? Something to the effect of your heart or heart disease. I'm not sure but I know that what I read was not positive. I would love to hear from others.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:01

Plan: Aikens
Stats: 182/182/162
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default HRT Pros and Cons

I can only speak for myself
the HRT relieved the hot flashes, mood swings and sleep disturbance
i was on the patch for the first 5 weeks of the Aikens Diet and found, contrary to what is mentioned that i did lose weight
But after reading some material on studuies that have been done I have decided to discontinue the useof HRT
You might check out the MSN address
http://content.health.msn.com/conte...icle/1676.52748
this is a great site
Aikens says that estrogen will block wieght loss
I will soon find out..if i lose more that i have been
it would be grand to hear from someone else out there
<')))><
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/134/116
BF:
Progress: 10%

Diet-Now,
I'm not on HRT, but I have been on the pill, and on tamoxifen and raloxifene. Birth control pills contain estrogen, which can make you gain weight. In my case, I gained around my abdomen.
Tamoxifen and raloxifene block estrogen from entering estrogen receptors in breast cancer cells, but in other ways they behave LIKE an estrogen (for example combatting osteoperosis). When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, another survivor I knew told me that tamoxifen "makes your stomach big," and, indeed, when I was on it I gained a bit more around my middle. Now I'm on raloxifene, and I have lost very little weight on Atkins (I also haven't been completely compliant). However, my stepmother has been on tamoxifen for nearly five years, and has remained slim -- this is because she exercizes. She runs several miles a day or plays tennis. She did tell me that on tamoxifen she is more prone to gaining weight if she overeats, especially carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:55

Plan: adkins
Stats: 131/131/120
BF:

new diet,

I was on HRT for seven years. I gained 30 lbs. I started Adkins and lost about 6 lbs and stopped. Read where estrogen could be a weight loss blocker. I wasn't happy about taking the estrogen anyway,(do you know what premarin is made of?) so I stopped taking the HRT and went with a natural replacement. My Dr. was put out with me, but I feel better and have lost 25 lbs. I feel great and I do get a bone density test once a year. It works for me! The HRT never completly stopped the flashes or the mood swings, the natural actually works better for me. Hope this helps you some
miss cindy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:26

BF:
Default natural replacement ?

Quote:
Originally posted by misscindy
new diet,

, the natural actually works better for me. Hope this helps you some
miss cindy

Dear miss cindy:
Thanks so much for your encouraging post
I wonder if you could direct me to the natural repalcement you are using?
I also have just stopped with the HRT
The un-natural periods (lasted 7 to 8 days) were scary.
My moods were insane especially when I went on the progesterone part of the cycle
gosd help the others if i was a pilot or a surgeon!!!!
My bone density is great anyway and i have it checked as well.
Once again, i thnk you for the post
have a grand day
<')))><
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 23:39

Stats: 213/213/150
BF:

Dr. Atkins suggests B vitamin folic acid (30-60mg), boron (6-12mg) and natural progesterone can allow for significant dosage reduction of Premarin without sideeffects usually seen with estrogen withdrawal. What symptoms accompany withdrawal. And...my pharmacist says the usual tablet of folic acid has 400 mcg and it would take 50 tablets to comply with Dr. Atkins suggested dosage. Is there any information on reducing Premarin on the site or does anyone have a suggestion of how to get rid of the weight gain caused by HRT
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 07:09

BF:

The name of the natural is remifemin or remifemin plus. the plus has St Johns Wort in it. I get it from my chiropracter. I have taken it for about one year now. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I do still have mild hot flashes, but I did on the premarin also. It took about two weeks to notice the effects of it, and the longer I took it the better I felt. I slowly tapered off of the premarin myself. I was taking .625 a day, the lowest dosage. I started on the remifemin and would take the premarin every other day.then after two weeks I stopped it completely.
This is a natural replacement for estrogen I am not sure about progesterone. there are progesterone creams at the health food stores. I didn't need the progesterone after a hysterrectomy. But I had been on it before. what a terrrible time that was!!!! You talk about something seriously messing you up. I hope this info has helped you. I am not sure of the spelling of remifemin, but it is close. i am at work and it is at home LOL
cindy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 09:18

BF:
Default Remifemin

Dear misscindy
thank you so much for the information
I will certainly give Remifmein a try
I rmember reading an article on it once and somehow forgot all I read
have a great day
<')))><
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 07:35

Stats: 147/134/120
BF:
Progress: 48%
Cool Great Information

My Mom has been low carbing with us since Jan. and she's lost inches, but she isn't losing as fast as she'd like and she's been very true to the 20-30 carbs per day. But she likes the way she feels so she's stuck with it. Now I can tell her it's the estrogen that's slowing everything down. She'll be so happy to know it isn't hidden carbs in her diet. Has anyone on HRT not needed as high of a dosage since low carbing? I know that my Mom is on a high dosage because her skin dries out and she would like to lower the dosage. Thanks for the info. You guys are great.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 12:23

BF:
Default high dosage

I know in the Aikens' Diet Revelution, he mentions that estrogen will sefinately slow down the weight loss
I also know that estorgen needs fat to store itself in, so in a lot of people extra fat seems to come on at menopause
Certainly for me it did
I am going to try the Remifemine that misscindy mentioned
If you need some information on the Remifemine
Looking it up on the web could be a good idea or getting some printed matter from a health food store..
helps
<')))><
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 23:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:
Default I was going to start a thread but then saw your post:

Hi,

I'm on the pill- this is my first month- and I've gained 6 pounds!!! I am not happy with this at all. I've been doing Atkins for 3 weeks now and nothing has come off. I'm 38 and recently had a baby, I'm now wondering if I should try another WOE, any suggestions?

Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 06:57

BF:

OCEANGIRL,

I wish I could help you with the birth control pills, but I have no experiance with them or if they will stall your weight loss. I can assume that if they have estrogen they are stalling you. Someone younger will need to help you with that one. Please wait for an answer before you decide to change to another method of eating other then atkins.

miss cindy
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5 feet 11
BF:

Thank you misscindy for the reply.
I don't know what I'm going to do about this dilemma...right now I feel very disappointed in myself....on the pity pot- because I am angry for the additional pounds. The strange thing is that my clothes are fitting better- I can't figure this out!

Hopy your day is good
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 12:00

BF:

You didn't say, are you doing a work out of some kind regularly? That could account for the clothes fitting differently

Miss cindy :