Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Mike's Story

View Article Article tools
  #16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/148/140
BF:
Progress: 20%

Wow, Mike! Thanks for your story. You look great!! I have printed out your rules to keep on my frig. You are such an inspiration. I too am curious about your friend.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile Replies to all and Thanks

tracys - Thanks so much for your kind words. My friend Lee is still grossy obese, and grows more so everyday regardless of my good-natured attempts to get him to cross the low carb chasm. I hope he will do something (anything) before it's too late.

AlanRhoads - Thanks, I appreciate it. Just because I manage a diet well doesn't mean I make house values rise

hj'smom -I have no doubt you an do it if you stick to it. Good Luck! Remember the bes way to get encouragement is to give it, and you have!

marcus - Thank you for the bit about the writing. I am an amateur fiction writer and am currently finishing up my second audio book for TimeFare productions (I read them so you can listen). All of my hobbies besides Tae Kwon Do are sit downs. . .so if I can do this, anyone can. Good Fortunes.

Sadai - Thank you for buffing up my ego with your compliments. I think we all deal with issues (some being more niche-like than others) as more info becomes available on Lee I will post it.

razzle - Thank you for the rules comments. The rules were just something I wanted to put together for people to use as a guide if they were just starting out. I tried protein dieting for several years before this last attempt finally paid off. Just a helpful hint or two. As for Lee. . .only time will tell but he is bitter about my success more than overjoyed. It's an unfortunate thing to have a frien envy you.

shannonlee - With determination and hope you can do anything. It's not the dress that is going to matter, but whether or not you can fit into yourself. I can tell by your writing that you are especially nice. . .but when you face the weight monster it is better t be a raging beast : ). I've been overweight all my life as well, it' a tough battle and there will be times when everything seems lost. . .don't ever give in. Find your hope and run with it.

donnaj - tell your brother and sister that its funner to make rules than to follow them, and wish them my luck. Adventure are better when shared.

Pearl - Do not use me as motivation...use yourself. You have the strength to do whatever you wish to do. Regardless of what it is you feel you need to do, do it. Exercise hard but don't be too hard on yourself. Remember this as well - just when you think you have it down pat, the world will try to show you that you don't. : )

Crazy Curly - Thanks. It was a lot of harwork, and the future is harder and more uncertain to face. I've spent so much of my life trying to reduce back to a normal weight, that now that I'm so close I don't knowwhat to do (and no, I won't become the dread pirate roberts : ) ) Thanks again.

Tamarian - You have always been my inspiration on this board. Thanks for everything.

Kev wain - I don't need to inspire others as much as I need to inspire myself. Inspiring others on the short term is easy, making it last is much more difficult. If losing all the weight again would help people even more, I'd do it again. NEVERMIND. I lied. It's a tough road.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 14:10
Registered Member

Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Default For Shannonlee

Shannon,

You are doing a terriffic job and please hang in there! I was married two years ago and was near #200 and I had to accept that, acknowledge that I was a beautiful bride, and enjoy the day to its fullest! Dont worry about the dress right now, just worry about feeling good about yourself. The mere fact that you are losing weight right now is a WONDERFUL thing! Anyway, keep up the good work...you are already a success story!!!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 19:34
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hello Shannon and Sophie,
Shannon, Sophie is right. You are doing great.
Donna
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 07:12

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Crowis,

Your story is very inspiring!
Big guys need all the role models they can get.

Sometimes I feel that men can't express themselves in traditional ways - like that of the warrior, and therfore it's difficult to self-actualise and attack our problems.

You've inspired me to take up Martial Arts!

LC_Dave
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 09:58

Stats: 322/315/210
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Thanks Sophie

I really needed that. Encouragement does wonders. I've had a hard time sticking to this program. I just keep coming back to this site because of how good it makes me feel. People like you Sophie are what makes this site so great!

I hope you have a great day cause I know I will

-Shannon
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:27
Registered Member

Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Default Keep smiling Shannon!

Your thread really cheered me up. I can just remember feeling the way that you must right now, knowing that you want to lose the weight for the wedding yet feeling SSSSOOOOOO much pressure that (at least I did) you just CANT lose it. Thats the way I am anyway, if I feel pressure for an event I almost talk myself out of looking good. Crazy things we do huh? Your husband (fiance) and family love you REGARDLESS of your weight. Do it for yourself Shannon, not the others. You'll know when its time. I cant remember, did you say if you were exercising? I know that sure helps me stay on the ball. I guess though that different things work for different people and do what works for you! But the most important thing for you to remember, its the most special day of YOUR life, so no matter what the scale says, Shannon is going to be a BEAUTIFUL BRIDE!!!!

I'll keep looking for ya!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 21:01

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

What a wonderfully honest and powerful post!!

You are very attractive man now!!! and Im sure the last 30 will come off too, you wont know what to do with all the attention

Well done and my very best wihes for your future success and happiness
Attached Images
File Type: gif congrat smile.gif (6.4 KB, 119 views)
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 17:21

Stats: 255/233/160
BF:I don't know
Progress: 23%

I just wanted you to know that I cried reading your story. I don't know why, but I feel so proud for you. Maybe because I have been there, and I so totally understand. Thank you so much for the inspiration!! Keep up the good work.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 21:30

Plan: None yet
Stats: 155/155/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Congratulations!!

Hi Mike,

Not only is your story inspirational, but you should consider a career in writing, loved reading your success story on many different levels. I hope that you have continued success with the loss/maintenance. Good luck in achieving many more of your dreams.

Nilda
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 13:05

Plan: Atkins/My own
Stats: 140/140/110
BF:

Mike, you are gorgeous!!! And more importantly, you sound like a wonderful human being. You are very articulate and your story was not only EXTREMELY inspirational to me, it was also entertaining...you have quite a talent for writing. I'm just beginning this WOE after 4 years of wallowing in "comfort" food and packing on the pounds. Thank you for sharing your story.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 18:16

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%

It's been a while since you started this thread, but I just found it and am compelled to reply. Not only are you a talented writer, but a very compassionate person. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Success could not have happened to a nicer guy! I too am at work and just shed a tear. Your words are very moving. I can't help but think this process, your "re-birth", just might contibute to your success as a writer. I think we all have to experience pain and discomfort to really appreciate the very basic good in life. Take care.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 16:58
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default THANK YOU FOR SHARING !

I just wanted to thank Mike for sharing... I am just beginning this low carb way of life and I am so excited - excited that I found a 'diet' that I am not starving and grumpy - one that I actually have more energy than I have had in years! I have so enjoyed reading about everyones success! I very much enjoyed Mike's suggestions and helpful hints! Thanks again Mike - Karen S. I'd love to hear how you are doing now... (kemss3~yahoo.com)
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 22:58

Stats: 260/260/190 Male 6'
BF:

What a great story. Thank you for sharing it! I am in the position now that I know I must exercise. I have a block up and I need to move past it. Continued success to you! Ken
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 23:09

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

i was laughing then nearly crying in the space of three seconds when you mentioned the food wars , then lee's defeat

way to go Mike