Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Freaking out!

Ok....I am totally flipping out here. I just weighed in and the scale is telling me I gained ten pounds! Took my measurements and I have stayed the same in some spots and gained at least 1/2 inch in other spots i wouldnt want to gain inches. I know my time of the month is vast approaching, but ten pounds! I dont think so. I have never had that much water gain before. I havent even been doing the full twenty carbs a day! This is sooooooo not good!
And this is with religously exercising every day! Would someone mind please reviewing my journal and gym log and giving me a little insight here..this weight gain is sooooo not an option.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:18
Jerzee

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Although I am no expert

Could it be that with all that working out that you are turning fat into muscle. I know 10lbs is a bit much in one day but muscle weighs more than fat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I answered your original post in the Atkin's forum.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:57

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default No need to freak

You are probably gaining some muscle which might account for a bit of the gain, plus some water if time of month is approaching. Your weight and measurements are no good to measure on a day to day basis, you can't really develop a true sense of your progress based on the performance of one day. I'm sure you know that but it is easy to freak when you just look at the numbers and not the overall picture.

Don't think that you are doing yourself any favours by not even eating the 20 grams of carbs. You are probably stalling out because you are not getting enough carbs. You need them. They are not there just for fun. Your body needs the fibre in them to clean you up from the inside out. Look at your books again, rethink your program, and try not to be in "DIET" mode here. I think I do that sometimes, think that the more extreme I take things the better it will be, exercise harder, eat even less...it leads to burn out and less success.

Keep going, give it a few days.

Mari
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 18:51

BF:
Post re: freaking out

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I just am feeling really discouraged. I am certain that maybe a small fraction may be that I am building muscle..but like you said..ten pounds is too much for that to account to all of it. I really feel like throwing in the towel on this thing.
Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:46

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

it's impossible gain or lose more than about .3 pounds of fat in a day, so there's no reason to flip out. Everything else a person loses or gains must be water or lean body mass (harder to put on or take off rapidly than fat!) A salty meal plus TOM plus a home scale could easily equal ten pounds gained in water/error.

If you exercise a lot, it's quite possible that 148 is a good weight for your height. Why not get your body fat tested and forget about the scale, aiming for 20% body fat instead?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 16:50

BF:
Smile re; freaking out

Hey Razzle....
I agree with you. It was just a real shock to see those numbers. I hadnt weighed in in a few days and it just kind of threw me...sometimes, as happy as you are for your fellow dieters, its hard to see soo much success with none to call your own. i am over it now though. i didnt call it quits and am still going strong. i am going to stay off the scale for a while and not do my measurements..figure i will make an appointment with the gym at the nurse for the body fat percentage thing in about another week. The scale is use is one of the ones at the gym...like you find in a doctor's office.
Anyway..thanks again. you have been a big help with your responses to me. i appreciate it.

#8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

The scale at my gym is out for calibration--I imagine they get a lot of abuse. Too bad, last time I weighed myself on it, it said I was 25 lb lighter.

Susan
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:59

BF:
Thumbs up re scale

Wow clw....twenty five pounds! I'd be dancing in the streets.
By the way...I see you are having great success on PP, I meant to pick that book up over the weekend....is it easy to follow?

#10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 20:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Jennifer,

Well there was momentary exultation, but I realized that my scale couldn't be that inaccurate, and the next time I went to the gym the scale was gone.

I've been following PP for almost two years (July 2000); I had a long stall and then did a bit of backsliding, but I'm doing well now, albeit slowly. I don't think there are huge differences between the basics of Atkins and PP. The quick links bar on the right side of the page has a plan comparison (Which low-carb plan is right for me?) that can probably explain it better than I can. I like PP because it goes into more detail about how it works than Atkins did when I started this.

By all means read PP to learn the mechanics of how this works, but you're better off sticking to one plan--it makes it easier for people here to give you a hand if you have questions.

Susan
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 00:19

BF:
Post re; plan

Hello clw!
Thanks for taking the time to address my questions. I agree about sticking to one plan..was just curious and how easy you found following PP.
Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!