Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 23:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%
Unhappy is this ture?

That even though it says "2' net carbs you should treat it like it really has all 15, so if you ate what you thought was 20 you really went way over by adding the extra carbs that the package says do not effect your body in the same ways such as sugar alcohol or whatever other things they use in place of real sugar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 01:39

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

yes its true. You still absorb the sugar alcohol carbs, just not as quickly as regular carbs. You can really only subtract fiber.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 05:47

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've learned the hard way that they really do count. Some people count 25%, 50%, or 75% but I count 100% just to be on the safe side. It's true that they are absorbed but just slower than 'regular' carbs. I stay away from them except for once-in-a-blue-moon when I'm worried that it's either the sugar alcohols or I might go off plan with real sugar
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 08:04

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

Indeed it is true. Think of those bars as a less evil candy bar, but a candy bar nonetheless. Whether or not they stall you is pretty much based on your own body, but the only thing I subtract from the total carb number is fiber -- it's the only thing that's not absorbed.
d.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 154/133/136 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 117%

I agree with everyone here. A good rule of thumb (for everything really :-) ) is to never go by what's on the front of a package. Always read the nutrition label.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:32

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I disagree...BUT this is why I do.

Some people tend to have to count all the sugar alcohol carbs because their bodies do "count them"...other people may use some but not all, others it does not seem to affect them at all. I am the middle tier. So I count half of the sugar alcohols. BUT I rarely eat these types of products...occasional candy Bar or a Shake is the extent of it. So I would say see how you are doing with the consumption of sugar-alcohol products and then be the judge on how many of these carbs you should count.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:03

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

OH man, that sucks I really like haveing the chocolate peanut butter ice cream every now and again, it seems if I let myself eat like 1/2 the serving( a serving being 1/2 a cup) I don't want to quit and I do the diet perfectly (except that). I don't eat it everyday just sometimes, but if you count all the carbs it is like 15 a serving, if you don't it is like 2, so I thought I was doing okay!

When I fist did this WAY back in 03 lol they did not have all these yummy things we could not even find the bread! Now I am back on and every were I look LC candy LC bread and I know for the most part it is crap, I guess it was just easier before when I could not buy this stuff!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/198/185 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

This first time I tried this I bought the low card bread, treats, pancake mix etc. I thought as long as I kept it under 20-30g I would be fine. Besides, it was all Atkins brand, so it should be ok right......wrong. At least for my body.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:25

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

You can make your own low carb candy and ice cream using only splenda for sweetener... the ice cream recipe using the heavy cream and freezer bags in the recipe section of this forum is excellant....better than any low carb ice cream I ever tried....you can make it any flavor you want by adding things to it....I made butter pecan and it was great!

I also made some choclate squares once using the unsweetened dark chocolate and butter, heavy cream and splenda....you melt it all together and then I put it in ice cube trays and in the freezer till frozen and then popped them out into a container and stored them in the freezer and just had one when I really needed a chocolate fix.... this way you get no sugar alcohols at all.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:38

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Yeap, they count for me too. When I first saw them I thought they were too good to be true, and they were. They stalled me for a while, until I realized that was the problem.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 05:23

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I totally agree with making your own desserts/treats at home! The Ziploc ice cream is great. Even DH loved it and he hates artificial sweeteners I make the chocolate peanut butter cups occasionally and they are KILLER! That's why it's only occasionally that I make them
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 08:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/187/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Guess I am lucky cause I can eat sugar alcohol and it doesn't effect me a bit! Guess you just have to test it out and see what happens. Every body is different!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 08:29

Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

This is why I've never bought the pre-packaged "treat" type foods. I feel that if I'm going to treat myself I should know what's in it, and make it myself.

To me, buying a tub of "low carb" ice cream is just as bad as buying regular. It's always sitting in the freezer, calling you, "Oh, come on... just a few more spoonfuls."

No way.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 09:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I count the net carbs only BUT, I rarely eat them. For example, I had a piece of lc candy yesterday just to feed my chocolate craving. I won't have another pice of candy for weeks. They do not affect my weightloss negatively at all. Candy is junk so treat it like junk food only become stricter with it.