Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 01:43
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default My Relationship with food is dysfunctional

I've finally decided to view my relationship with food like I would any other relationship. So I have to ask myself; What am I putting into it and what am I getting out of it. I have to have a relationship with food because its needed for my survival, its not like alcohol or smoking that a person can give up completely. Or someone I can leave or divorce, its got to be in my life. So I have to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food or it will continue to be a dysfunctional relationship that will bring me a lot of pain. I can't blame my weight on food, its how I interact with food. I use it and abuse it and pay a price not only on the scale but in how I feel about me. So my journey is not just weight loss, its learning how to have a healthy relationship with food.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 11:05

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

yay, betsy! What a great way to look at it. I love watching members coming to new and useful and healthful understandings of themselves.

Keep up the good work.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 321/314/175
BF:
Progress: 5%

Betsy,

I liked your post. It is so true! We have got to eat!

I have always admired the people in life who see food for what it is ....fuel for their body. I have always viewed it as a reward and a comfort, and treated myself accordingly. It is a sick, twisted way to view food, especially when you have over a hundred pounds to lose.

I should be treating my body to exercise and healthy food....not sugar and junk food.

So I am really trying to balnce everything and enjoy healthy food. There is sooo much of it I like. But, I try to keep perspective on it and not use it when I am depressed or stressed, (2 of the times I tend to go crazy on food). I've noticed when I don't bury my sorrows in food, I actually try to face the problem...a very interesting approach.....facing my problems!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 01:21
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile

You're approach sounds excellent! In fact, you've inspired me some - thank you!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 08:33

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Ultimately my relationship with ME!

{Betsy: I have to have a relationship with food because its needed for my survival, its not like alcohol or smoking that a person can give up completely.} I have read some incredibly fascinating biographies of people across the centuries, across the globe who did not have even that relationship with food. In fact I have met an incredibly beautiful, vital woman who stopped eating in 1992.

I love my food too much to even want to be like her - albeit the idea of never going food shopping or washing up does appeal!

You are right though - most people here (including me) need to examine their relationship with food. I figure ultimately it boils down to my relationship with me and what triggers dysfunctional behaviour within me, be it eating or otherwise.
Enjoy the journey.
Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:20
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Wow...I don't think I'd want to go without food, either! I've always been told that really messes with your metabolism and heck, I need mine going as fast as I can get it to go!!