Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 278/270/220
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default It's me - The world will never be the same

Hello to all! First off, let me introduce myself. Alan - male - 44 yrs old - with roughly 50 lbs to lose. I stumbled upon this forum during a search for information on sugar alcohols. WHAT A WEALTH OF INFORMATION!!! I am totally impressed with the entire sight - the structure, the info, the comments of the members and how supportive everything seems to be regardless of the level they are currently at. Wish I'd have known about this before.

This is my second shot at LC. My wife purchases the PP Plan from Drs. Eades two years ago. We both started immediately. She quit after about a month and with limited results. One of her reasons was my level of success compared to her's. In two months I went from 256 to 220, bit Cholesterol count going from 276 to 188. I plateau'd right there and then the time of year happened that I absolutely hate - Halloween. Being a safety conscious person I reviewed my kids accomplishments of the eve and there were plenty of Butterfingers (which is now a swear word in my vocabulary). So off the wagon I went. With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, well, I was gone from LC.

What I've heard is true. If you start and succeed and then quit, you will regain what you lost plus 10 - 20 %. TRUE TRUE TRUE!!! So now, at 276 lbs, I am re-committing to this and I plan on doing it the entire way this time. My goal is to get to the 220 range (but weight isn't overly important to me) and to be so much healthier and vibrant and energetic and outgoing prior to next October that I can begin to convince the rest of my family that this is the way to go - Before we fill the house with candy - before the holiday pies and cakes and candies - before I allow myself to get pushed off the wagon again.

So here I am. I will not post daily but I will endeavor to practice humor and love and support to everyone I can. I'm looking forward to the help and the helping.

Feel free to contact me one on one if you'd like.

Now - LET'S GET GOING!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum, Alan, and back to LC Is your wife back on the LC wagon with you?

Have a good look around the forum, if you haven't already done so. There are some great links under "newbies' questions" in the thread stuck at the top called "Hot Links!" Many of the issues that you'll encounter as you return to LC are discussed. We also have a PP sub forum where all things PP are talked about

All the best !
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 17:15

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:
Progress: 9%

Welcome Alan! I know all too well the off the wagon situation, as my screen name indicates! I refer to myself as currently "running alongside the wagon" as I have restarted my life with CALP. I am an old hand at the program, having been on it for many months and lost a total of 93 lbs. (all of which, apparently had been stored somewhere on the property, judging from how easily I found it again), fell off and it took me a little over a year to hit rock bottom physically (and emotionally) from all of the insulin abuse carbs afforded me. Love to read posts from folks like you with wit and humor to spare!! Looking forward to seeing you around the forums. Turn your wife on to this fantastic site and she just may decide to join you regularly!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking G'day Alan!

Hey Alan,

Nice to see you returning to low carb!

This forum is excellent, and helps me keep on track!

Hope to talk to you in the future.

Good Luck!

LC_Dave
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/270/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Welcome Alan, may you gain as much knowledge, support and encouragement from this site as I have.

Maz
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 23:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/206/110
BF:
Talking Uggg

I sympathize with your wife! My husband loses weight WAAAAY faster than I do and I simply want to hit him That's just the way it works though, men burn faster, I can't remember the scientific evidence behind it but ugg just the same At least it's working in YOUR favor!

Good Luck, hopefully, by Halloween B**terfingers will disgust you!

Carrie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 07:37

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Welcome Alan

As you've already found there is lots of useful information on this site.

All the best with your return to low carbing. I also ask the question Will your wife be joining you?

A male colleague at work recently lost 21 lb this way and started low carbing at the same time as his girlfriend decided to try another method. Whilst she is loathed to indicate how much she has lost, it certainly does not compare with my colleague and I think she is bored and easily swayed with what she is currently doing.

So full steam ahead for you, at least.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 278/270/220
BF:
Progress: 5%
Question What about the wife???

Since several of you have asked about the wife, I thought it best I answer. Is she LC'ing? Not now. Is she in need of it? YES. Will she come around? Remains to be seen. My hope is she will notice such a significant difference in me that she'll desire to be drug along. She's a type A person and when her mind is made up, IT IS MADE UP PERIOD EOD. So it'll take a significant effort to get her started again. So I will continue to be as committed and supportive as humanly possible, but at the same time, realizing that I have to take care of myself or I will never be able to effect REAL change on anyone else. Time and prayers will tell.

P.S. Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am looking for a couple (or more) close buddies in here to share laughs and tears if nec. Drop me a note if interested.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 10:32

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:

As I mentioned before Alan, perhaps if she read some of these forums, she might be inspired to participate again. You can lead a horse to water...you know the story! And you're right...your example and support may be all she needs. Just glad you're back in the groove and feeling positive about it. Take care!