Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 07:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Communion?

Hey all,

I was sitting in church last night and when communion rolled around I got to thinking. Anyone know what the carb count for a communion wafer would be? We normally have fairly large ones--about 1-1/4". A member of the parish also frequently bakes unleavened bread and we end up with about a 1" square of that. It's probably a silly thing as I won't stop taking it anyway, but would like to know how much to reduce the carbs the rest of the day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 10:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't worry about it unless you had more than one. Communion is an act where you shouldn't have to worry about carbs!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 00:23

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's probably more in the wine unless you do it by intinction.

But I wouldn't worry about it at all. The amount will be miniscule and the frequency is so low that it just isn't an issue.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 07:16

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Didn't it say something in the DANDR book that if you've gotten into a situation in which there is no possible way of avoiding cards that, if eaten with 1 hour (?), you won't awaken the 'sleeping giant' (your insulin production) within you?

I realize humanity can figure out how to try to use that info in the wrong way, but in regards to communion ...one bite and one sip would only take matter of moments. If the above info is true, then there is no harm done.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:02

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't recall seeing that in DANDR, but it might well be there. That would also provide a link between Atkins and the "reward meal" of other plans.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:13

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I just looked in my version of DANDR (c 1999 ...a blue cover) on page 290. In the chapter that deals with 'Permanent Slimness in the Real World", it talks about the advantages & disadvantages of a "Mini-Binge" that was popularized by Drs. Rachel & Richard Heller. Were they the 'founders' of the reward meal idea?

Anyway, I don't get the idea that Atkins is advocating this mentality. He's just saying that if a carbohydrate "happens to jump into your mouth uninvited, you can do considerable damage control by finishing it before an hour is up." I think communion participants who are LCing needn't worry about that quick moment of carbing.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 08:15

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Bless you

I am sure you will not be sinning by taking communion and your ponderings have probably crossed all our minds.

When you are carb concious it is the little things that spark the curiosity. for example

How many carbs in licking your fingers after passing someone a jelly donut?

How many carbs in a lick of you childs ice cream?

What about that last potato chip that got left behind?

The single profiterole offered at dinner?

The communion wafer is of course only about 0.5 of a carb at that and is not going to trigger anything but the tasty morsels above although individually low are quite dangerous because they are enough to taste and go mmmmmm. I think I will have another. One won't do any harm.

So the moral is untill your church starts having donuts for communion you have the perfect food for the spirit.