Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 09:13

Plan: Dr. Adkins
Stats: 155/129/122
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Dr. Adkins Candy Bars

Help! I just ran Dr. Atkins Endulge Chocolate bar through the Low Carb Tool and found it had 10 carbs per bar. Is this true I have been eating at least 3 of these a day. I don't weigh but once a month, now I'm afraid to get on the scales
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 10:22

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Exclamation FAKE LOW CARB BARS

I'm surprise that they are only 10 grams per bar. Carb Solutions Bars advertise 2 grams but actually have 21 grams per bar!!!

I was eating about 4-6 per week (one a day)a month ago, and my weight lose stalled (I did not gain). When they changed the packaging they noted in fine print that they did not count carbs that did not effect low carb diets!! I stopped the bars at once and within a week lost 10 more lbs!!!

I felt lied too and cheated out of my money for following my dreams. The hidden carb counter is wonderful!!

Just stop those bars - NOW and see what happens during the next week. I know that you will be surprised!!

Good Luck!!!

#3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 01:08

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Three a day....??

Even the LC bars are advising not to have more than 1...

Do you see a pattern developing...can't eat just one? Some people experience cravings when their bodies eat anything sweet, artificiallly enhanced or not...YMMV. They are also suppose to cause a laxative effect in excess quantities. Tastes better than psylium, but I wouldn't recommend it!

If your still losing...hey, its your plan. More than likely though, this may be a key reason to get back to basics and up your good quality carbs approp. for the last few pounds...

Keep us posted...on the outcome of your experiment.

Bsayne
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 06:27

BF:

Thanks bsayne.....I won't weigh until March 1st....I'll let you know the outcome.......
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Swartzbein combo
Stats: 360/330/210 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:Unknown
Progress: 20%

Yes, I too used to eat the bars and chocolate bars, different brands. Come to find out that they don't list, ah, I believe it's 'sugar alcohols' such as sorbitol, mannitol when they add up the carbs, as they clain that these will not raise blood sugar levels and should therefore not be 'counted'.

Well my eyes were opened when I began measuring my bg levels more closely and watched them jump up from eating ANYTHING with sorbitol (or mannitol) in it. It was one of those low carb chocolate bars, delicious though they were, I realized I just couldn't afford to eat them anymore.

And now, I pretty much don't crave them even.

I can make my OWN pretty good chocolate 'fudge' now and then using unsweetened chocolate, cream, cream cheese, and some Stevia-but I can only have a VERY small quantity, and not eat it ALL the time.

'Course, everyone is different. I think they SHOULD list all the carbs though and let people decide/discover for themsevles how their bodies react.

From Emy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins combination
Stats: 278.8/269/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default hidden carbs

I read some of these posts this morning, and went and checked my own "low-carb" bars, and sure enough, they registered anywhere from 21 to 25 grams of carbs when calculated on the "hidden carbs" counter! I was shocked. No wonder I gained weight on the weekend I went out of town and relied heavily on them to stay away from carbs...or so I thought!

Thankfully, the protein shake I use actually came out LESS than the stated label content of 4 grams.

Has anybody found any bars that really ARE low carb?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:09

BF:
Default Re: FAKE LOW CARB BARS

Quote:
Originally posted by fishburg
I'm surprise that they are only 10 grams per bar. Carb Solutions Bars advertise 2 grams but actually have 21 grams per bar!!!

I was eating about 4-6 per week (one a day)a month ago, and my weight lose stalled (I did not gain). When they changed the packaging they noted in fine print that they did not count carbs that did not effect low carb diets!! I stopped the bars at once and within a week lost 10 more lbs!!!

I felt lied too and cheated out of my money for following my dreams. The hidden carb counter is wonderful!!

Just stop those bars - NOW and see what happens during the next week. I know that you will be surprised!!

Good Luck!!!

#8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:20

BF:

Well, today is the day I finally got the nerve to weigh after eating all my Adkins chocolate bars. But it is good news. I reached my goal by being under 130 before my birthday this month. Probably should have lost more . I have learned my lesson about the hidden carbs!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Wow..that is a lot of carbs for an Atkins bar! Doesn't that seem contradictory??? I never really followed Atkins perse - just watch my carbs but I keep them between 50 and 60. Works for me, so ...??

On the package of those bars, doesn't it give you the nutritional info? I honestly have never seen one and am seriously wondering.

Tx!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 00:24

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Nutrition labels

Quote:
Originally posted by starlite
On the package of those bars, doesn't it give you the nutritional info? I honestly have never seen one and am seriously wondering.

Tx!

Hi Starlite,

A typical low carb protein bar (I have a Designer Whey wrapper in front of me) looks like this:
Cals 170 protein 20g fat 4.5g Carb 5g. Now do the math:
prot 20x4 = 80; fat 4.5x9 = 40.5; carb 5x4 = 20; That's 140.5 calories. What about the other 30 or so calories? 30/4 = 7.5 hidden carbs.

When shopping for this kind of product, I'd recommend taking a calculator along to check the label because ALL the manufacturers write their labels like this. Deceptive? I think so, but obviously the FDA doesn't think so.

And as always, YMMV on these things
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:49
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks - Okay, I get it now. I appreciate your taking the time to clue me in - was feeling like a real dunce there..lol.