Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 20:55

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
But Heath, 56, found the diet restrictive and specialized foods rare and expensive.

I know how she feels...

So many times I've driven miles and miles looking for bacon or eggs or some broccoli. Good luck trying to find a cucumber at a store near you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 03:16

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

psssshhaw! I wish I could drive to find eggs and bacon! These foods are so rare I've had to start my own farm.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 05:24

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakkira
psssshhaw! I wish I could drive to find eggs and bacon! These foods are so rare I've had to start my own farm.

What animal do you raise that lays eggs and can be turned into bacon?

cjl (answer: turkey!)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 05:37

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fortunately for us here at the LC forum, economics has little to do with reality. Much of the so-called "low-carb" foods aren't low enough.

Properly done, most of us should have little need for candy bars, etc. These "Atkins-friendly" or whatever they call them is the wrong message.

If you are in ketosis, you are doing the diet correctly. As such, you should be having far less cravings for carbs or even any form of food, as appetitie tends to be suppressed, etc.

Falling off the wagon does happen, but it should have the guilt associated with it that is deserved. It seems to me that these products give the guilty an "out" thus backfiring and ruining the diet by "sliding" into a zone where you aren't on the diet anymore.

I know people who are occasionally motivated to "splurge" fully knowing that the event is going to cost them well over a month to recover from, but due to some social pressure, they anticipate and look forward to their transgressions.

Once past, guilt often does set in, but we have to tell them to just start over, and in 14 more days they should be back on the road again, etc.

Anyone got any totally concrete info about "net carbs"? Until someone shows me better, I think this is just a delusion designed to remove guilt while cheating, then scratching your head why the diet doesn't seem to work any more, etc.

I want some input such as constant ketostix monitoring, substituting the net-carb product for the same number of clear-count carbs, and showing no change in the ketostix reading, etc. I doubt if anyone can show that net carbs works!

In any case, ketostix needs to be emphasized for anyone who really wants to know where they stand on a daily basis. However/whatever you put into your mouth tempered with whatever exercise you did/didn't do, etc., the stix don't lie!

cjl ("deep purple"? Maybe just smoke on the water!)