Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 21:33
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Thank you too, Urban. Only find the diet hard because we are all carb freaks normally. This is a total lifestyle change and, as it's only been a few days, it's been rough. Maybe there should be a Bread Rehab!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't wory about his one drink. Men seem better able to handle alchol than women. The cooking situation sounds like more of a problem. It can be the kind of thing that sends you off this woe. You may have to play around with what works. Once you get off induction it gets much easier. You can premake breakfast quiches or wraps, then just reheat. Salads and soups are great for lunches, and they can be made in big batches. I make extra for dinner and send leftovers. Once you get past the first couple of weeks everything gets better.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 01:35
One day at a timer

Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I completely agree with judyr! I wouldn't worry about the one drink...but although it is sweet of you to be coordinating everyone's meals, you should try to make it a family thing. That way everyone begins to understand what it takes. They will eventually need to make their own way just because you can't always be there for them. Not to mention it would definately make it easier on you.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 10:15
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

87 pounds at 5'2? Am I reading that right? Yikes.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 10:55

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I find if I plan meals and prepare when convenient I can eliminate the early morning and last minute and everyone eats at a different time problems.

Make up salad veggies and put in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Buy full fat dressing but check the label for carbs--some also have sugar. Instant salad. This can be inhanced with sliced deli meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs.

Hard boil a bunch of eggs. These are good as snacks, great on salad, and you can make an egg salad in a few minutes. I add mayo, mustard, and a bit of garlic salt and pepper. YUMMY.

Make up egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, ham salad, shrimp salad, crab salad and put in refrigerator. With some green salad or a veggie, really quick lunch or dinner.

Make a quiche without a crust. Look in the recipe forum as there are great recipes for lunch and dinner quiche as well as breakfast ones. Cut a slice and nuke for a minute. Fast breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Make a LC cheesecake. This is induction level food if you make it without a crust and it doesn't need a crust. This makes a great quick breakfast, dessert, or snack.

Have cheese, cream cheese and celery ready. Cream cheese on celery is a great snack or addition to any meal.

I make chile without beans. Just heat in microwave.

I make a cabbage roll soup. Brown ground beef, add onions, cook until onions are tender, add a package of cole slaw mix from the produce section, add tomato juice and seasonings to taste, I use salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook until cabbage is tender. This reheats well.

Precook some chicken breasts and hamburgers. These can be reheated in microwave quickly. Add cheese and/or salsa.

Put any meat with or without veggies and seasonings in a crock pot.

Make Spongebob's flax bread (or as muffins). This makes a great breakfast with cheese or cream cheese. Your husband could do his own breakfast with the bread, cream cheese, and some deli meat at least some days.

It will get easier after induction.

Don't be angry with your husband. You are doing a very good thing helping him with this food plan but he is ultimately responsible for what he eats. My DH LCs with me but can eat a lot more than I can without gaining and without craving. I let him eat what he wants (which is usually not often and not too bad) until he gets too HC, then I talk to him and suggest he watch it.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 11:12

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
87 pounds at 5'2? Am I reading that right? Yikes.

My daughter is 5'2 and her weight stays between 87-92 and she also has a very tiny frame.... I think its hard for medium framed people to understand sometimes that there are some people out there that truly have an extremely tiny frame and can't carry much weight at all....my daughter starts to have a belly at weights above 95 and a little too much in the rear.

It may be unbelievable for some, but there are women like this out there.... my daughter wears a 4 1/2 size shoe and a size 4 ring.... this woman here also says she wears a size 4 ring so I can easily believe that she has weight issues when weighing above 100.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 11:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
I get up at 4:30 to make his breakfast, then make mine after I work out, then my daughter's. I make his lunch while he's in the shower. Then I have to make my daughter's etc.

My $.02 It seems as though you are doing nothing but cooking all day. Is there an easier way to do the meals?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 12:26
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
Thank you too, Urban. Only find the diet hard because we are all carb freaks normally. This is a total lifestyle change and, as it's only been a few days, it's been rough. Maybe there should be a Bread Rehab!

Yeah, I see how that could be rough. I guess at first for me it was tough- my two fav foods are pasta and sandwiches- but I was so happy that I could eat full fat everything- I grew up in a fat-free everything household; fat free milk, fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, and low fat everything else... the no crackers/chips/bread can take some getting used to.

Dr. A says the first 3 days are the hardest! So congrats on getting through the tough part!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 12:35

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I did vodka and water during induction sometimes and it was ok - not saying that its a good thing to do - just that it didnt mess me up.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 13:26

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I think what the poster meant about cooking three meals instead of one is the following. I am the only person in my house who low carbs. I have to cook a seperate meal for myself a lot of the time. The rest of my family has spagetti, I have to make myself a hamburger patty and green beans. I assume that is what she meant.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 22:35
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Hey Beans,

I think you're being really judgemental about my weight. I ate anything I wanted and still wouldn't gain weight. Carried two children and couldn't gain weight. It's obviously what my body wants to be. Now that I'm a little older, I seem to hover around 100 except for the past two years. I'm assuming that's because I have developed some muscle as well. I think I'm done with these boards because I have a serious bunch of negative people who truly hate thin people that don't have to work that hard to be that way. Thanks to those of you who have helped and to AndreaBash and Beans4Me or whatever your name is, get lives and stop hating the thin people...they have weight issues too. I'm totally sympathetic to heavier people although I can't relate. Guess I was raised better. Good luck to the rest of you.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 23:15
I beat you, Tanita!

Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%

Wow. I simply pointed out what many people would have pointed out if they had noticed. You bit my head off. Now you're making a character judgment about my entire personal philosphy?

I didn't make any comments about you as a person. This is a WEIGHT LOSS board -- you can expect to find people talking about, questioning, and making conversation about YOUR WEIGHT. It's not a taboo subject on this WEIGHT LOSS board.

What probably IS a taboo subject would be you attacking me, judging me as a person, and telling me to "get a life". I have no idea how you can jump off the deep end and decide what and whom I "truly hate" based on 2 posts, but I invite you to use the ignore feature so my discussion of weight loss topics won't interfere with your vision for this board.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 02:13

Stats: 201/176/130 Female 151 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

Gee...I thought she wasn't a thin person now?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 07:36
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I'm totally sympathetic to heavier people although I can't relate. Guess I was raised better.

That comment was uncalled for.

If you feel comfortable at 87 pounds than so be it, I apologize for my remark above.

<adds thread to my ignore box>
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 07:40
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%
Thumbs up Good Luck!

I can appreciate your frustration. I started atkins because my boyfriend was already on it...and about three weeks later he got sick of it and i was left for myself. After the first week or so....its not so hard..you'll see the weight coming off....and you wont care wether or not he's following it...the scale and the bagginess of your clothes will be motivation! Maybe you and your daughter should focus..and if he's not serious..trust me..it will creep up on him. Because i've found that "sorta" following induction doesn't work, you have to commit to it or it will cause you to gain weight. Good luck....and hopefully he'll help you out more. The other girl was right also it helps to keep a journal on www.fitday.com.....i use it every day...i have since i started atkins in november and its been a life saver. GOODLUCK!