Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 16:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/166.4/145.8 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Dreamfields pasta-protected carbs

Hi All,

I was wondering if you know what protected carbs are? I bought some dreamfields carb pasta and it did a breakdown of the carbs as being:

Total carbs 62g
Dietary fibre -7g
Protected carbs -47g
Digestible carbs =8g
Dreamfields unique fiber and protein blend protects carbs from digestion as demonstrated in clinical testing.

I would appreciate any input. I've not seen anything in the Atkins book about protected carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 17:04

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

I don't have a clue .....not much help huh But I will be watching this thread till the person with the answer posts it...

I've never tried any of the low carb/Dreamfields pasta, so I'm curious too.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 17:05
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

They explain it pretty well on the Dreamfield's website.
http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/about.html

Quote:
We developed a new recipe for making pasta that would give us the taste and qualities of pasta we love, with only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving. We felt so proud of our pasta that we filed for a patent. Our recipe, combined with the process for making the pasta, results in fewer carbohydrates being digested, plus gives you health advantages much like you get from consuming whole grains. And Dreamfields pasta is made with the finest quality durum wheat semolina, with no soy added, which means that you get the authentic taste and al dente texture you expect from pasta.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 17:13

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I eat the Dreamfields pasta on a fairly regular basis and I have lost 86 pounds since last April....I wouldn't worry about eating it unless you notice a difference in weight loss when ya do....for me it makes this WOE much more do-able, but if I had to do without it I could.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 17:16

Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

I have tried Dreamfields and it hasn't affected my weight loss any, nor has it kicked me out of ketosis.
They say it has something to do with the 'fiber matrix' they use. Whatever the case, I'm GLAD it's an option for us low carbers!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 124/126.5/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: -18%

I eat a lot of dreamfields. Usually every day, and no negative effects so far. I can't wait until they come out with bread/rice products
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 19:33

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

I called the 1-800 number on the back of the box to ask some Qs

(1) If there are only 5 digestible carbs (and 37 indigestible/unavailable carbs) per 3/4 cup serving, does that mean that there are also fewer calories per serving? Answer: yes, there are also fewer calories per serving. I worked it out--something like 55 cals/serving!

(2) Is the carb-availability (the fiber matrix) affected by overcooking (I like my pasta soft) or reheating? Answer: No. You can treat it like any other pasta without affecting the fiber matrix.

(3) Are you going to stop making this if the "LC craze" wanes? Answer: No. Actually, this product was formulated for diabetics...so even if the "LC craze" wanes, we will still have a large market for it.

Good answers!

Since I asked those Qs I have made and eaten the penne and the elbows about a dozen times...each time yummy, no bloating or anything, and never gained weight from it. Fed it to my skinny non-LC boyfriend and he said he wouldn't have known it was any different than regular pasta.

So I say try it, you'll like it! Hope they come out with lasagne noodles, and ditto on the bread/rice products--don't know if they're in the works but this stuff rocks.

Lucy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 20:39
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks Hi-five and all the others..I was very excited to see these questions brought up because I have been very doubtful of the nutritonal info..it was just too good to be that low in carbs..but I see that its okay!! Wonderful!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 22:10

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I suggest you check out the other "dreamfields" treads for more info. I am a Type 1 Diabetic and found that my blood sugar levels skyrocketed overnight -that is, the glucose rise happened at least 2 hours after eating the product. I experimented several times with this product with the same effect. I also experimented with Carbquik around the same time with no blood sugar rises.

I don't trust the carb claims for Dreamfields; I admit there is little immediate blood sugar rise, but I firmly believe the carbs are released over a longer period of time. I was so looking forward to this product.

Keep up the great work!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 06:05

Stats: 223/166.4/145.8 Female 67
BF:
Default Thanks Everyone

I appreciate all the responses. I've been really missing my pasta. I will give it a try and see what happens.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 19:21

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Talking Penne

I am not a big pasta eater but my daughter loves penne. So I bought some dreamfields on sale. It is very expensive compared to regular pasta. However, I couldn't tell the difference between it and regular. So, I will continue to buy it as an occasional side dish.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 06:36
Registered Member

Stats: 158/148/129 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

If anyone is toying with the idea of trying Dreamfields, it is on sale at Netrition for $1.99 a box. I tried it for the first time 2 nights ago, and it tastes great, but will be limiting it in my diet.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 06:54

Stats: 185/158.5/150 Male 5'8"
BF:18.5%
Progress: 76%

I tried Dreamfields Penne Pasta this week. I will be honest, I was careless in my purchase. I bought the pasta, because of the "5 Grams Carbs" on the front of the box. I didn't read the nutrition label. I would NOT have purchased the pasta, if I had. I know many people on this forum have tried Dreamfields and state that it didn't affect their Ketosis. I will say, "eating Dreamfields threw me out of ketosis." I had 4 servings in a 3 day period, and I am no longer in ketosis. Now... I wouldn't normally have that much pasta, but I am one person, and I made a Dreamfields moch-baked rigatoni. Any comments / suggestions? I would love to include dreamfields in my diet. Tastes great, but it did mess up my ketosis.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 07:34

Stats: 185/158.5/150 Male 5'8"
BF:18.5%
Progress: 76%
Default Any?

Is there any low carb pasta that taste decent, aside from Dreamfields?