Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 23:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default Hi everyone

Well, I've been out of it for a few days...once again that fibromyalgia hit real strong. I can almost handle that but, I seem to get it with really severe headaches (yuck). Anyway, I'm glad I'm back on the boards cause I really need some motivation here. So, how is everyone doing???

Gilta...I had a bad day too...glad I'm over that but weigh in still scares me. I think i'm getting it... that, this is more a way of life rather than a periodic stumble. However, I know that those little slip-ups cost us dearly. So, I'm trying to prepare myself (yikes).

Shirlfe...wow! gald to see you're back! Hope that everything is going well. 40 pounds in 4 months...wow! It would be awesome if I could do that...but, wow...I think the most my body will release is maybe 5 pounds per month (and that's if I don't cheat...LOL). But, I wish you the best

Marlaine - I was going to try and write in your journal again but, I went down so fast this week. Just wanted to let you know how much I admire your persistence with the journal. Gosh, I seem to be able to put things in Fitday (well...actually, I couldn't do it that much this week). I just need to get in the habit of keeping that journal. It's a great tool...especially for accountability!

Betsy Hello and welcome to the group! I'm not familiar with the carbo addicts plan (I'm on Atkins). Does eating grains give you cravings for more carbohydrates or does it seem to curb the desire? I'm definite that I'm a carbo addict I'm really glad that the bloating feeling is leaving your body...it's that TOM for me and I feel so bloated

DonnaJ...wow! you've been so good at checking in I miss school too. I was in the middle of my doctorate at Claremont when I got sick...that was such a bummer. But, I'm determined to finish one day. Can you really start menopause at 35???? Wow! I'm 46 and was hoping to still have a child...I know, my dr. thinks I'm crazy. But, I figure there are always miracles...LOL.

Sunshine...hope you're doing well. I need to visit the Bikini Babes thread to make sure you're OK. Your trip is so close...wish I was going somewhere exotic...now, that would be motivation for wearing that bikini.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi, yes I'm a carbo addict and I am able to control the cravings on the two meals of protein only (3-4 oz. portions each) then one meal of balanced foods containing carbos and all the other stuff. I eat a large green salad with raw veggies before eating my other items in the meal. The two protein only meals regulates my insulin and keeps the cravings away. What they call the reward meal where I can eat carbos seems to not notice the carbos so it doesn't trigger cravings as long as I finish that meal in one hour. I started on Sunday at 199.5 and this morning weighed in at 195. It works for me but I'm sure its not for everyone. Thanks for being here everyone.
  #183   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 11:52

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi everyone....

I wanted to say that I've really appreciated the support I've had from all of you in this thread! I am, however, going to have to stop coming here, simply because I'm so busy. I'm just referring to this thread in particular...I will continue to keep up to date with my journal. Please feel free to visit me there. I will peek in from time to time to see how all of you are doing.

Just keep on keeping on ladies! We all know that LC WORKS and each and everyone of us can be a success at it with persistance, patience and all of the amazing support and inspiration we get in the forum!

Marlaine
  #184   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:58
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Good evening ladies

Cher, I am sorry you are feeling bad again. My girlfriend has it and she also suffers allot from it. About menopause, yes you can start it early if you had a hystermony. I had endromedrosis and it was very severe. The next day the hot flashes started. I swear it was worse than the surgery. I use to control my weight between 105-120 and then after the surgery it start to go up. So now I know I better get it under control before I hit 50 next year. I can't believe I will be 50. So my losing this weight and getting my health back in control is my early birthday present to myself.

Besty, that is wonderful that you can eat with adding a reward meal. I am glad you can lose but I have tried that it doesn't work that way with my metabolism. But I am proud of you losing 4 lbs. that is wonderful.

Marlaine, I hate to see you go but I understand with you in school. Spring break is coming up and then finals. I wish you all the luck in school. I know your make all A's. I will stop by your journel to see how you are doing.

Well ladies, a pleasant good evening and God bless.
Donna
  #185   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 11:36

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 205/199/140
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up 190's club sounds good

I too need to lose about 60 pounds and would love to talk to others that are in the same boat. Right now I'm at 198 and want to get to 140. It would really help if I could find others that need the same as i do. Let me know.
  #186   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 22:11

donnaJ...It's strange how surgeries can affect our weight. I had a fibroid removed about 10 years ago and really struggled with my weight after the surgery. I think the body must respond to shock by "holding weight"...cause it really seems to be a stuggle to control after an operation. Sorry to hear about your girlfirend who also has fibromyalgia...I really hope the medical profession gets a handle on this soon. My uncle, who is a Pediatrician, also has fibromyalgia but seems to have his under control at this time (maybe I should see his Dr...LOL).

Betsy...thanks for the explanation of how you're working the "carbo Addicts" program. Congratulations on the 4 pounds...that's awesome

USED2B140... hello and welcome to the bb. I'm not sure what weight I will be most comfortable at right now. But, I want to get down to about 145 - 149. So, I'm here and I'll be here for a while if you need a support system.

Marlaine...I'll drop by your journal...sorry to hear that you're leaving this thread - we enjoyed having you here
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:59
Registered Member

Stats: 195/201/145
BF:
Progress: -12%

Well I am gone a few days and look what happen's! Glad to see everyone back in the swing of things.

I am sorry to see Marlaine go, but I understand.

Welcome USED2B140!

Cher, sorry to hear you are not feeling well again.

DonnaJ, I went through infertility for 3 years and gained 40lbs. Those meds do a number on your body. I got pregnant 3 times with it, but lost them all. I really wanted to lose weight to make myself feel better because it looks like I am not going to have another child.

Well guys, I really need your support here. You see my note to Donna. My way of trying to deal with this whole infertility is to lose weight fast. Well I am not. I have lost only 7 lbs since Jan. 2nd. I have exercised, kept on the Atkins plan and adjusted based on advice. It seems the more calories I eat, the more I gain. I have tried more carbs, less carbs, less cheese, less salt, more water and staying away from artificial sweetners. I am on Atkins, but I just don't think this works for me.

Gilta
  #188   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:48

BF:
Default 190'S SUPPORT QUESTIONS

I have several questions, so here goes:
1. Is Splenda ok to have or is equal better?
2. Ham and cheese omelettes for breakfast?
3. After having cheated, is ketosis possible on the second day back? My keto strip was lite purple this morning.
4. Need a menu I can follow precisely for 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

I love this thread any help would be appreciated.

HUGS
  #189   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:54

BF:
Default Don't feel like I fit in anywhere

Since gaining all this weight from all my pregnancies (had many miscarriages) I feel like I don't fit in anywhere or in anything. I can sympathize with you all that are having fertility problems. I understand. It gets better. We have decided to adopt and Thank God we got our baby in December Now I'm trying to lose all the weight I gained. Funny, but I didn't eat much while pregnant. Maybe its mostly water ( 60 lbs. worth?) Good Luck, all.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #190   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:27

It's amazing how much medications can effect the body. I'm up three pounds...and it's a combination of having 2 - 4oz glasses of dry white wine on Monday (which really didn't work for me...it made me very hungry), my TOM is ending today and taking the medication that caused a lot of this weight gain twice last week. I used to weight everyday so I knew exactly how everything was effecting me, but, now I've just been weighting once a week...so, I have to guess... which leads me to believe that I should go back to weighing everyday. It seems obsessive but I really need to know what causes these reactions.

Gilta... sorry to hear about your frustrations with the infertility treatments - I also have a friend who spent over 25,000 on infertility treatments with no success. I don't have any biological children (I have a stepson) and really want them too...so, I understand what you're going through. I was wondering what type of exercise you're doing...are you doing weight training or any type of exercise that could be causing you to build muscle? I know it's frustrating to hear, but, muscle weights more than fat, so, you could be gaining muscle (which is excellent), losing inches and the scale hasn't caught up yet. So, my next question's are... have you taken your measurement? How are your clothes fitting? Also, have you checked the ketosticks and are you still in Ketosis? It sounds like you're drinking the water and following the plan. Oh, yes, one other question... Do you use a lot of low carb products like the LC meal replacement bars, endulge chocolate bars, blueberry muffin mix?
My reason for asking is that there are hidden carbs in a lot of those products and they can cause huge stalls for a lot of people. Just wondering if you were including them in this WOE?

USED2B140... Splenda or Stevia are the preferred choices...equal is not. Ham and cheese omelettes are fine for Breakfast, lunch or dinner as long as you don't have candida (yeast in the body...if you have candida, cheese will make it difficult to lose weight). With the Ketosticks you can get false negatives (if they are expired or old) but, never false positives. So, if you're registering a lite purple you're back in Ketosis. By the way, you can go in and out of ketosis through out the day....so, you should try to check once a day and at the same time of day (Atkins mentions evening being the better time...but, once in a while people do better in the morning). About the sample menu, have you looked at any of the Atkins sample menus from his book? He has some great selections. Congratulations on your new baby - how wonderful

Hi Sunshine...hope everything is going well...are you out of town?
  #191   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:07

BF:
Wink Thanx

Thanx, Cher for all the help. I was beginning to think no one would answer me. I pretty much had a good day today until dinner time. I had to cook the prerequisite rice and beans and had 1/2 cup of each This woe is tougher than I thought. Tomorrow will be better since I will be out all day and will not have much time to eat, however my trusty water bottle will be with me at all times.
  #192   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 22:04

Default I'm checking in again :)

Used2B140...sorry dinner was a little tough...it's funny how 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of beans used to be fine for me (I was mostly vegan at that time). Now, I'm afraid to try the rice...in fact, I haven't tried beans either...that would be really difficult for me too. But, like you said tomorrow is a new day and it will get better. I had a "less than perfect" time on Monday...but, I'm over the shock of it now...LOL. So, hang in there...we will do this and we'll be so excited by the time Christmas is here. Think of all the new outfits we'll be able to wear

Question regarding rice and beans...you mentioned it being a prerequisite...which low-carb program are you following? I'm following the Atkins plan.
  #193   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:02
Registered Member

BF:

Cher - I am only doing nortic track 15 minutes 3x/week, so I don't think that is causing the gain. I have not lost inches in over 2 wks either. I am simply at a stall.

What is the recommended salt intake? I know FDA says 2400mg, but what about Atkins? I am at 2800 and Marlaine said that may be causing it.

I also heard that Splenda was much better than Equal.

Chat w/ you later.
Gilta
  #194   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:

Forgot to add that I don't use the LC bars really, maybe 1 per every other week.

Gilta
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:44

Default Hi again :wave:

Gilta... you may be simply going through that post induction stall that some people experience...it usually lasts about 3 weeks and then you start losing again. The salt intake can also be a factor...I have to add salt so that I don't blackout (I know, that's wierd) but my maximum salt intake is normally 2400.
Also I was wondering if you keep a journal with the foods that you eat during the day. I'll check the journals under Gilta...if you keep it under a different title...let me know. Sometimes little things can cause a stall (one of my stalls was caused from using canned whipped cream...so now I make my own whipped cream with splenda). Just some thoughts that you can ponder...but, remember this...I went through an 8 - 10 week stall...well I shouldn't really call it a stall cause I lost inches during that time. I'm still down 45 pounds, and, if I had given up... I'd probably be up 65 pounds...LOL.
So, hang in there and we'll figure this out