Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%
Default Fat Fast Update and Questions

Hi all, I have been doing Atkins for almost a year now and have not lost more than 1-2 lbs and have not gone down any clothing sizes or lost inches. I had a rocky start for the first few months but remained pretty faithful after that. I have tried just about everything: fat up, fat down, more cals, less cals, exercise 5 days a week, different suppliments etc. I had tried the fat fast before but cheated by drinking one night and then didn't go back to a strict induction after it was over. THis time I have gone from 147 to 137.5 as of today and I have two days before I am done with the modified fat fast so I have done it for a total of 9 days now. The first seven lbs was definitely water, I had been retaining water like crazy for some reason. So really I have only lost about 2.5 lbs.

My question is for those of you that did the fat fast did you keep your cals pretty low for a couple weeks and gradually increase them after you added veggies back? I would imagine the metabolism is pretty slow right now and I don't want to jump back into having 1500 cals a day. Also, did anyone workout on the fat fast or modified fat fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 09:29

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I've done the fat fast twice, once I lost a bunch and didn't gain a lb back (went back into induction but w/ lower cals). The other time I went back to Induction w/ higher cals and gained 2 of the lbs back (of 7). IMHO, I'd slowly increase cals so your body doesn't start holding onto water again.

At the time I did the fat fast I didn't work out too much, so can't help ya w/ that one. I never had much energy during the fat fast, so I couldn't even fathom working out - I could hardly sit at my desk (not fun).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 10:32

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I am currently on day 4 of the fat fast and have lost 3 1/2 lbs so far. I am planning on doing it for 5 days and then staying with the modified ff for a week before going back to strict Induction. I think very gradually adding things back in will be the key to keeping the weight Ive lost from coming back. I have plenty of energy and have not been hungry. I am also not exercising. I would really like to but I have not been able to find the time. Good luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 10:39

Good luck to you too monster! Are you going to try to keep your fat high after you end the modified fat fast or are you going to lower it. I'm debating on what I want to do. I'm thinking for the first week I'll eat how I did during the modified fat fast only I'm going to add veggies back.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:22

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

You've posted Here that you tried the fat fast and it didn't work for you... What makes you think it will work now?

You are well within the range of normal weight for a woman of your height. No matter what you do those last couple pounds aren't going to come off easily.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:32

BF:

I am going to keep my fats high, I think. I was thinking when I go move from mff to induction I will add back in a small salad at lunch at first and then add back the dinner veggies. Good luck to you too!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:41

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowonder
You are well within the range of normal weight for a woman of your height.
--nw

I agree. I fully believe that our bodies have a "set weight" that they think is just right and once that weight is reached the body won't let you go much lower. Perhaps your goal weight is just under your body's optimum weight? 137 lbs. (your current weight) is barely higher than 130 lbs. (your goal weight). I wouldn't obsess too much over the last couple lbs. I would focus on maintanence.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:55

It isn't a matter of losing the last few lbs. THe doctor said I should be around 120 and that is nearly 20 lbs to lose. You have no idea what my build is. I have been doing Atkins for a year and have not lost a thing! I would say that I am probably metabolically resistant. I didn't even lose during induction which is a good sign that someone is metabolically resistant. I spent many years with an eating disorder and my metabolism is shot. I know that it didn't work for me before, but if you had read all of my posts you would see that I cheated, so of course it isn't going to work!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 13:04

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Nevah mind...wrong person in mind...lol.

L
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 08:29

BF:

After 4 days on the ff, I have lost 5 lbs. I am doing one more day and then onto mff. I have been very strict so I think that is why I am seeing good results. Donnie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 09:07

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Just out of curiosity, what is a fat fast?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 09:45

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I have been doing Atkins for almost a year now and have not lost more than 1-2 lbs and have not gone down any clothing sizes or lost inches.

Pandora23: I don't get it--if you have been on Atkins for a year and have seen virtually no weight loss or size changes, why are you still trying to do it? Why don't you try a different diet?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 16:35

Shoer, I have tried just about every diet in the book and although I lost weight I had to eat a very small amount of food to do so. With Atkins I am at least full. For example, doing lowfat I could not go over 800 cals a day and I had to run at least 5 miles 6 days a week to see the scale budge. Not to mention I suffer from several severe chronic conditions which I have had several surgeries for, since I started LCing my pain has minimized and two of the conditions have gone into remission. Even if I were to gain weight doing Atkins it would be worth it to me. I used to not even be able to hold down a job or carry out other daily routines, now I can. Even doing the fat fast right now I get to eat more than that and stay pretty full. Hopefully when I start adding veggies back tomorrow I will still continue the weightloss.