Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/190/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Greetings from a newbie on day 1 of Induction

Hi I found this forum today and already I have found it to be so encouraging. My name is Jean and this is not my first try at this WOL. I attempted induction twice before about a year ago but I was not ready for a change. I was only worried about a quick weight loss and needless to say I failed. After more reading I understand that this is about so much more than just losing weight. It's a healthy lifestyle. A lifestyle that I am ready for. It has been so long since I have felt well. I just want to be healthy and I know that the weight loss will come as a result. I must admit just the drinking large quantities of water today has made me feel so much better. I can't remember the last time I drank a glass of water. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:35

Stats: 322/315/210
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile I'm a newbie too

Hi Jean,

Welcome!

I just found this site last week. I was on the verge of a nevous breakdown since I've been gaining weight and there was no end in site.

After I found this site, I read some of the sucess stories. I finally felt there was hope for me since these people have experienced everything that I have.

I started my induction on Monday and weighed myself the next day (I know you're not supposed to do that, but I couldn't help it). I've lost 3lbs in just the first day. Now that is motivating!!!

Good luck in the future!!

-Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 20:12

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Jean and Shannonlee.

Welcome. Isn't it a great feeling to be finally ready to lose the weight. It's definitely something you have to be ready for. I only wish I had been ready after I gained the first 5lbs...lol. After I read you thread, I thought back to when I found this site. I really don't think I could have done it w/ out it and you'll find so many women that agree. Good Luck and I can't wait to hear about your progress.
Erin
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/218/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Welcome Jean and Hi Ladies!
Isn't this the most rich and vast website for LC lifestyle? I still haven't seen it all! Everyone is so helpful, positive and motivating here.

I am not new to LC, but, like you, I wasn't ready to commit to the lifestyle finally, once and for all, until this year. I'm feeling so much better again on LC, physically and emotionally. This is it for me! I can't tell you how much difference the LC WOE is for me.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 23:10

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Talking Welcome

Hi there,

Just wanted to wish you a quick welcome. You will be pleasantly surprised at the support available here. The people in these forums are the best resource for support, encouragement and knowledge. They are a blessing!

Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 08:39

Stats: 155/149/118 Female 5 ft 3ish
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Hi! I'm new too.

Hello,

Today is day three of Induction and Day 1 on the boards. I used to do Atkins several years ago...I know it works- I was a size 1 at my lowest weight and a size 9 now. It feels sooo good to be back in Ketosis.

Well, I went off and on it over the last 2 years while dating and marrying my husband and have been totally off it for a year. Well, I found myself 20lbs heavier and after a very frustrating stint at Weight Watchers..I'm Back!

I have been having a hard time adjusting, last month I moved from sunny South Florida to the cold winter Pocono Mountains. And for the first time in my life ...I'm home all day and not working (nibble nibble), but I always feel better on Atkins.

Well, thats my story. I am very happy to be here on the forum.

DameMeow
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 18:19

Default Did I hear Poconos?

I'm from Phila...I have friends that rent houses in the Poconos - we'd go skiing...

Welcome to the forum.

Erin
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:09

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

Congrats and welcome to you newbies that are going for it again. Glad to hear people are heading back for their second course (or better).

I wish you a short journey to goal, and a long, long, long maintenance phase.

I am personally on my first shot at Atkins, and weight loss in general. I am a little concerned that I haven't yet run into anyone that stuck with it the first time.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 19:02

Stats: 155/149/118 Female 5 ft 3ish
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Hi again,

Here I am again on day 6. I love the way ketosis feels, but the scale isn't showing much difference (nothing warranting changing my profile). I'm not weighing myself again till Monday morning.

I think being inside during the winter months has a bad affect on my appetite. And my old job was very physical (restraining animals, lifting cages etc.)

Erin, yes I am in the Pocono's...unfortunately due to my fear of not-so-much-heights-but-falling, and my husband's weak girly-man ankles, we aren't big on winter sports. Now water skiing back in Florida...

Now I'm off to watch a movie and eat pork rinds in front of the fire.

How's everyone else doing?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:36

BF:
Angry grrrrrrrrr...

I am sooooooooooo frustrated. I have just started the LC - Adkins Induction. I started loging in my foods on www.fitday.com and this has been an enormous help. I found that I was going over the 20 carbs per day. I didn't realize that lettuce and other vegies have so many carbs. This was putting me over the 20.

As of Saturday I've started cutting down to the 3 cups of veggies per day and I thought that would have a great impact on the amount of weight I loose.

Yeah, it's had an impact alright... I've gained a pound. How is that possible.

I have been doing a little research and found a thread on Depo Provera. Apparently this could be having an effect on my weight loss. My last shot was November 1, 2001. It's been just over 100 days. If it takes another 100 days before it's out of my system and before I see any weight loss results, I'll go nuts.

I wish there was something I could do to get that stuff out of my system sooner. I was so motivated and now I feel deflated. ( I wish I would deflate...lol)

Anyway, that was my whinning for the day. I'll keep on truck'n, but I need to see results soon or I'm going to end up giving up.

-Shannon
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 13:40

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

don't worry, shannon.

The pound you gained was a stress reaction, your body figures you tried to kill it the first time (initial restriction of carbs), and now your back. Stick with it a few more days. That pound is gonna fall out tomorrow, and will have made 2 friends to share the journey.

Also, keep up on fats consumption to keep the body fueled. That keeps the body from overreacting to the loss of carbs.

drink a bit extra water in transition.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 13:50

BF:
Default thanks!

Thanks for responding to my post.

I was so frustrated this morning.

Last year I did the Adkins diet, I lost 30lbs in about 2 months and I was feeling great. In July I got the Depo Provera shot and started gaining weight by the time I got the second shot.

I know the results that I can have since I've done the program before, but I am scared that the Depo Provera is hindering my results.

When I started the program a year ago, I followed the Induction part of the program as well as I knew how. I didn't know then what I've learned recently about hidden carbs. I'm surprised that I lost anything then.

I'm being much more strict, but with less results.

I've started drinking more water and taking supplements. I haven't started exercising yet, but will tonight. I spent several hundred dollars on a brand new treadmill, it's about time I use it.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!!

-Shannon
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 17:14

Default So my friends mom is a OBGYN and...

My friend knew that being on Depo has caused people to definitely gain weight, however I'm not sure if that correlates exactly with hindering weight loss (like water were the reasons for weight gain, etc), so she's going to contact her mom and get back to me with some scientific info.

I'm also curious about the results b/c I was thinking about going on the Depo shot.

Erin
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:47

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Talking To LCer in NW

I cannot tell you how happy you made me in your post there. It wasn't addressed to me, but all the same...

After my first 2 weeks on the LC WOE I had lost 7 pounds, then gained back 3 and just recently dropped one of those 3. I don't weigh again until Friday, but that concept of stress weight gain works for me! I am keeping my fingers crossed that you are right!!!

Thanks for the pick-me-up, even if I'm not the "me" it was intended for!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:33

BF:
Default thanks!!

Erin-

Thanks for doing the research for me.

The reason I think it may be the Depo is because of another thread I read. It talked about Depo affecting glucose levels.

Well I've decided to stick to it anyway. Atleast I'm not gaining anymore...lol

-Shannon