Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-04, 03:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/138/135 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default fat is neutral but it makes me feel sick...

i want to low carb, eating low sugar, and thats not a problem, but i keep getting this urge to not eat very much fat. sometimes, like a salad, i love to have the dressing, but basically, i don't like oils, and meat so much, and just in general, i want to eat lean meat and vegetables and things that usually have a lot more protein that fat.
i am around my goal weight, but i am afraid that if i change my diet and stop eating as much fat, then i wil start to gain weight as the protein breaks down in my body. i feel so gross after eating it, but i want to have my body stay as it is or at least build more muscle in my arms. can this be accomplished if i sometimes don't eat a lot of protein everyday, and don/t feel like having anything more than like, low carb yogurt and strawberries or a large salad that is plain with only a little meat, instead of a large amount..

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Dec-30-04 at 06:52. Reason: removing junk link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-04, 08:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi AteKna!

If you are close to your goal weight, now is the time to start moving towards maintainence. You might want to refer back to your book on how to do that, but generally it means slowly increasing your carb intake while decreasing your fat intake so your caloric intake doesn't go up dramatically.
This doesn't mean that you go low fat, only lower than what you've been eating while losing weight. Your body does need some fat to remain healthy (between 30 and 50% of daily calories). If full fat salad dressings bother you, try making a salad dressing from vinegar and olive oil or flax seed oil. Your body also needs a certain amount of protein to maintain itself as well, so don't cut your protein intake dramatically. Leaner choices such as chicken and fish are fine as you move towards maintainence.
As you gradually increase your carb intake from sources such as low GI fruits, nuts, and some whole grains you will find that your weight loss slows and then stops (usually between 40 and 60 grams of carb per day unless you are very active). This is the level you need to stay at to maintain losses. If you notice that your weight is creeping up again after you reach maintainence, cut back by 5-10 grams in your daily allowance (again, refer back to your book on this, it's much more detailed than what I've posted here).
Pay attention to your body's signals. If you notice that the old cravings and increased hunger are returning, it may mean that you need to cut back on the carbs a bit or pay closer attention to where those carbs are coming from.
It might also help to pay a visit to the maintainence forum for some tips on maintaining as well.
Congrats on your loss!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 23:42

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

On most days I will have a whey protein powder shake made with Hood's milk and a spoonful or two of flaxseed meal to supplement my protein needs. If I use it as a meal replacement then I will add fruit and/or yogurt, depending on my carb allowance. I have them in four flavors and never tire of them like I sometimes do meat.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 16:40

Plan: Atkins and coffee.
Stats: 299/220/170 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 61%

AteKna....question...where'd you get your pic in your posts? Is that a particular artist?? I collect pin ups...just curious. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 19:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/138/135 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 73%

uh, my picture? i don't know. i liked it so i saved it.
thanks, although, i still don't know completely the answer to my question. i am trying to find a workable balance, to lower my body fat, increase muscle ratio in my upper body and not gain weight. i also want energy. i had a trainer once who told me that i would always be changing my diet. i wonder how true that is.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 07:56

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I think that what your trainer said is definitely true.

and I understand about the fat thing. It not only makes me feel sometimes that I am swimming in it and a little nauseaus, but I also have trouble digesting it a lot.

The thing about the fat is this, if you are going to up your carbs and calories, fat is not as important. you have to eat a certain amount to get your gall bladder to work properly, but in lieu of calories, fat will do. That is why so many people had problems when that went on the old nutrisystem plan. It was so low calorie and so low fat that they ended up with stones in their gall bladder because it wasn't functioning properly.

The bottom line is calories in and calories out. Especially once you up your carbs. You can't go back to eating the same way. What I found for myself that worked for maintenance the first time (until I got stupid) was that I would eat all my carbs for breakfast and lunch and not eat any carbs after lunch. I worked out in the mornings and I feel at this age, my metabolism slows down so much in the latter part of the day that I don't really need carbs for anything. I also finally learned that the calorie charts are very wrong for women over the age of 35 or so. Even with exercising every day, I still can't eat more than 1500 or so if I didn't want to gain weight.

Good luck