Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 12:21

Plan: Glycemic Revolution
Stats: 245/240/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Maltitol Sweetener

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know where I can buy a sweetener for cooking which contains maltitol.

If not, I see that Sucralose is available, but is that comparable to maltitol in carbs and taste (maltitol has 90% of the sweet taste of sucrose).

Thanks,

Tracey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 12:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Tracy, welcome aboard!

I found this site that sells maltitol. I think they sell it wholesale or to industrial clients. Not sure if anyone sels them retail:

http://www.spipolyols.com/maltitol.htm

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 19:43

Plan: Glycemic Revolution
Stats: 245/240/140
BF:
Progress:

Thanks. I think I saw that site. While searching the net, I found a site that mentioned that there are several companies that are trying to get FDA approval for a maltitol product at the retail level, so I'm not sure there is any now.

Tracey

P.S. This is a very good site. I rarely get a chance to review all the studies on the various diets and you had a bunch of them that I could access with one click. I really appreciate your efforts.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 19:47
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey
Thanks. I think I saw that site. While searching the net, I found a site that mentioned that there are several companies that are trying to get FDA approval for a maltitol product at the retail level, so I'm not sure there is any now.

Ah, that could be the reason why we can't find it

Have you tried stevia?

Quote:
P.S. This is a very good site. I rarely get a chance to review all the studies on the various diets and you had a bunch of them that I could access with one click. I really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks Tracy, glad you liked it! Stayed tuned for more things in the works

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default maltitol, sucralose

Tracey, a couple of points:

Maltitol is (legally and technically) a form of carbohydrate; it's a "nutritive sweetener" meaning it has calories. It's reportable as carbs (FDA) and is digested as such, just more slowly and further down in the digestive tract than sucrose (which is why the calories and glycemic index are somewhat lower). NOTE: larger quantities (presumably more than 1 'serving') can do do cause gastrointestinal distress (i.e., diarrhea) for many people. If you still want to use it as a sugar replacement, search for isomalt; I think I've seen an isomalt or malt syrup in Asian groceries.

Sucralose is the chemical name for the Splenda brand non-nutritive sweetener (negligible or no calories). No carbs except for those found in the carrier/filler (such as in spoon-for-spoon or packets) which is usually a maltodextrin or dextrose base.

I find the Sucralose/Splenda to be about 90-95% as sweet as sucrose or table sugar. I find the isomalt about the same in sweetness.

Hope this helps you out.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 17:54
Forum Founder

Default Becareful with Maltitol

Found the Ross bars locally and I tried two different flavours. Both were great, Mint, and Almond. Haven't eaten chocolate for a looong time since I lost my sweet tooth. I thought of this as an LC product testing

Well the taste was great, the side effects weren't!

These bars can be used to curb your cravings for chocolate, and as a laxative as well, all-in-one!

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 19:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yah, I ate about 1/3 of a Ross bar some time ago. It didn't have 'laxative' effects - I probably didn't eat enough - but it made my tummy hurt. I'm not anxious to repeat the experience.

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 08:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh Wa'il, I'm sorry you had a bad experience... .. I'm the same way ... I find I have to read the label very carefully, and whatever it says is ONE serving, I have to cut in half in order to avoid any unpleasantness. Oh well, makes the chocolate bar last longer ..

On a serious note though, I think it's important that people know the potential side effects of these sugar alcohols. You're a big, tall guy ... imagine the discomfort that might be experienced by a small child, after eating some of these treats.

If folks want to know more about Sugar Alcohols such as Maltitol, Isomalt, Sorbitol and the like, click here to read the article from our Tips webpage. There are links to more information, including a petition from CSPI consumer group to the Minister of Health, urging WARNING labels for foods containing sugar alcohols (especially sorbitol) and the effects in children.

Currently, both US and Cdn FDA's have classified the most commonly used sugar alcohols as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe). But they are under scrutiny, and labelling changes may be on the way.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 10:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I actually know of a child that was recently prescribed Sorbitol as a laxative! They had tried all kind of things to relieve her of constipation.