Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 14:32

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default High fasting blood sugar in a.m. due to what body process?

Hi - I'm trying to understand the mechanisms behind different morning glucose results. I know that 'high' fasting blood sugar is considered bad, but am curious about what's actually happening when it's high... and I'm asking mainly from a metabolism/weight loss perspective...

Is a somewhat high (similar to postprandial) blood glucose level in the morning due often to the body converting proteins to sugars .. that is, burning some dietary or muscle protein? But NOT body fat?

What I'm wondering is about whether blood sugar goes up when the body burns actual fat - or not. (My default suspicion is the latter.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Unhappy

IMHO, it's the liver dump from converting protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis) or releasing stored glucose in form of glycogen rather than burning fat in the early morning hours. The higher Bgs are due to either low insulin (insulin deficiency) or inability to utilize normal or even high insulin levels. Liver does it's job pretty well of keeping us from too low BGs while we asleep and in general, during the day as well. Low or inefficinet insulin equal higher glucogen. Diabetics have problems with FBG for above reasons. As for getting higher Bgs from burning body fat, it's actually the other way around, high BGs mean the body cells are starvng and muscle protein is burned to satisfy some of the immediate needs. Some fat will be burned as well, but a great deal of muslces is usually burned first.It's much easier for the body to burn muscle than fat. Fat is body emmergency supply.
I'm not sure that normally our body burnes dietary protein for energy, it's either carbs or fat. Protein is used for repair muslces and other body tissues. I guess when body burns fat it's mostly due to a negative calorie balance or ketosis. Getting higher BGs while burning fat is more ketoacidosis and should be avoided at all cost.
I can add some more mud, may be this will make it clear. The best answer is in Ketogenic diet book by L.McDonald. You can also find some of his articles here
http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms...ount=0&blogid=1
D.

Last edited by dina1957 : Sun, Nov-28-04 at 15:09.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 16:20

Thanks - that's interesting and definitely helpful. I think I'm getting higher fasting glucose levels after taking melatonin the night before. I have in my notes that melatonin can raise blood sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 16:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

cbcb,

What you're experiencing is called the "Dawn Phenomenon" and it's common to nearly everyone, but more pronounced in diabetics. Here are some links on the subject that you may find helpful:

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/f...section-13.html
http://www.shermanhealth.com/healthtalk/dawn.html

HTH
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 16:49

Plan: The Diet Cure
Stats: 225/212/150 Female 65 inches
BF:Too much!
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
cbcb,

What you're experiencing is called the "Dawn Phenomenon" and it's common to nearly everyone, but more pronounced in diabetics. Here are some links on the subject ...
Lisa, thanks for putting those links in here. I was just talking about this in my journal and was looking for answers.
... Beev
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 11:58

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

What you have is fasting hyperglycemia - i have it too.

It is caused by insulin resistance. Your body is not using insulin right so your body just keeps pumping it even when you are asleep.

Bottom line on this is that it should be below 100. If its 100-110 you are considered insulin resistant. If it is 111-125 you are considered pre-diabetic, if it is over 125 you are diabetic.

Mine has never gone above 110 and I can control it somewhat by what I eat the night before, but mainly just by taking care of myself in general by exercsing and maintaining my low carb life style. I have not checked it for about two months. Eating low carb keeps it under 100 and I haven't worried about it since.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 00:43

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:

I personally dropped Melatonin after reading the following article...plus my endo's advice. Good Luck to you!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...2&dopt=Abstract
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 08:46

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 280/225/180 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress:

1. Any suggestions on how to counteract this situation?
2. Any info regarding taking specific complex carbohydrates at bedtime to slow down the process?

Thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51
2. Any info regarding taking specific complex carbohydrates at bedtime to slow down the process?

Thanks.

Well, being cautious about taking melatonin at night MIGHT help. (I take it, am experimenting w/a glucose meter shortly to see what if anything it's actually doing.)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 15:12

BF:

Quote:

Thanks.

Area51, this link might help answer a few of those questions: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm
Your strategy for dealing with higher fasting readings depends on why they are high. In some cases (Somogyi effect) fasting blood sugars are high because of a nighttime low that the body is overcompensating for with gluconeogenesis. In some cases, fasting blood sugars are high because of the effects of several different things; higher levels of certain hormones during the night (Cortisol, Adrenaline, HGH, and others) that tend to increase gluconeogenesis and insulin resistance paired with the liver clearing insulin out of the bloodstream during the early morning hours (Dawn Phenomenon).
From what I've read, the only way to know which you have is to do some blood sugar testing in the wee hours of the morning (between 3 and 5 AM) and see what readings you get. If it's low, then Somogyi effect is likely in play, if readings are higher or not low, then Dawn Phenomenon is probably the cause.
In either case, don't skip breakfast hoping that will bring down the higher readings. Eating breakfast turns off the gluconeogenesis going on and will actually help you get your blood sugars back to normal more quickly.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 00:33
upback

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
From what I've read, the only way to know which you have is to do some blood sugar testing in the wee hours of the morning (between 3 and 5 AM) and see what readings you get. If it's low, then Somogyi effect is likely in play, if readings are higher or not low, then Dawn Phenomenon is probably the cause.

I didn't think of that Lisa, I am going to test in the early hours and see what the readings are, gosh, have checked at all other hours throughout the day, why not the night too!

Someday, we will all figure this out. (I hope).

Any suggestions for "sore fingers" from all the poking?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 15:09

BF:

Quote:
Any suggestions for "sore fingers" from all the poking?

Only a few. Rotate the test sites (right hand one day, left hand the next, for example), try to test on the sides of the finger (not on the pad), and don't use alcohol wipes (causes callouses and makes it sting more).
Washing (and rinsing well) and drying your hands before testing should be enough to prevent any infections. Using warm water when you wash should also help with the circulation so you get a good sample on your first stick.
Another thought would be to look for a meeter that allows testing from sites other than your fingers (like your forearms or thighs).
I use a keyboard all day, so I understand what a pain (literally) those sore fingers can be.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 16:22

BF:

Quote:
have checked at all other hours throughout the day, why not the night too!

I don't know about you, but now that I'm past the "2 AM bottle feedings" stage with my girls, I'd rather perform dental surgery on myself without anesthesia than get out of bed at 3 AM for any reason other than fire, flood or tornado!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 17:22
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by upback
I didn't think of that Lisa, I am going to test in the early hours and see what the readings are, gosh, have checked at all other hours throughout the day, why not the night too!
Upback:
Are you on insulin/oral meds. If the answer is no, save yourself from getting up at 3am , Somogyi effect is mostly seen in type 1. It's very untypical for type 2 on no meds to get hypo episode at night.
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2098.htm
Cheers,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Sat, Dec-04-04 at 00:34.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:

Thanks.
Area51:
Check out this link and see if it's suitable for you .
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-13861.html
I try to eat some low fat plain yougurt, may be bran cracker with some cheese or turkey slice. Try some high fibre bread like Ezekil or low carb tortilla with some natural PB. FBG can be very unpredictable even witht the same diet/snack.
Good luck,
Dina

Last edited by dina1957 : Sat, Dec-04-04 at 00:34.