Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Check this out

Could one of you very intelligent, wonderful people from this forum please visit this site and poke holes in their "opinion". I need ressurance
http://www.nutrition.cornell.edu/nu...9/toolocho.html
Thank you.-Nolly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Sorry, no one can answer now. Our brains have slowed down and we are all too lethargic. Whew... I need a nap.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:29

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Nolly

I checked out the nutrition site at Cornell University and was not surprised at their comments, which are WRONG. The best source for correct information and rebuttle to their propaganda is Dr. Atkins' web site and his newly updated book, New Diet Revolution, which you can find on this site. His book has a list of studies in the back as references. This new book is a must read even if you have read his other books. It has the same title but is not the same book because of revisions and updated information.

Atkins' Nutritionals: Home Page

My web page has a lot of interesting links and outlines my very successful experience on the Atkins' diet since June 1999. I lost 40 lbs. to normal, corrected my high blood pressure to normal and corrected my high risk cholesterol ratios. My bad triglycerides plunged 57% and my good HDL skyrocketed 57%. However, Cornell would call this unhealthy.... hahahahha

Ultimate Nutritional Program for Healing and Health

Basically, the low-carbohydrate diet cuts all of the food manufacturers out of your life, and they don't like that. They have a lot of power and representation in government, health organizations. Its another case of "follow the money." Fresh veggies and fresh meats don't take a multi-tillion food industry to prepare the products, just farmers, ranchers and the people who bring the food to market. Next we have the religions that are against eating meat who distort the truth about nutrition. Red meat and natural fats not only maintain health but also provide healing to the body. They have given me AWESOME health.

Enjoy,

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Wed, Feb-13-02 at 14:38.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 345/316/220 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi Nolly,

I doubt anyone can explain the science/science fiction so you or anyone else out there are doubtless about the effects of a low carb diet. If someone does explain it, there are thousands of traditional nutritionist's that will explain other theory's that debunk those.

The conclusion I came to a while back is that nobody really understands how this stuff works. And they probably won't understand it for another 50-100 years from now. Everything out there about how to eat, what to eat, how to cook it, blah, blah, blah are all theories.

And over the past 80+ years, an industry has been created telling you what/how/when to eat. They have a vested interest in making sure that you don't change your mind about what/how/when to eat. Otherwise Hershey's Chocolate Syrup being fat free isn't really going to sell product anymore.

Until someone proves beyond a reasonable doubt what/how/when to eat, you are going to have to figure it out yourself.

The way I look at it is this:
1. Lo carb way of eating definitely works. Look at the people on these forums and see the progress. Keep in mind that none of these are endorced by some sponsor when they talk about how they are doing. When you look at the amount lost, you can definitely see that it's not water weight.

2. People not attached to the "cause" are explaining that illness such as diabetes, etc.. is better than it was before. When people get check ups, the doctor say they are healthy.

3. Currently there are more obese people in the U.S. than ever known. Much of that is in the last 20-30 years. Even though the doctors, govt., etal are saying that low fat is the way to go. How can that be? If they've been preaching that, and it works then why are we as a nation fatter than we've ever been? I personally don't think that it's far fetched to think maybe our bodies need a little more bacon and a lot less Capt. Crunch.

So who knows.. What do I have to lose? Most of this stuff all boils down to FUD. People spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Death.

One last thing I wanted to point out is that most of these discussions of this sort are taken to extremes. The question posed there was no carbs. The WOE I've seen regarding low carb doesn't condone no carbs. It condones low carbs in the beginning, with a gradual increase of carbs over time. With a lower daily intake of carbs recommended by the govt.

Good luck in your search.

Mike
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Simple.

The author is a nutritionist expressing his / her personal opinions.

If they really know what they're talking about, as a university they can afford to run some clinical tests to prove what they said. But they didn't. You know why?

Clinical tests show the opposite. Just glance in our research section and you'll see a couple of refrences to clinical studies on low-carbing benefits.

Do you know how easy it is to get certified as a nutritionist? And do you think they are qualified enough to offer a better solution than a cardiologist like Atkins and others?

Science and research favours the low-carb way.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Smile Thank You All!

I think I understand why "reputable" universities, doctors,nutritionists say LCing is bad. However, what's REALLY bad is their reasons for trying to scare people like me. MONEY!!!
If scientists are doing research on eating habits/diet/food/fat/carb ect...isn't it wise to be completely impartial? It's unfortunate that they are not. Thank you all for giving my misled high carb brain the nudge it needed back into LOW CARB!!!

-Nolly