Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 18:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair question

Did any one ever notice a change in their hair texture. I have been lc about 4 week and just around this week i notice a change in my hair texture. Do you think this could be coming from lc eating.. Not ready for a hair cut and It is not summer. Iam confused and if it is lc does any one know what i could do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/159/130 Female 5ft 3inches
BF:??/24%/???%
Progress: 60%

hi i'm a hairdresser, and i suggest nioxin products. since i started losing weight i have also been losing hair. this line is designed for thinning hair and i find that it works awesome!!
good luck
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 20:57

Stats: 168/168/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

thank you, I will look for this line though my hair is not thinning it feels dry. Maybe it is thinning and feels dry?????????
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 10:30
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

Hairdresser here too!!! (love the nioxin also!!!!)
Actually your hair should be getting healthier and growing. Your hair will do awful things if your carbs are to low...Have you tried upping the carbs just a bit or have you tried suppliments??
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 16:01

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey!
i've had hair loss for about a year and a half now--first due to dieting, then to anti-malaria medications, then to malnutrition (likely), and now to stress and dieting (again) yup, my hair has suffered--luckily it was crazy thick before all this happened. I've been using nioxin shampoo/conditioner, but would you 2 hair dressers have any other recommendations? I've seen some of their other products, but weren't sure if they worked or if i should try them! Any thoughts, much appreciated! =)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 16:46

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have noticed that my hair is a lot drier. I have just changed conditioners to a good quality one for dry hair and that has helped. No problem with hair loss.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 22:23
coffee...yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustycat
I've seen some of their other products, but weren't sure if they worked or if i should try them! Any thoughts, much appreciated! =)

Just remember...what works for some...does not work for all!!!

Quote:
Nioxin has identified the top six reasons why your hair may be thinning.

The problem of thinning hair may be caused by a genetic predisposition that comes from a family history of thinning hair. Health problems such as Hyperthyroid or Hypothyroid conditions; medications such as chemotherapy, any hormone replacement medications including birth control pills are culprits often overlooked. Thinning hair can also be attributed to stress and trauma that can cause constriction of blood supply and poor vitamin assimilation to the scalp and hair. Or, simply from poor nutrition and diet that can include a high consumption of animal fat, high protein and fad diets. Even external environmental toxins and pollutants, such as chlorine, metals, minerals and water pollution cannot be ignored. All these factors can be causing the increased number of hairs in your brush. Nioxin offers a complete, natural hair care system that addresses the appearance of thinning hair.

I love the Cytonutrient Actives treatment!!! It is not cheap but I have seen it work.............
Quote:
Reduces the visible appearance of aging of the scalp through exfoliation of dead skin cells.

Enhances essential vitamin nutrient assimilation on the scalp for fuller, thicker, healthier-looking hair.

Foam treatment strengthens and nourishes fragile new hair.

Niposomes deliver powerful chaperone molecules and superior vitamin nourishment to the scalp and hair to create fuller, thicker, healthier looking hair.

Unique Transactive Delivery System (TDS) provides essential nutrients and improve hair's quality, density and keratin structure.

Chemical Inhibiting Factor (CIF) safeguards against the future build-up of environmental toxins on the scalp.

Contains Eco-Correctives; a patent-pending complex that contains naturally occurring essential oils, which aid in the removal of environmental toxins, excess hormones and pseudo-estrogens (environmental pollutants) from the hair and scalp.

This is just my own opinion
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 22:34

BF:

hmm, thanks! I'm gonna see a dermatologist in a couple of weeks actually, so maybe i might get some help there too Didn't know a high protein, high fat diet (aka, atkins, some SB) can lead to hair loss???? I always thought that my former low-protein, vegetarian diet was an issue for hair, esp since its made of keratin, right?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 22:43
coffee...yum!

Quote:
Didn't know a high protein, high fat diet (aka, atkins, some SB) can lead to hair loss????
Its actually just a sign that your carbs are too low for the way your own body is wired. (Just what I was taught..I don't know about anyone else) I always...always lose hair when I do induction (which I have done over and over and over Dang it anyways!)
But once I up my carbs a bit...it tends to stop. But yeah...If its that bad...I would certainly see a Doc!!! Cuz...I am not a Doc...I don't play one on T.V. nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 23:47

BF:

haha, might be fun to be a doc on TV though.....lots of money, fame, hot co-stars.....

That's very interesting that an amount of carbs is needed for hair growth, but i guess that makes sense if the body stops hair growth when it feels threatened or facing "starvation"

Thanks so much again though!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 169/156/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

WEIRD THING. I was just hinking yesterday that my hair was growing faster, maybee due to the extra fat?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:46
Registered Member

Stats: 280/204/160 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

my hair is as dry, brittle, thick, curly, nappy, stiff as usual.
otherwise, i do notice some loss of hair when i wash it,
THANK GOD!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/251.8/150 Female 5'8"
BF:50+/46.5/30
Progress: 25%

I've used the Nioxin Scalp Therapy for the last few years (mostly for dandruff) - but I still have a large hairball in the tub everytime I shower. Maybe I'll try the shampoos also.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 22:17

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Personally, I think that a lot of hair loss during rapid weight loss (on a healthy LC diet) is hormonal rather than nutritional. Excess hormones are stored in fat, and released as that fat is burned. As was mentioned about the hormone replacement therapies, this probably qualifies. Fat and protein are great for hair! Hormones, not always. Raising carbs as bellybuton suggests will probably help not due to the carbs themselves, but due to the slow in weight loss, and thus fewer extra hormones in the system. Make sense to anyone else?

My guess is that Atkins, SB, et al. are off the hook and it's that flood of extra hormones causing a lot of the trouble.

JMO, of course. There may be other reasons that dieting causes hair loss, but I think this is a biggie.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 22:29
coffee...yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
Personally, I think that a lot of hair loss during rapid weight loss (on a healthy LC diet) is hormonal rather than nutritional. Excess hormones are stored in fat, and released as that fat is burned. As was mentioned about the hormone replacement therapies, this probably qualifies. Fat and protein are great for hair! Hormones, not always. Raising carbs as bellybuton suggests will probably help not due to the carbs themselves, but due to the slow in weight loss, and thus fewer extra hormones in the system. Make sense to anyone else?

My guess is that Atkins, SB, et al. are off the hook and it's that flood of extra hormones causing a lot of the trouble.

JMO, of course. There may be other reasons that dieting causes hair loss, but I think this is a biggie.

Sounds good to me Alopex!!!! All that blah blah blah I wrote earlier is true...but it is also from way back in the 80's when I went to beauty school. ( I guess I just got a good memory) But you are right...Hormones play a big part in the whole hair thingy. ( I guess my memory is not good as I remembered!!!! )