Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255.5/244.7/148
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Crystal Light/DietRite/Adkins

Hi
I'm new to this site but not to the program. About 3 yrs. ago I lost 44#'s on Adkins. It Took 3 yrs to gain it back. There are some positives to this however in that on other diets I would have gained that and more in less than 3 months. Anyway to my question. Crystal Light..how many carbs? Under nutrition facts it lists 0 carbs and 0 sugar. On this site when checking the carb counter it states that Crystal light has 7.something carbs. Is this because of the stuff they use to sweeten it? Citric acid, maltodoxtrin, acesulfame potassim(sweetner) and aspartane.
Also how about Diet Rite Tangerine? I find that these fruit flavors fullfill my craving for fruit. Or could it be my need for carbs? (Say it ain't so!) If I use either of these on induction will I be defeating my purpose?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:30

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

According to the good doctors new book that came out in December of last year, there are to be NO aspartame products in your diet. Crystal light has aspartame.

You are to limit artifical sweeteners to 3 a day max.

So in answer to your question, forgo the artifical stuff for after induction. The purpose of induction is to detox your system and stop the cravings. Take it a day at a time....it is only for 2 weeks. Who knows after that those artifical drinks may taste sickeningly too sweet and you won't want them.

Nothing replaces water. If you drank 8 12 oz cans of soda a day you would still need to drink 64 ozs of water.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 15:23
Registered Member

BF:

Thankx agonycat...not what I wanted to hear but you are right. I am having a hard time giving up the diet pepsi too. Well progress not perfection..I will drink my water keep on keeping on
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/175/165
BF:
Progress: 82%

I was a massive diet pepsi drinker before changing my wol 1 month ago. I was probably more worried about giving up my diet pepsi's that anything, However, when I learned about the diet rite I figured well I'll give it a try. My goodness I wish I had found it long ago!! I swear it tastes like good ole fashioned coke before they did all that new coke stuff in the 80's. I only drink about 3-4/ week always after satisfying my water intake first but oh what a treat.

Hossdoc
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:21

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up

Hi
So Diet Rite has the correct sweetner?

Dee
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:54
Registered Member

Stats: 220/175/165
BF:
Progress: 82%

Sorry I guess I left that part out. Diet Rite is sweetened with splenda and is caffine free.

Hossdoc
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:11

BF:

I am allergic to alot of artificial sweetners. I haven't had a Diet Rite in years and years.

I haven't had anything to drink except water in two weeks. I might get some for a treat and see if I have problems

Thanks

Dee
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

Can you even find Diet Rite nowadays? if so...Where?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 10:59

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

you can find diet right at any grocery store..... We have it here.... i have only had a few swollows of it ... tasted goooood.... my kids ended up drinking it instead of me.... which in a way was great they love it... so what they dont know want hurt them right..
Tammy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 11:13
Registered Member

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I guess I havent noticed it before because i wasnt looking...but I will keep my eyes open on my next trip to the grocery store.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 16:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default Responses to Diet Rite

Thanks to everyone who responde to the DR thing. I didn't know it was sweetened w/Splenda. I will check it out tho. We have plently of it here in OH. It comes in several flavors besides cola. I haven't read the ingredientsrecently...it ivery tart..wonder if there is citric acid for tartness. I love this site..I have been learning so much. I am REALLY STRUGGLING W/INDUCTION..your support and info helps me hang in.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/159/132
BF:
Progress: 21%

So does SPlenda count as an artificial sweetner that are limited to 3? I use it in my coffee, which I am trying to lower the amount, but when I eat my big portion of sugar free jello at night, I'm sure there is aspartame in it, and probably more than I'm supposed to have.

Just wondered about Splenda, I don't think the book says either way on that one, but I could be wrong.

I'm in induction too & still wanting my sweets, when I thought of going on Atkins, I watched what I ate, and realized it was probalby 90% carbs. So, yep, I miss them!

Thanks !
Kathy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:37

BF:
Default Carb Lover

I too am a carb lover. Isn't chocolate a cure for anything?

I was determined to get off the carbs, and I can say that I am feeling great.

I miss the fruits more than I miss the carb. I am going to lenthen induction by 2 weeks, then try to add a few fruits back in.

Dee
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 20:03

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello about the jello i have found that jollyranchers suger free jello is made with the sucralose ( splenda) . it is in the section where the milk is or so in the grocery store.. it is jolly rancher suger free cups.... i finaly bought me some today... i think i may try one abotu 2 times a week.... i just finished my induction up but i am going to stay on another 2-4 weeks... then phase up.
This has been the easiest diet i have found to stick with...
tammy
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 20:11

BF:
Default ose

I thought that any sweetner with an ose ending was not in the diet.

I loaned my book out so I can't look it up.

Dee