Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/132/110
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default overeating...

I overate today. It was all pure protein and fat; therefore, I am still in ketosis. Will this effect my waight loss (I am in my 4th day of the diet and so far I have been losing 1 lb per day) ? How does it work?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 20:51

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Welcome Kamy

Hi Kamy, and welcome.

No, eating protein and fat in any quantity will not cause weight gain, and I am of the personal opinion that it is impossible to overeat if you are only eating protein and fat.

Ideally, by weight, the ratio of protein to fat should be 3:1, as this is not only the most palatable ratio, but also the one which is most efficient at removing body fat.

Different people have different views about the exact quantities of any food type or overall combination you should eat, but as a general rule of thumb, the number of calories consumed should be 10-12 times your current body weight in pounds. And the proportion of those calories contributed by fat should be roughly 70%. This is because fat is very much higher in calories than protein. (And it will result from eating the 3:1 ratio by weight).

I have gained weight while eating only 1600 calories a day, and lost weight consuming 4,000 calories a day, or more. Studies have been done allowing people to eat as much as their appetite demands, provided it is only protein and fat. Some of the participants ate very lustily indeed, but no-one gained weight. They all lost it.

Hope you feel reassured.

Andy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 02:28

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default No such thing as "overeating"

Hi, Kamy!

Andy's right, in fact he's dead on (he should be; read his journal sometime if you want to learn *tons* of infinitely helpful information about this WOL!). There really is no way to overeat when you're following the LC way of eating. Atkins says as much when he explains it as not being a quantitative diet; you are no longer restricted to a set number of ounces of anything, or a set number of calories. Not *restricted,* I say on purpose--because with this WOL, you might lose *more* weight if you eat *more* calories!

I just found out this past week that I was actually *undereating* and had been for months. What a shocker! I've taken steps to correct that; I confess, I'm almost fearful to step on the scales next week (I've gone to weighing every two weeks--I was losing about a half-pound a week the last couple of months, which could well be due to my *undereating*!) because of *years* of training and brainwashing about "fat is bad" and "you can't possibly lose if you eat that much."

I am certain, however, in my heart of hearts that I will have progressed farther down my road to goal. Fears aside, I have learned so much about how I *should* eat since beginning this WOL, I'll tell anyone who evinces the faintest shred of interest!

So anyway, now that I've prattled on.... Don't worry about "overeating," keep to the induction plan as stated, and you *will* succeed! The only way to fail is not to do it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It depends on what you mean by overeating. If you kept on eating because you were hungry - and this is common during the first stages of LC'ing - then you're fine. If you stuffed yourself to the point of discomfort? Getting to that point is not a good idea, no matter which way you're eating.

In general, if you have an eating disorder or are a compulsive overeater, LC will work to help you lose weight, but you will still have an eating disorder.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 15:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi Kamy ...

You've got some good advice from the others

I'd just like to mention .. when you wish to reply to someone's message, just click on the green "post reply" button at the top and bottom of the thread of messages Using the "report this post to a moderator" will send an email to the moderator or Administrator, but it won't post your message here.

Click on the ?faq (frequently asked questions) icon, near the top right of every page. You'll find more tips and info. on how to use our forum, and post messages.

Happy Low-carbing

Doreen