Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Sugar Substitute

Hi all, I have been trying the Atkins plan since January. I really have not lost any weight, but I have given up chocolate (two weeks today)...to help with the sugar cravings, I have been eating the Low Carb Cheese Cake (substituting Splenda for the sugar), I was eating LOTS of the Cheese cake (I now do not have the intense sugar cravings), but could the excess in Creme Cheese be the factor to keep me from losing any weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:21
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Why would eating something that looks and tastes (and pours) like sugar, help you stop craving the real thing?

If you are doing induction, avoid any sweetners for two weeks to allow you to become accustomed to your new tastes in food. Any taste of any sweetness will act just as if you had eated sugar to your insulin. AS do create a rise in insulin, sometimes just a little, and creating even blood sugar levels is the idea for the first two weeks of Atkins.

After your two weeks, you may try to experiment with Artificial Sweetners, and see how they effect you. If they cause you to crave more, then they are probably not for you except on a limited basis.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:22
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Also, no more than 4 oz. of cheese in a day. Dairy can stall also.

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 135/135/105
BF:
Question

Hi..I've been on this diet for about 4 days now but I use some artificial sweeteners in my cooking, light jell-o and an occasional diet pop...would that affect my weight loss? I found it extremely hard to elminate all sugars from my diet at once...

hoping for some good advice and reassurance.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 22:54

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default Yep, they sure can...

That's why on induction, they're not allowed.

I was religious about avoiding AS when I was on induction. I followed the plan to the very letter. After I decided to go on to OWL, though, I got a little nuts. If you check my journal you'll find the portion where I was grousing about bouncing around with the same 5lbs for a long time. The strongest suggestion (and the most frequent) was to cut the AS. I did, and it helped. Since then I've added it back in slowly, and I'm doing fine now. YMMV, of course--and as I said, on induction it's a no-no, regardless.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:52

Stats: 172/130/130
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been on induction a week and a half, and have used Splenda in my coffee every day. It hasn't made me crave anything, it just makes the coffee taste decent. And I've still lost seven pounds so far.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:59

I hear ya, I don't care for black coffee at all. But just think about this for a little bit: What if you *had* cut out the AS completely? That 7lbs could have been more. No one will know for *sure*, but it could have been....

Just a little decaf for thought.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:04

Stats: 172/130/130
BF:
Progress: 100%

Could be true, but I also know that I would be a VERY grumpy, cranky, headachy woman to be around right now without my coffee, so I'll go slowly with the weight loss and stay halfway human!!! LOL
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:11

Default Too too true

Oh, dear. I am reminded of the immortal words of Spock:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few--or the one.

Better to be halfway human, I agree!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 240/232/185
BF:
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up Very True

I have had splenda every day 2 packet`s in 2 cup`s of coffee everyday, I crave sweet`s at nite. Late Nite.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 01:13
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 135/135/105
BF:
Question

Just another question about sugar substitute...is splenda better than TwinSugar?? I hear that TwinSugar has less carbs but it seems like most people hear use splenda...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 07:08

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:

Yes splenda is better than sugar twin if you look on page 128 of dr atkins diet revolution book it will explain... Splenda is made from real sugar... I am on day 15 of my induction... I decided to stay on it a while longer. I have added 2 cups of decaf coffee to my weekly schedule... I will promise this if you cut back on the sweetners and eat right in a couple of weeks add the subsitutes back to your meals you will never use a whole pack in a cup of coffee again... I only use about 1/4 -1/2 pk in a cup of cofee now.. And when I eat brochlie the other night it was sweet tasting... never knew how sweet food actualy was until i went without sugar for over a week.
hope it helps some
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 16:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/400/250
BF:

i bought splenda and wasnt at all thrilled with it, after i use it up, im going to buy sweet and low. It takes too much slenda to make things sweet, plain and simple. I only use it to sweeten tea and coffee, not for cooking