Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/233/180 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Current word on coconut oil??!

Hi,
I've read some threads on here about coconut oil and is wondering, after some time has passed, if everyone still loves it! I just purchased some online but have not received it yet, and am wondering what people still think about it.
Although my TSH levels just came back as very good (3.42)- I feel like coconut oil would nourish my thyroid as well. I hope I wouldn't be overdoing it? Is that possible? Or maybe if I take the oil, I can eventually get off the medicine? (taking the generic of Synthroid) I love coconut and would love to have more of that in my Atkins food...lol.
Appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 11:24

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Well, I'm new to the whole thyroid thing, but I have read that people feel best when their TSH is between 1 and 2; therefore, I wouldn't think that taking coconut oil would hurt. The new recommmended guidelines from the American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists indicate that a normal TSH is from .3 to 3.04.

I too would love to know how some of these folks are now doing on coconut oil. Did ya'll continue on it? Does it continue to help? Did it ever help? I have a big jar of it that I am dying to start taking, but am holding off til after I see my endo in hope of getting some med--I don't want to reduce my chances! I have a TSH of 4.2 and am feeling horrible!

Thanks for starting this thread, because I have been meaning to start one asking the very same question!!

Tig
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, really?My doc had the average up to 5.5! What is your reference for that info? I mean did you read it somewhere or your doc tell you?
I cannot believe my TSH was up to 10.7 at one time! No WONDER I was so friggin exhausted all the time. I'm still stifling anger for a doctor who listened to my symptoms, and I had to practically beg for a thyroid test. Then, for some reason, the test read normal. That was at least 6 years ago! Then, because I was so certain something was wrong, I had my current doctor give me another test, which then read so very high. I just can't believe for like years I was running around with such a serious problem. Anyway---so I guess 3.42 is a grand improvement but going down more wont' hurt either, great!
Thanks,
Amy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 11:37
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I still use mine. Almost time to order some more too.
It's a natural metabolism booster which is why I take it. I have no thyroid problems or anything like that.

Here is where I get mine now:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

It has all sorts of great info on it too. So read up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 11:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change13vt
Hi,
Although my TSH levels just came back as very good (3.42)-
Amy
Amy, as tigger pointed out 3.42 is not good - it's high. Not only did AACE recommend the range be lowered it also suggested that anyone with a TSH over 2.0 with symptoms would merit a trial of hormone replacement. You're medicated and your TSH isn't even below that cut off! 95% of the population who are healthy have a TSH below 1.0, and this is usually where women have to be to lose any weight.

You can get the reference ranges off the AACE website - in their January 2003 and 2004 press releases.

However, most distrubing is the fact that your doctor is using TSH to decide if you're doing well. He/she should be tracking your Free T levels, the actual thyroid hormones. TSH becomes meaningless when you start taking the meds. It goes down because you are taking thyroid meds - how far it goes means nothing if your FTs don't come up. The FTs are what determine if you feel good or bad, TSH means nothing (it's not even a thyroid hormone).

I'd push that doctor to check my FT4 and FT3 and make sure my results put me in the upper 3rd of the range - that is where most women feel best. If he/she wont do the right tests fire his/her a$$ and get a doctor who will help you!

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:09
Registered Member

BF:

Actually Natrushka, my doc HAD initially checked those other levels and they were ok. But they probably need to be checked again. This information has worried me now, so I just called and requested a test for all those levels. So glad I posted here! Thanks for the update!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 06:46

BF:

You're welcome, Amy. It's good that your doctor is willing to listen to you. Testing of your Fts should be done anytime you're not feeling 'right' and need to adjust your dose. Your high TSH indicates that you probably do need an increase, getting your FTs tested will confirm this.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 09:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Nat, I thought I read that the generics can be somewhat inconsistent too. Is that correct?

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Nat, I thought I read that the generics can be somewhat inconsistent too. Is that correct?
Not so much inconsistent - even the brand names have been guilty of being inconsistent - but different from each other. It's the binders and fillers that most people have problems with and they are going to be different among the drugs. You could do fine with one generic but have a reaction to another. If you do find that a generic works for you ask the pharmacists to make note which it is and get that one every time; often pharmacies will get whichever generic is cheapest or most readily available, so you're not guaranteed the same one each time you refill your script.

HypoT tend to be very sensitive and have more allergic reactions than the general population which is why this is so important and can be such a PITA.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 01:09

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

I try and use it everyday. It's disgusting, but it works. I started losing weight regurally every week when I was taking like 5-6 tbsp a day. Plus I like the health benefits it supposedly comes with.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 08:36

Plan: low GI diet
Stats: 161/158/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have a question for those who use coconut oil. Is it a liquid oil like vegetable oil or is it a solid at roomtemp like crisco?

Just wondering if it's a solid how do you take 3 Tbsp daily?
That doesn't sound appetizing at all!

deb
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 09:02

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

it is a solid at up to around 70-75 degrees F
it's great for frying, eggs, omellets, chicken, fish etc. i also nuke it for a minute or so and add it to the blender when making whey protein shakes, sometimes add it to homemade soups, it would be good if you do any low carb baking.
it can be used in all kinds of cooking, i don't take it straight

jes
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 10:05

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

I used to just mix it in with tea, but I found it to be a waste because most of it sticks to the bottom of the cup. I'd go to wash dishes later and the coconut would get solid and be all over the sides and bottom of the cup. Cost me like $35 for a pint of it. I don't like wasting it.

So now I keep the jar on top of my computer or monitor where its always hot and the oil stays melted. (only works with glass.. the plastic ones it'll melt right through) And take it straight.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/195/135 Female 66
BF:45%/42%/?
Progress: 17%

I'll apologize ahead of time for my silly question. Does coconut oil taste like coconuts? I absolutely despise the taste of coconuts, but the oil sounds benefical.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 08:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan34
I'll apologize ahead of time for my silly question. Does coconut oil taste like coconuts? I absolutely despise the taste of coconuts, but the oil sounds benefical.

From what I recall (it's been two years since I used the stuff) it doesn't taste anything like coconuts... it's like butter in consistency but it's almost sweet tasting (at least it was to me!)

It's great for baking.