Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/110
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question why nitrate-free?

Hi, I've just started LC and using Atkins. At this same time, I've been reading Atkins' new book religiously back and forth to make sure I'm doing everything right. Things are going well for me but there's a question which was not explained at all in the book and it's the nitrate-free bacon/sausage aspect. Why no nitrate? how will it affect the diet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:14

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, it states it right in the book - nitrates are known carcinogens.

The fun part is finding foods that are not prepared with any of the bad things - it is very difficult. I frequently have to settle for those packages that at least relegate them all to the "less than 2%" list.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:08

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I havent found any bacon yet made without any nitrates in it but I have found that you can buy ground pork and add your own spices to it for nitrate free sausage. Dont buy the sausage packs of seasoning but your own spices in the cabinet. Hope this helps some.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/110
BF:
Progress: 17%

yes, I do know that it's a carcinogen. May be I didn't ask the question clear enough. I have come across some articles saying that whether nitrate is cancer causing is still not 100% sure because it's true in animals but not yet in human beings, so I kinda see it as the same case as aspartame.

And since Atkins also mentioned that aspartame might trigger insulin level, other than it's unsure safety, I was wondering is there some other reason that I shouldn't have normal bacon/sausage because I'm on this diet? Wondering if it interferes with the biochemistry that's happening in my body?
And if nitrate is a carcinogen is the only reason that we should avoid it, in other words, everyone should too right?

Just wanna make my question clear. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:18

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll agree with you there. What's horrible today is benign tomorrow and vice versa. We'll probably hear that using Splenda causes three headed offspring sometime next year.

Even if it is a carcinogen in humans (I don't know the status of that question but would think the FDA would ban it pretty quickly if it is proven) is it hazardous in the quantities that people consume.

You can argue better safe than sorry, so why not avoid it. But to make an informed decision on that you have to understand why it is used in the first place (and I don't). If its presence prevents other bad things, then the cure might be worse than the poison.

You can also argue that since nitrate containing products probably make up a larger fraction of an LC diet than a high carb diet that we have another reason to be more concerned.

By the time you look for products that contain NONE of the following:

Aspartame
Sugar
Fructose
Dextrose
Corn syrup
Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil
Nitrates
Citric acid

You are pretty well screwed.

The best that I can do is look for foods that list those well down inside the "contains less than 2%" list.