Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 20:07

Plan: modified
Stats: 166/164/145 Female 5'9"
BF:flabby/to/firm
Progress: 10%

Stay motivate people! We can do this

Good luck on recovering PilotGal!

I'm about to pop in my dvd and do some pilates. I want to feel sore!! I think what I'm going to do is pause the tape after each move, and do a few more reps. Maybe increase this stuff to like 30 minutes. After that I'll do some time on my treadmill. I hope this works!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/-/150 Female 5 Feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Join me in, actually today is the second day I tried doing Winsor Pilates, and I am on my 8th day of the induction diet. I can really feel the muscles in my legs and abs burning. Please join me in. I want to lose weight and tone my body by Christmas!!! Count me in!!!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:34

Welcome Jaliah!! Good luck on keeping up the pilates!

Alright people, I just finished the 20 minute pilates workout, plus a couple of extra moves. I said I was going to do the treadmill, and I did, I just had no stamina. I did 2 one minute interals at 6.8mph, and that's it. I just had no motivation to run. I'm really starting to love mat work and everything else seems blah. Since I stopped weight training, my arms are getting flabbier. Are they any exercises with pilates that work arms?
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 00:55

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile I was wondering the same thing!

Hey, KiwiGal! This is a really good question! Did you find anything in that book about the arms?

Day two and I am sore! I am so excited about this challenge!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 01:12

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ive just finished my 20 minute pilates AND a 50 minute "shaping up with weights for dummies".so at the moment, my arms are really feeling it!! Plus when i went down 3 steps to the garden...my knees almost went!! so i must've worked them today!
I just assumed that the arms would get a workout with pilates...those women on the dvds look fine!!...are there no arm exercises on the dummies pilates missScruff?
I'll check in the library book...but if someone else who is experienced at pilates can help out here...nows the time to speak up!

P.S...my rolling is improving!!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 01:18

BF:

Hee hee!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 06:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Did my Yoga this morning but saving the Pilates for when my daughter gets home from school. She wants to do it with me .. I know her, she just wants to watch me roll into somthing again .. Lil drill sargent wants to make sure I don't cheat,HAH.. So evening Pilates it is.

Angel
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 08:40

Plan: Carb Cycling Anita Style
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 66
BF:BMI 28%
Progress: 25%

I did 30 mintues of a 45 minutes tape yesterday and I'm really feelin' it today. I managed to get in the last 15 mintues but I just couldn't make myself do another 15 right then. My arms are like jello and my upper legs are crying here. Those Pilates squats are killers. I have always had fairly muscular legs due to ice skating when I was younger and perhaps partly due to my german genes as well.

My tape doesn't have any rolling so I think I will buy the Widsor Pilates tapes and then I can switch them up for a change. I want to too!

I also did 30 situps and I am going to do another 15 of the Pilates around 3pm when I start to get alittle tired. I'm hoping it will give me a boost of energy to get through the rest of the night.

This was a great idea!

Satus: Day 2 and *feelin' the burn*
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 08:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

2/2. Did the beginner workout again last night which makes me 2 for 2 days since I joined the challenge - yeah! I took measurements also yesterday and hope to join all you in losing inches.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/249/175 Female 5'7
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 43%

Count me in. I only have the Pilates for Dummies DVD. I did it for a couple days and it felt good. I felt retarded. My daughter would ask me everyday, "Are you gonna do your exercise tonight"? Seems I was her "entertainment". She couldn't stop laughing at me! Anyway, I'll start with that one for about 2 weeks, then "upgrad" to the Windsor DVD.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 10:39
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionaN
If you put your fingers onto your lower belly, just inside the hollow of your hipbones, you should be able to feel your TA muscle tighten as you do this.

LOL! Who has hollows?! (OK, maybe some day soon.)

This thread is very timely. Early this week I received two DVDs: Pilates Workout for Dummies and Classical Pilates Technique - The Complete Mat Workout Series (Modified Basic / Basic / Intermediate / Advanced / Super Advanced). I also ordered the book, Pilates: Body in Motion so I could be really sure of the moves.

I have watched both DVDs twice and read through the book once. While I am skeptical that Pilates will significantly change my body (I'm used to doing that through lifting heavy weights), I am ready to give it a committed try.

FWIW, the Pilates Method Alliance (the true Classical method as taught by Joseph Pilates and then his successor Romana Kryzanowska) recommends working out only 2-3 times a week for an hour each time.

If I get really committed to this and like it as much as I think I will, I promise to buy myself the Raised Platform Mat for my birthday in March!

I'm in for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 10:50

LOL, so many funny things to read today about rolling and people watching you roll!

So do any of you think that it's actually possible to lose weight on Pilates? or does it have to be incorporated with some type of other exercise? I have only 15 lbs left to lose, so I'm kinda just wondering here. what do the rest of you think?

Have a great day everyone! I'm off to work now
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 12:55

BF:
Smile October 20, 2004 at 1:55 PM

I sure hope we will lose weight doing this! The pilates dvd I have is geared to weight loss! It is called Pilates for Dummies: Weight Loss Workout and I sure hope it is true to it's name! I noticed Kiwigal is doing other exercises so she would probably be the best one to answer! I need to get in there and do my pilates for today! I am really dragging...must be the lack of sunlight we have right now! Sounds like everyone is doing great! Someone said something about recording our measurements and I have been trying to think of a way to do that withough recording every body part! How about we measure our chest, under the chest, waist, hips, both thighs and both biceps? Add them all together and start from there? Then when inches are lost we would subtract the total lost from the starting point! For instance, I measured before I began Induction and then about 5 weeks later and had lost a total of 24 inches all over. What do you all think? I would love to avoid the scales because they won't be an accurate indicator of change in our bodies! The scales haven't moved a bit for me yet I kept losing inches (not after I hit 21 pounds off that is)!

I would love to get the Winsor Pilates as soon as I get back to work! Until then I will use the Dummies version! They really explain things though and I love that! I have Pilates Conditioning for Weight Loss, which I bought a few years ago at Wal-Mart, but to be hones...it was hard to follow! I feel it focused on people that already had a good idea of how to do pilates and she was confusing! Maybe after I do the Dummies version I will be able to handle her! I am keeping an eye out at Goodwill for Winsor! Hey, you never know! Anyhow, I'd better get in there and exercise!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Talking

hey everyone! today I was determined to do something good for my body. upper chest is still sore from those extreme twists I was doing.. LOL.

now i understand what they mean by harmony. i got down on the floor and started slowly. my body and my brain worked together and I stretched and pulled and gave myself a real nice workout. felt really good. this is going to be a most enjoyable challenge.

I feel so good afterwards.

really glad we started this thread.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 13:28

Great idea about the measuring MissScruff! I think I'm gonna have to pick up the Pilates For Dummies too. I saw it at Wal Mart so it'll be good to throw a little variety in there From what I saw on the cover, it seems like there are a bunch of standing moves. I'm assuming that that can definitely make you sore the next day!

Thanks for keeping me motivated everyone