Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I ordered it today, but I noticed in a review somewhere that it's not a very large amount of the product. I think in my mind I thought it would be like a box of Bisquik.

I'll post after I try making a recipe with it...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 21:22

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955
argo2d,
I didn't misunderstand.
I guess I just didn't write my message well.
I was replying to you and to Moonwalker at the same time and I wanted to let Moonwalker know that I sent that other post in over a month ago and that things have changed.
I've read the post that Tom wrote. I was referring to that when I said there is no trans fats now.
Susie

oops my bad

all in good faith!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 08:03

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%
Default Carbquik Bake Mix

Carbquik Bake Mix...Does anyone have an opinion from your experience in using this product? Also, where is the best place to purchase it?

Thx
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 20:36

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsbride
Carbquik Bake Mix...Does anyone have an opinion from your experience in using this product? Also, where is the best place to purchase it?

Thx

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...threadid=255923

Here is a HUGE thread with people obsessed with it. You ahve all the opinions you want there!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 20:22

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I have continued to use the product with great success. I made a pie crust (for meat pie) that I could actually work with (unlike the soy bake mixes). I also used it for a fish batter (too bad I don't like the taste of beer, because there is an excellent recipe at the manufacturers website) which turned out great. I also used it as a coating for veal - and my fussy high carb family loved it too.

Oh, I also used it as a thickener for stew and made dumplings for the stew - they turned out great too. Whew, tired of cooking and baking!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 124/126.5/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: -18%

I love carbquik. So far I've made the copycat red lobster biscuits, cheeseburger impossible pie (bisquick recipe), and I am hoping to make pancakes soon. What I'd really like is if the company would sell a flour, without the added leaveners, salt, and fat, so I could use it in any recipe calling for flour-without having to adjust the salt/fat/leavenings. But it's still a great product and it seems less expensive than some of the yucky soy bake mixes
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 07:18

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Can you point us to the manufacturer's website so we can check out some of the recipes there? I'm still trying to find this locally so I won't have to pay shipping...
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 08:44

www.carbalose.com

I also use Bisquick recipes and improvise - www.bisquick.com
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 18:05

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Is anyone noticing a stall from this kind of food? I have been eating the atkins chips, (too much), need to stop, I know, but...anywho, found real cheap bisquit mix, cake mix (chocolate, and carrot), and cookies. MMMMM!!!

So, again, any stalls detected from this kind of addition to this WOE?

Thank ahead of time!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 18:19

I find the Carbquik true to their carb count - afterall, the product is very high fibre and we all know that fibre does NOT get digested into the system. I can see people overdoing it on the snack foods, as I have myself. I am a firm believer that to succeed one should follow the noncommerical Atkins approach - read the book and keep away from commercial products ESPECIALLY snack foods. There are several commerical food products that work well in the LC WOL - tortilla wraps, cereals (and the bake mix to assist in dinner meals).

I also believe that one should eat more carbs as vegetables and not the commercial foods. That being said, I would rather pig out on LC chips, icecream or chocolate rather than the sugary type, but these products should be weekly treats and not the everyday fare.

Hope this helps - my own observations.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 04:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 223/197/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:

I've tried various bake mixes - soy flour, vital gluten, Atkins bake mix, almond flour, with different results.

Is the carb count on this product similar to the other products? I know some use oat flour, but the carb count there seems to high for me.

Thanks, nosox
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 11:40

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

CarbQuik is an excellent product. I ordered it last week from Netrition.com.

It is the best tasting LC bake mix around it can be directly compared to Bisquik in taste with very little carbs.

I have used it in sausage cheese balls instead of the regular bisquik. they were great. no weird aftertaste - the texture is correct.

i also made the LC Poundcake with Carbquik which had only 1 carb per piece of cake (used almost the entire box of carbquik). it was excellent it tasted like it was made from regular flour. had to watch the cooking time though it cooked faster in my oven than it was supposed to. the recipe called for it to bake for 55-60 minutes at 45 minutes it was not only done but i should have taken it out a little earlier.

i didnt tell my husband and he couldnt believe it was very very low carb and completely sugar free.

i cant decide if i want to make brownies or cheese biscuits next.

i swear i am going to buy stock in this company - this product is excellent excellent excellent.

i had tried the other lc bake mixes and they really really suck - they were not even close to tasting like the real thing.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 12:26

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Just ordered this today and can't wait until it gets here. My husband is grudgingly going along with my LC-ing, but there are things he really misses that I might be able to make for him with this product. I'll let you know how it goes....
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

I made the waffles and the pancakes and my husband who doesn't LC LOVED THEM and ate a bunch. I always add extra water since the recipes seem thick to me, but I won't ever be without this stuff. The pancake recipe has too much butter for me so I'll cut that down next time. I made their pizza recipe and it was good too. It tasted like toppings on biscuits and not really pizza dough, but who cares. I will use my own toppings next time, but also plan to make the pizza dough recipe to use for LC 'Hot Pockets' for me to take to work.

I would love the coffee cake recipe if anyone wants to share (hint, hint)

I bought mine at netrition and didn't find the shipping to be out of line. It also got to my FPO address really quickly.

How about sharing some other recipes that people have tried? Are you using it in recipes as a direct substitution for flour?

Thanks,
Lynn
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 18:45

Happy to hear your delight with the product. Since it has baking powder, it should NOT be treated like flour - i.e. don't add yeast, because it doesn't appear to work.

The website www.carbalose.com has all the wonderful recipes - like the coffee cake. Hopefully they will add more. The former Atkins chef - Greg Prior loves the product and is the official chef to the company.

ps - I am a Type 1 Diabetic and this product has zero affect on my blood sugar so I believe their LC claims.