Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 164/146/125
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy Must bite the bullet and ask this embarassing question

Good lord, this is embarassing. But hopefully there are others that have this same question. Okay, trying to put embarassment aside................
What exactly does it mean to be constipated? Do I need to be concerned with not having "to go" in 4-5 days. I don't feel like I have to. Is constipation just when you feel the need to go but you can't? Need I be concerned that I don't go more frequently?
Sure do wish I could've changed my username on this one.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

In low-carb tips at the top of the page is an article on constipation that is full of tips. What you're experiencing is not uncommon and should be sorted out in a while.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Be sure you drink alot of water to move your system.

Every morning when I get up.. I get a BIG glass of water.. put in a cut of lemon... and then sit .. and drink it... relaxing.. it a great body flush.. and get's your system going..

If your constipation does go on much longer.. that would not be good.. because everything is sitting in your colon... rotting... so don't be surprised if you have a bout of diarreah...

My Naturopath told me.. we should have 3 bowel movments a day.. one for every meal we eat... food in... waste out...

Ramona
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 11:49

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Don't be embarrased...

I guess there are different views about what constipation actually means. I used to think that if I didn't go absolutely every day, I was constipated!

Some health care views are that 2-3 bowel movements a day are what we should aim for.

Others still believe that 2-3 times a week is completely normal. Those folks generally say that it's not how often, but how difficult it is that matters. If it is hard as rock and is difficult to move.

Try some sugar-free Metamucil. If you have a WalMart near you, they have a copy-cat product, also sugar free, but much cheaper!! (Good ole' Wal Mart!) Metamucil has psyllium husks in it, and what that does is form a gel in your intestine, and will make everything just kind of (forgive me ) slide out. Psyllium is non-addictive and can be used every day. Laxative over-use will cause your bowels to get lazy, then you will have to take a laxative, or two, or three, just to have a normal bowel movement. No fun!!

And the absolutely best advice is drink a lot more water!! A LOT more!! It can't hurt and would most likely fix everything.

Hang in there!

Dizzy D
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tactful and informative responses. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and can't get the ground flaxseed. I'd love to just cure it with the sugar-free metamucil. I'm sure it's much more tolerable than the sugar-free Konsyl. However, I'm hesitant because I have a bad reaction to aspartame with heart palpitations, dizziness, and faintness. I just wish I could take a simple, hassle-free, non-nausea-inducing-pill! But, for now, it's just drink, drink, drink and try to choose my veges with bulk in mind!. Thanks so much for the advice and the reassurance. I think I'm clear on the situation now. Even if my bowel aren't....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 21:04

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default It a Thang...

I've been low-carbing since December and managed very well. 57 days and 52 Lbs lost, well when you're 395 the first 50 were really easy and with all the egg's and fat, my coat is sleek and glossy. I had a problem in the beginning being totally "Bunged up", euphemistically speaking, in reality it is a plug used to seal the hole in oak barrels. My loving wife found a "Senna" based Tea, called "Smooth Move!", Hey, It’s a Name! The good news is it works gently and works well and it tastes good! …and it keep’s ya moving if you ever get "bunged up" again, but lot’s of water is the answer.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 21:42
Registered Member

BF:

Wow! 52 lbs in 57 days, that's incredible! Congratulations! You must be so pleased, and with every right. I appreciate the feedback. That tea sounds like a good option to me. Where might I find that? Must I get it from a health food store? I don't have one within 60 miles of me, but I think it might be worth the drive. Is there any sugar or carbs to it?
Thanks. Tree
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 22:10

BF:
Default Smooth Move... Oh Really.

Theresa;

I checked with my wife, said she got from the Drug Store. No health food store's for me, those folks who work and own those stores look half dead and some of them smell like it too. Dead that is.

No Sugar, No Carbs, that's what the box says anyway.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 09:51

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Default what fixed me

after being (oh dear, my blushes) bunged solid to start with was cutting back the multi vitamin that included iron. I alternated it with one that has no iron and have had no problems since that day.
Going three times a day sounds worrying to me. Food in, waste out implies your pipes are completely full from top to bottom and there's no room for something to come in until something goes out! I'm starting to think that we're all being naggged into eating way too much fibre and that is what causes a lot of the symptoms of irritable bowel. I have only my personal experience to go on here, but basically, all my symptoms disappeared when I cut back the carb and the fibre that it included.
Anyone else care to comment?
Zan
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 15:34

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Exclamation Senna Tea

Jimsgems is correct that Senna Tea will get things moving again, but I urge you (both of you) to use it sparingly. It is a laxative, same as Ex-Lax and your bowels will become dependent on it with overuse.

I hate to admit this, but as a recovering bulemic, I used to abuse laxatives. I'm not sure if this can be considered good advice or not, but I always made sure that if I was going to "cleanse", as I liked to think of it, it was no more than twice a week. And even at that I found that I had to use more and more after a while. I eventually went for about 4 months without using them at all. (Yay me!) Then I backslid again and took 4 Extra Strength Ex Lax, and nothing unsual happened. I should have been doubled over in the loo for hours and hours. Nope. Normal BM and a bit of an upset tummy. That's it. This tells me that my body has created a very strong resistance to these things.

You may be thinking that Senna is okay because it's natural, but guess what they put in Ex Lax these days? Senna.

So, please, please, please... be very careful. If you can't have psyllium, may I suggest a nice big bowl of brussel sprouts or cabbage??? Tempting, I know...

Well, that concludes the sermon for today!

Jimsgems, your weight loss is absolutely inspiring to me! Congratulations! May we all be as successful!

Cheers!

Dizzy D
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 15:50

BF:
Default You are absolutely correct...

Dizzy D;

Yes, Thank you for the advice and words of warning. I am so amazed how well we all are doing and the distances we've traveled, and what a wonderful group we have here. It does my old heart good.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:08

Stats: 380/280/240
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default oops me too

Hi Guys,

I am new here and glad I found you all, whew. I have been on Atkins for 13 months and have lost 100lbs. thus far. I too am unfortunately have many of the aforementioned problems. This problem started approximately 3 months ago and I too have tried Ex-Lax and as Dizzy -D mentioned they are no longer working for me, which until I read this forum, I have been getting a bit scared about the situation. I drink tons of water and still have trouble.

I am no longer taking Ex-Lax, but after eating it like candy for 3 months, how long does it take the colon to get back to normal? I hope I didn't kill it!! hehe

Anyway I am very glad to meet all of you and hope to talk to you more. Keep up the good work all, take care.

Bryce
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:19

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Just something to be aware of......constipation is one (of several) of the symptoms of low thyroid. Just a tich of thyroid meds for me makes the difference between once or twice a week and daily.

Something that you might also consider are glycerin suppositories. They are fast and easy and attack the problem without any added calories or carbs to consider. It's my first line of defense when there is a problem and almost always works.

Marlaine
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:52

Plan: Aikens
Stats: 182/182/162
BF:
Default cabbage and more

hi all you low carbers

i too had tth 'bunged up' problem
tried Prodium and found it a great aide
it is made with psyllium husks and works great
no big surprises, gentle and 12 to 18 hour time period
i only used it once a week in the beginning..seemed to be enough
but now....
now i have found the wonders of
cabbage and sauerkraut
high in vitimins and fibre..what more can i ask???
also once I upped my water intake thinkgs just seemed to flow along!!! and have not stopped moving since
thanks for all the good reading and also the great encouraging weight losses that i have been reading on this thread
it makes me feel wonderful to know this LCing is working for us all
<')))><
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:04

Stats: 380/280/240
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Thank You

Thanks for the information guy's. I have a doc's appointment coming up so I will check the thyroid for sure just in case, and I will hit the stores for the rest. Take care all.

Bryce