Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 20:24

Plan: protein power, atkins
Stats: 137/128/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default why "look at inches and not lbs"?

can anyone explain why inches disappear faster than lbs on lc diets - please don't use the old "muscle weighs more than fat".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 20:28

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I hate to say it but...it probably *is* because muscle weighs more than fat...LOL.

Well, whatever the reason, do definitely look at inches! Last week I lost only two pounds (and gained a half pound back after that) and I was ready to jump off a very very tall building until I measured myself and found a half an inch of my waist gone, and an inch off my hips! Oh, and an inch off my bust, boo. Ah well, take the good with the bad...

#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In the first week, we do lose water from cells and digestive system & that water takes up room.

The 'adequate' supply of protein in LC diets supplies the body with needed material for making repairs and adding to muscle tissue. If you've been on a low cal or low fat diet, you may have been needing protein for quite a while.

If you exercise, you will put on new muscle tissue. BUT you will be losing fat if you're on LC eating. And fat takes up more room than the same weight of muscle.

You lose "fluffy" and gain "sleek". The exchange won't show on the scale because the fat lost could equal the muscle gained, just as a pound of iron is smaller than a pound of feathers.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 00:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Increasing lean mass also means a higher metabolism as well of a wonderful variety of other benifits. Those on starvation diets will often just look at the scale trying to push it lower not caring if it's fat or lean mass they are losing. This means as muscle disapears thier metabolism gets lower and they have to eat less and less. For many it also means bone density and organ health (both components of lean mass) are also effected negativly.

While it can be discouraging not seeing the scale move, moitoring the tape measure and using a program like www.mybodycomp.com to help you see body fat disapearing can be very encouraging. I always say no one sees the number on the scale but you, everyone though can see when you're wearing a smaller size of jeans.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 03:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This picture says it all. It's not that muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. The thing is, one pound of muscle takes up a whole lot less space in volume than does a pound of fat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fat vs muscle.jpg (17.0 KB, 36 views)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 05:31
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I love that picture

Debbie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I love the picture too, it really does put things in perspective!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:15

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Oh my gosh! Thanks for posting that pic. Sometimes it's hard to get a "visual" when you're trying to work out the muscle v. fat thing in your head.