Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 05:05

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Trying to explain to my son (age 13) WHY Twinkies are so bad:

"Have you ever heard the saying that after a nuclear war cockroaches are the only thing that will be left? Well, they got it wrong. There will be cockroaches AND Twinkies" Funny thing is, about 2 days later we watched an episode of Family Guy where there was a nuclear explosion and they were making a trek to the Twinkie factory 'cuz they figured that was the only thing left to eat on Earth

Twinkies have to be the most revolting "food" on the planet. The Hostess Cupcakes (with that white curl of icing on the top) are another story
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 19:18

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Also, for the record, Gillette has been teetering on the brink of ruin for upwards of 4 years (officially) now. They have hired and fired people within the space of mere months. But...more firing than hiring. Yes, that huge, huge company...with just "a few departments" here and there...adds up to thousands. Unable to row its own boat, Gillette put itself up on the auction block two years ago. Can you imagine? "Please buy me." And NOBODY would take it. Yargh. Think about this, now. This is a company that sells razors. RAZORS. Who the heck doesn't use razors? If there is a single solitary person on this board who does not use razors, please stand up and raise your hand. I personally will be shocked to see it waving there.

It is not only companies whose products are no longer in demand, that are in trouble. It is virtually every major corporation in this country, currently. Did you check out Colgate-Palmolive and Unilver (the U.S. division) this week? They lowered their guidances drastically--they are not making money. They just aren't. It is not just baked goods that are on the chopping block. People here are NOT gloating about these companies being unable to sell flour products. They're laughing at the insanity of the company saying it IS because people "won't" eat flour products. Nobody means to hurt anybody--it just seems to be very ironic, that's all.

Again, I feel for your situation and I hope you find another position soon. That's what we all do--the many, many, many other people, in other industries, that this has happened to. When my mortgage company went down, I felt sad (and terrified of not having a job) but I knew they were starting to do really crappy stuff. At one point, my company put out a mortgage for an 80-year-old woman who was about to starve to death unless she mortgaged her home. 80 years...30 year mortgage. You do the math. It was sickening. I did NOT mind ANY jokes about that company going under. Joking about it was what kept us all sane in those final weeks before we were axed for good. We just had to laugh...sometimes you just have to.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Death to Twinkie! The chant of the low carb revolution. But does anyone think it will be that easy? Do I feel sorry for any company that has taken advantage of American citizens and their weakness for all things loaded with sugar. It is unfortunate that hard working Americans will lose their jobs as these companies get their just dessert. Perhaps those who lose their jobs can work in the new "low-carb" driven food industry. At least their jobs won't be leaving the country like the high tech industry. Yet...