Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Lightbulb Hey, big guys!!

Hey guys,

Recently, more men have de-lurked and started participating in our low-carb discussion and support

I've had several emails and PM's in the past suggesting that we creat a sub-forum dedicate for men. I normally go ahead and create a sub-forum when there is demand for it.

But the interesting thing, which made me hesitate, is that all the requests so far have come from women and I have no clue why.

So I thought I'll bring it up here, and see what you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, any advantages, disadvantages, do we need it......

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 21:30

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

If there are a decent number of men who feel they can't really address certain topics in this general forum and really need some kind of dedicated area, then sure, sounds good. To be honest I don't usually see enough men in these areas to support a whole board area, but if there are, and that's what they want, why not.

If there are women (I'm curious it'd be the women making the request?!) that are not comfortable with men on the same board for whatever reason, it would be more logical to create some kind of 'women's issues' forum (that could be used by everyone, then it'd be more than just 100+) than parse out the men, that is almost... um... biased a little, you know, like "I'm not comfortable, so all the men should leave" or something like that.

Personally I really like having a diversity of gender, age, and personality on a message board. In fact, I've run or managed message boards myself since the early 90's (when they were BBS's) and in my experience, those that are healthiest (in every way) are those with real diversity among the members.

So I'd vote to keep things as they are (it's not like there is tons of post volume here already after all)... unless someone wants to come forward with whatever good reasons there might be for doing otherwise, which of course I might never have thought of.

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb I embrace diversity!

I'd be happy to participate in a men's only group from time to time if there were topics raised specifically for men. But I enjoy the diversity of the group. I agree with the earlier post that if there are women who want to discuss things more privately, maybe those issues could be seperated out.

Either way, I plan to participate rather than lurking!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
If there are women (I'm curious it'd be the women making the request?!) that are not comfortable with men on the same board for whatever reason,

I'll act as the spokesperson!

The reason is that the women folk have noticed that men come to the board and don't stick around. We were wondering if it was because of the large amount of women here. It might scare them off. Men also seem to approach the WOL a bit differently and they lose weight differently.

Our common ground is low carbing and I completely agree with you:
Quote:
Personally I really like having a diversity of gender, age, and personality on a message board. In fact, I've run or managed message boards myself since the early 90's (when they were BBS's) and in my experience, those that are healthiest (in every way) are those with real diversity among the members.

We just don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable because they can't find others in the same situation - or gender! - to relate to.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 13:27

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

To me, I like having the men here. It's good to see a well rounded group of folks. It's fun to have people from all different countries, different ages and both genders. I have male friends and family dealing with the same issues, so for me it's good to see the men here succeeding. If there are MEN that want to have their own place, then I think it would be something to consider. I think their presence would be missed though. Victoria
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: slow carb (4 hour body)
Stats: 460/436/220 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy why i'm lurking...

I'm not a very active part of this forum. I used to be. Thinking about it, i wasn't sure why i've been not visiting as much. But then i realized.

I'm doing really well in my diet and things are happening pretty much on their own, and i haven't seen too much to keep me coming back, so i've been straying a bit. It's not like i'm too good for this place, far from it, but things are taking care of themselves and i'm kind of falling out of practice with coming here each day.

Now that i made this realization, i'm going to be coming around a lot more, maybe ecery day again. I don't want this forum to be something that i just quit doing, like the other diets i've been on. I hope that i can help anyone out who needs it. I can always learn from others and still take inspiration away from what i read here. So i'm going to try and stay.

bill

oh, p.s. i don't think men need their own section (look at me calling myself a man). We can just title our threads something with men in it if we need that kind of help. Unless women are uncomfortable with us around. Like those gyms for just the ladies. I suppose that would mean a big change around here, and it's probably not likely that's the dase anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 01:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I hope that i can help anyone out who needs it. I can always learn from others and still take inspiration away from what i read here. So i'm going to try and stay.

That would be wonderful golemShed. We need diversity - people different experiences with their WOE. It is the differences that keep it interesting! We need people who are successful as well as those who struggle so we can always be learning why.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 360/310/299
BF:
Progress: 82%

I agree with karen ,
Bill..... I certainly hope you keep up with your journal , I have so enjoyed reading it!

for those of us that have a lot to lose, we need to keep in mind that this is going to be a longer journey for us than most to reach our goal, [ I'm figuring a couple years myself ] and even tho things are going just great for us in the beginning- we are bound to hit some plateaus and stalls along the way, that we will need to hang tough through. Remaining a part of the support group could be what keeps us from just giving up when we otherwise might.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 22:57

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ in Miam
If there are women (I'm curious it'd be the women making the request?!) that are not comfortable with men on the same board for whatever reason

I have to chime in with Karen -- it's not that at all. We love the company of men! Haven't you noticed how nearly every post by a man is followed by a reply saying how great it is to get a man's opinion? I didn't make the request, but thought of it. (I didn't know others had till now.) I was just afraid we might be a bit overwhelming with all the talk of TOM, etc.

Of course, I suspect a men's forum wouldn't be entirely private ... umm ... it would be so intriguing ... so hard to resist ... it would probably end up as the most heavily visited forum on the site!

Allison
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:32

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Lightbulb Open Discussions...

From this man's point of view, I definately do not mind discussion of TOM or any other topics. My sister has also joined this WOE, and I share with her everything I read and learn here.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 437/392/360
BF:
Progress: 58%

Im fairly new to this WOL and personally, I enjoy the diversity of support on these forums. I don't see the need for having a separate forum for men. We all share common goals and we need to get over our shyness and DO something about it !
Thanks to everyone who's provided support during the last 6 weeks. My family is very supportive but it's good to know that others going through similar issues are "there for you".Even if you only lose a pound or two - to those here it's very important where your freinds may say "that's all you lost ?"
Thanks again everyone for your support,
Craig
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:49

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Cast my vote for diversity I think these guys (and gals) are great!

Sh'ra
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:20

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Exclamation Yes to Mens Forum!

I'm pretty new here, but it seems to me that having a mens issue forum is not something that will kill diversity, but rather add to it. I mean thats why we have all these different forums in the first place?

Men loose weight differently and unfortunately most of the diet industry advice is aimed at women. This is because most of the Weight loss industry is Big Business (he he pun) and Women are 95% of the customers.

Here in Australia, statisticaly there are more obese men than there are women (I hear it's te other way round in the US). But if you look at who is dieting - 95% is women.

Men need to be encouraged more - thats why I think a forum on mens issues would be good - to encourage the men that aren't necessarily intertested in TOM posts

personally I like diversity - but my vote is for a Men's forum
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:48

Stats: 221/210/160
BF:
Progress:

I think the men should be part of this support group. My husband is on this plan with me and I imagine there are a lot of other woman who's spouses are too and the feed back we can give each other is very important I think.

We are both doing well and enjoy hearing how everyone else is doing as well.

So Men join us and we will help each other on this adventure!

Linda
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:54
Registered Member

Stats: 231/221/150 Male 5' 8"/1.72m
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile 'broad' mens board

I love it here with or without a separate 'guys' board. I'd be checking in more often, except there just aren't enough hours in a day (plus I'm a painfully slow typist). I've never felt shy about chiming in (though I worry sometimes that some might not appreciate my general flippancy--I'm not rude; just shallow & glib ). I've taken 'guy' slanted questions to the Atkins or Health boards, & had great responses; I've never felt excluded.

Maybe guys don't last long enough (there's a party joke waiting to happen) because of that guy metabolism thing that seems to let them lose on most plans faster than ladies, and upon reaching goal weight (& being guys) they lose focus, & wander off to 'the next thing'

I'm here 'cuz of a lot of reasons, silly to dead serious, but one of them is my 14 yr. old daughter. I mean, not just that sappy (but true) stuff about wanting to be there with her, but I'm remembering what a cruel time of life adolescence can be, & while I know she'd never say anything about it, I'll bet she kind of shudders inwardly when we're all together at a parent/student function. I've always been a part of her world, sometimes just another 'big kid', & while it's natural for teens to draw apart emotionally a bit from their parents at this age, I don't want my size to exacerbate the problem.

Regardless, I'll keep posting, & I've got to tell you, I kind of enjoy being part of the general population. We're all in the same boat here, and given the visual 'anonymity' of posting, we get to shine for our wit, or our earnestness, or all the human things about us that the world at large( ) doesn't get to see when we're out there in person. Being one of a small population of guys in a predominantly female population is kind of fun (No, DW, I'm not flirting online!!)