Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 380/200/200 Female 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Heavy whipping cream vs. milk

I was just at the supermarket this morning to buy some eggs, and thought that i would check out the carb content of some dairy products. To my disbelief heavy whipping cream (Land O Lakes brand) has absolutely no carbs. How can this be when milk and cheese contain some carbs? Needless to say i bought the whipping cream for my decaf coffee, and decided to give it a taste. Besides being a little thicker than milk it tastes the same. Only thing it is very expensive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 14:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Aha! You have stumbled into the incredibly interesting world of product labelling. It's one of the first stops when you enter the world of low-carbing.

Go to Introductions, click on Newbies Questions and you'll find this link: Cheese, Canadian and American Labeling Laws in the More Newbie Information thread.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Lightbulb Cream it!

Would that be: For Newbies - Carb Counting and Label Reading? Anyway, bcu28, cream —and the heavier the better— certainly is much better than milk. Its rich “near-carblessness” far offsets its price. If you want a tool that’s extremely accurate, just go to the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference and enter the foodstuff you want to know about. There you would, for instance discover that 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream with 37% fat is worth 0.419 carbs; quite a difference with the 0.75 carbs you will find in a tablespoon fat-free milk!
And Land O Lakes is not a bad brand at all either…
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 07:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 380/200/200 Female 6'3"
BF:
Default Thanks

Wow I think that this whole labeling system in the U.S. is messed up. Well anyhow cream is still good in coffee, just a little. Thanks for the information.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

All I can say is thank God for Heavy whipping cream! I just luv the stuff. Never could eat it before (too much fat, blah, blah, blah), but now I have truly rediscovered the joy of cooking and eating. God bless, low carb for life. Amen-
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:14

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Now that I'm having berries again, I do like to have about 1 or 2 tbsp heavy cream drizzled over 1/2 cup berries (especially strawberries). It totally quenches my desire for sweets, and is certainly healthier!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:35

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

I have always liked the French sauce recipes that call for adding a bit of cream to the 'leavings in the bottom of a pan after saute-ing the meat, and then add shallots, maybe some mushrooms, stir and simmer till the cream starts to thicken. Pour over the meat. Sinful.

Ok, Hungry now, gotta go to the kitchen.
YB
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 01:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default As well as…

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
I have always liked the French sauce recipes that call for adding a bit of cream to the 'leavings in the bottom of a pan after saute-ing the meat, and then add shallots, maybe some mushrooms, stir and simmer till the cream starts to thicken. Pour over the meat.
Ah oui c'est vrai, c'est très bon ça! You can also add a tiny bit of Cognac. Très français and très bon aussi!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 14:26

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Yes, my favorite is a little bit of wine(either white or red). Hubby is the cognac freak. When I did lo-fat 'dieting', I always missed the good things found in French foods, but now I can have a few of them and they are OK! I'm in heaven. A restaurant near us has a veal francais. Surprisingly tender veal (I can never get it that way) with a sauce like we described over it. They serve it w/ a bit of buttered asparagus.

If I don't feel like cooking, I just whine to hubby that I'm hungry for this veal. He likes it so much, I don't have to whine long!
YB
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 13:11
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Surprisingly tender

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
A restaurant near us has a veal français. Surprisingly tender veal (I can never get it that way)
They might have pounded it a little with a mallet… A rolling pin might do the trick for those who don't own one but don't over do it!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 14:13

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Cool

You agrarians, you! Back where I came from, we didn't milk the buffalo, or the mastadons, so, by G--, I ain't eatin no dairy! Besides, I'm alergic as heck to it! So....never mind, and that's the truth!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Veal

I guess I am lucky - being an Aussie.

We have real veal... as in really young calves giving their lives so that we might partake.

Ewww sounds terrible that way - but here we get the most AMAZING veal! Oh and lamb - so tender - so flavoursome. Maybe this is why Australians are the worlds second largest consumer of lamb.

Don't get me started on pumpkin!!!!

Ok I will.

When I lived in the States I had a few interesting shopping experiences with my fiance. One night I was hanging for lamb chops with vege's. Needless to say people were horrorified when I explained I wanted to serve them on a bed of mashed pumpkin. Double sin! BOOYA!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 12:02

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

You Aussies truly know how to make a guy salivate!!! Boy! Does that sound good. It appeals to my paleolithic tastes. Imagine killing one of those tender little babies and eating the mom, too! YUMMY! Roast it over a fire. Hear the crackling fat as it makes the flames dance and heat us all in our skins on that cold winter night! I can smell the flavorful aroma. Or, what about one of those cute little lambs? Yumm! On a bed of baked pumpkin...interesting...with a little olive oil and garlic, I'll bet it is scrumptious! I understand that those really cute little harp seals are pretty good eating, too. But, there is nothing like a great big baby mastadon steak to make my mouth water...imagine, Mastadon veal!