Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:20

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fat Flush Plan

I would like to know if anyone out there is doing the The Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman and if it's working for you.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 09:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lanny. I've done it twice before, both times just as a detox thing. It's too strict for me to stick to. It works really well, though. I made a couple of changes to keep it fairly LC - I only ate berries as the fruit portions, and I had an extra serving of protein every day. I was a little more generous with the fat, too. And I was still a tad hungry.

There are a couple of threads about it in the Plan Comparison forum.

I believe Doreen T and Mischa have both done it, also, if you want to peruse their journals. The "search this thread" button will probably come in handy.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 10:03

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny
I would like to know if anyone out there is doing the The Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman and if it's working for you.

thanks guys
me! me! It's not only working, it WORKED!! I love this plan! I tried and failed at many others and this one's a winner.

As Kristine says, it's pretty strict for the first two weeks (you can do ANYTHING for two weeks, cancha?) but after that it starts to loosen up. In maintenance, many deferred favorites return in healthier versions (brown rice instead of white rice, whole grains instead of wheat, etc.).

After being on the plan for 3 months, DH insisted on joining me (he was tired of me doing a 'horizon' on him during our bicycle rides) and he's flushed about 40 pounds so far (painlessly, as far as I can tell ). He's dropped from size XL to med/large and from size 40 waist pants to 34 waist.

feel free to ask me specific questions or send me a pm.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 15:22

BF:
Progress:

Well Csoar you seem please with the results...lol...im glad it worked and i did send you a PM...Kristina thank you for directing me to the other threads on FFP...since your in Canada where did you buy your cranberry jucie? im sure its not the ocean spray they have in supermarkets...i presum i have to get it at the health food stores...thanks in advance
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 17:36

Well phooey! No pm in sight.
You could also post a question to my journal thingie!

You're right, the unsweetened cranberry juice is usually found in health food store or health food section of larger chain grocers. It most definitely is NOT the ocean spray variety (it has added sugars...you REALLY need the unsweetened juice or concentrate). The book has a recipe for making your own juice from cranberries, too. If you've got the time and the berries.

Stores to try: Choices, GNC, Whole Foods, Capers, Lifestream (Vancouver, I believe), Community Health Food store in Calgary and that about taps out my Canuck ideas.

Last edited by csoar2004 : Wed, Sep-15-04 at 08:34.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 07:51

BF:
Progress:

Csoar..i see your a member also on FFP...so i will read there too...thanks
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 08:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lanny, I just bought frozen Ocean Spray cranberries and made my own. It's way cheaper than buying it bottled. I don't have my book anymore, but I'm pretty sure the instructions for making your own are in there somewhere.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/141/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: -4%
Default What is the fat flush??

What is fat flush, can you do it pre-atkins to get started. I have been ligit on atkins for 8 days, and am in ketosis and have not lost a pound, nor an inch and I am Mad!! I am sticking to it almost perfect, except my one cup of coffee a day. I would love to get a little weight off.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/141/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: -4%
Default What is p.m.

I have had people say that I could p.m. them, what does that mean???
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasue
What is fat flush, can you do it pre-atkins to get started. I have been ligit on atkins for 8 days, and am in ketosis and have not lost a pound, nor an inch and I am Mad!! I am sticking to it almost perfect, except my one cup of coffee a day. I would love to get a little weight off.
Hi tina, I answered this question for another poster just this morning. Check it out: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=208923

PM = private message. If you click on a users nic, one of the menu options that pops up is: Send a private message.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I like making my own. One thing making my own cranberry water from fresh cranberries taught me is what proper cranberry water should look like. It should be faintly red or pink looking. The unsweetened juices are way too concentrated to take 8 ounces and make 64 ounces of cranberry water. To make the proper concentration it's more like 3-4 ounces of juice to make 64 ounces. I think that's why some people are still getting cravings even after they cut out the fruits on FFP.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:58

Default point of clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I like making my own. One thing making my own cranberry water from fresh cranberries taught me is what proper cranberry water should look like. It should be faintly red or pink looking. The unsweetened juices are way too concentrated to take 8 ounces and make 64 ounces of cranberry water. To make the proper concentration it's more like 3-4 ounces of juice to make 64 ounces. I think that's why some people are still getting cravings even after they cut out the fruits on FFP.

Define "proper"
If you follow the Fat Flush Plan eating guidelines, then the "proper" dilution IS 8 oz unsweetened cranberry juice to 56 oz water. (If you are following something else, I suppose you can cut the cranwater however you wish. )
There is no carb counting in the FFP. And FYI...low glycemic fruit is allowed in the FFP eating plan (encouraged, in fact) so cutting fruit out is also not following the FFP.

It's been my experience (1.5 year's worth...lol) that those who continue to experience cravings while in the FFP:
1) eat off plan regularly or binge off plan now and then
2) have yeast or parasite issues
3) don't eat enough protein
4) don't eat often enough
5) have magnesium deficiencies
6) there is no #6...(well there IS, but my memory chip is faulty!)

**end clarification**
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 08:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004

Define "proper"
If you follow the Fat Flush Plan eating guidelines, then the "proper" dilution IS 8 oz unsweetened cranberry juice to 56 oz water. (If you are following something else, I suppose you can cut the cranwater however you wish. )
There is no carb counting in the FFP. And FYI...low glycemic fruit is allowed in the FFP eating plan (encouraged, in fact) so cutting fruit out is also not following the FFP.

Actually, on page 166 of the Fat Flush Plan program book .. in the Fat Flush Protocol section, Gittleman's own response is that it's perfectly acceptable to adapt and personalize the program to one's own needs:
Quote:
Do I really have to stick to the Fat Flush Plan exactly as described, or can I personalize it a bit?

You certainly can personalize the Fat Flush Plan to suit your own needs. The program is based on prinicples, not just on hard-and-fast dos and don'ts. Of course, I would like you to build your meals around as many Fat Flushing elements as possible to get the best results: the Long Life Cocktail, hot water and lemon, increased water, lean protein, low-glycemic-index fruits and vegetables, flaxseed oil, and GLA supplements. Each of these elements has specific fat-burning and diuretic properties ...........

As some of the others have mentioned here, I also chose to limit my sweet fruit intake to one portion daily, but made sure to have plenty of non-sweet fruits such as tomatoes, zucchini and other summer squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplants and the like.

I also chose to have a Tbsp organic x.virgin olive oil in addition to the flaxseed oil. My research indicates that flax oil alone may not be sufficient to provide essential fatty acids for some people. It's well known that a significant percentage of adults (some say as many as 15 - 25%) lack sufficient delta-6 desaturase - the enzyme required to convert alpha-linoleic acid in flax to the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. This is why it's recommended to also take fish oils, which provide those essential fatty acids pre-formed. However, alpha-linoleic acid is used in the body for important functions including conversion to eicosanoids / prostaglandins and cell structures .. in other words, it's not all available to be used for caloric energy by the body. Thus, the calories - especially calories from FAT - potentially drop even lower, and let's face it, FFP is a low calorie diet, albeit a very healthy and nutritious one. The added olive oil is a small amount, but provides fat energy and healthful omega-9 EFA's, especially oleic acid. Yes, I'm aware of the discussion about olive oil in the book, however I chose to include this based on my own specific health needs. I didn't just add extra fat at random .. it was carefully measured and controlled.

I think it's far more important to incorporate those principles which are relevant to our own body chemistry than to just follow a set of cookie-cutter instructions, food lists and menus. Of course, if it's all new to you, then it only makes sense that you'd begin by following the instructions as written .. and then by listening to your body and being aware of your reactions to foods and situations, make gradual changes and adaptations that work for YOU! That's when it truly becomes a way of life, and not just a "diet".

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

tinasue, "pm" means personal message.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 12:09

Talking Yippee! Another FFP afficionado!

Hi Doreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Actually, on page 166 of the Fat Flush Plan program book .. in the Fat Flush Protocol section, Gittleman's own response is that it's perfectly acceptable to adapt and personalize the program to one's own needs
Absolutely. My problem with Zuleikaa's statement was with the use of "proper" in the context of discussing cranwater. "proper" may refer to HER utilization in an ATKINS context, but not in a FFP context. I just wanted to make that clear to the those unfamiliar with the FFP. Ultimately, the MORE one adapts ANY plan's eating guidelines to suit themselves, the more one is actually doing the Doreen Fat Flush or the Charli-Atkins. The closer you can stick to the eating plans as laid out, the faster/better it works. IMHO! (and not to quibble or anything, but the passage you quoted is actually in the Because You Asked Q&A section of the book, NOT the FF eating protocol section. )
Quote:
I also chose to have a Tbsp organic x.virgin olive oil in addition to the flaxseed oil.
Actually, this is a Phase 3 A-ok thing to do. (um...I thought EVOO was a source of omega 9? Good for heart but not as critical to weight loss as the omega 3's and 6's)
However, in earlier phases, Gittleman has pretty closely balanced omega 3's and 6's using FSO and GLA and lean protein in order to maximize weight loss. Attempting to follow the FFP (or Atkins, for that matter, IMHO) without taking a GLA (or EFA) supplement will mean that your body burns off its stores of omega 3 first. Depleted stores of omega 3's can result in easy weight gain and subsequent difficulty shifting it off again...bear with me, I'm going to channel my friend, Jenny:
Quote:
When talking about omega-3 fats, it’s important to be aware of omega-6 fats in order to understand their immense role in health. These two types of fat, omega-3 and omega-6, are both essential for human health. However, the typical American consumes far too many omega-6 fats in their diet while consuming very low levels of omega-3. The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats is 1:1. Our ancestors evolved over millions of years on this ratio. Today, though, our ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 averages from 20:1 to 50:1(!! yikies) That lack of omega-3 from fish oil is one of the most serious health issues plaguing contemporary society.

The primary sources of omega-6 are corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oil; these oils are overabundant in the typical diet, which explains our excess omega-6 levels. It’s important to avoid or limit these oils.

A major part of the problem is that at the beginning of 1900 we had very little processed vegetable oils, which are virtually 100 percent omega-6 fat, in our diet. In the last 100 years the U.S. population has gone from consuming virtually no vegetable fats to consuming more than 70 pounds per person per year. It is likely this unnaturally high consumption of omega-6 fats that is totally distorting the important omega 6:3 ratio.

So as I mentioned above, it is vital to reduce the omega-6 vegetable oils in your diet as much as possible while increasing the amount of beneficial omega-3 fats. Doing so will help you to prevent a long list of diseases and I highly recommend that everyone – from infant to senior and every age in between – make these dietary changes for health today.
I think most of us consume WAY too much omega 6's than is good for us! These days, we can find whatever research we want to support our positions. And diversity of opinion is a GOOD thing in my view! Be pretty dang boring around this planet if we all held the same opinions.
Quote:
I think it's far more important to incorporate those principles which are relevant to our own body chemistry than to just follow a set of cookie-cutter instructions, food lists and menus. Of course, if it's all new to you, then it only makes sense that you'd begin by following the instructions as written .. and then by listening to your body and being aware of your reactions to foods and situations, make gradual changes and adaptations that work for YOU! That's when it truly becomes a way of life, and not just a "diet".
I agree. No diet works for 100% of those who try it. It's important to listen to your body and its response to foods. And ultimately, it's the diet you CAN live with, that leads to success.

Last edited by csoar2004 : Fri, Sep-17-04 at 11:23.