Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/141/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: -4%
Default Is Splenda Sweetened Kool Aid Okay For Induction

I Am Loving My Splenda Sweetened Tropical Punch Kool Aid, But Is It Too Good To Be True? Is This A No No On Induction. It Is Not Listed As Most Grown Ups Dont Get So Excited Over Kool-aid. I Do!! If Anyone Knows Let Me Know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 13:34

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

it should be fine as long as it just has splenda in it.

I love Kool-Aid too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:27

Stats: 138/131.5/120 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I really hope splenda kool-aid is ok.. cause that would sure help me alot. I hate water so I think I'm going to try it and see how it works for me. ;o)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/188/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I think you should be fine! My DH drinks it and hasn't had any issues. I prefer crystal lite to kool aid, but either is better than soda!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:31

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are a few carbs in Splenda, something like 0.5g in 1tsp of the bulk stuff, and 1g in a packet that is the equivalent of 2tsp of sugar. So you might count that in your total, but otherwise if it satisfies you then do it. Anything is better than quitting this approach to eating because you can't stand it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 16:39

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

2 Liters/Quarts (8 cups) of Kool Aid requires about 1 cup of Sugar/Splenda. So, each cup [if made with Granular Splenda] would have 3g of Carbs, 6g for a 16 oz. Glass. That's a little too Carb Heavy IMHO, especially since I drink up to a Gallon (1 Gallon = 48g of Carbs) a day when I make it. So, I use Stevia Extract (No Fillers = No Carbs) and only the newer Kool Aid Packets (the ones with "Caffeine Free" printed in the Upper Right Corner.) The old packets contained Cornstarch.

Old Kool Aid (Cherry): Citric Acid (Provides Tartness,) Modified Cornstarch, Calcium Phosphate (Prevents Caking,) Red 40, Salt, Artificial Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C,) Blue 1

New Kool Aid (Cherry): Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Red 40, Salt, Artificial Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C,) Artificial Color, Blue 1
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 21:00

Stats: 192/157/155 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Can't see why it wouldn't be okay. Just remember Splenda isn't carb-free. Kool-Aid takes 1 cup of sugar per package. I'm assuming it's one cup of Splenda as well. Of course, this can always be sweetened to taste.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 22:38

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno_can
Can't see why it wouldn't be okay. Just remember Splenda isn't carb-free. Kool-Aid takes 1 cup of sugar per package. I'm assuming it's one cup of Splenda as well. Of course, this can always be sweetened to taste.

Before I discovered Stevia, I used to mix Splenda and Sweet 'N Low 50/50 and use half the amount. I've also used Liquid Saccharine in the past, but the taste just isn't the same. Liquid Saccharine seems to work best when blended with some weak Stevia Extract [eg. NOW Brand.] I've tried Saccharine Tablets, but I had a hard time getting them to dissolve properly and they didn't seem to sweeten enough. Maybe if you mixed them with another sweetener, they might work better.