Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I perfer to make my own. Yummy!

I love peanut butter and chocolate--probably my fav combo of food!!! These are pretty tasty!! The recipe says it makes 10 but I can get at the most 8 out of the ingredients. I only make 6 now so they are a pretty good size!

Peanut Butter Cups
1 stick unsalted butter (I use salted!)
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/3 c Splenda
1 T heavy cream
4 T peanut butter
chopped walnuts (I don't use these)

Melt butter, chocolate, and Splenda in the microwave. Stir in cream and peanut butter. Line 10 (or in my case 6) muffin tins with cupcake papers. Place nuts in the bottom of each tin. Divide chocolate mixture between the tins. Freeze until firm. These need to be stored in the freezer because they melt quick. You can eat them right out of the freezer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 11:40

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

ooooo might try that one!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 11:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawna
My hidden carb radar went on alert status when I read the nutritional info. I'm wondering if these really have one carb and not 10 per package.

Inulin (fiber) is listed as 9 grams.

Is this fiber that has been added to the chocolate so that we see the 9 g and automatically subtract it for our net carb count? If it is, then it cannot be subtracted from the total carb count. Only fiber that is inherent to the food can be deducted for a net carb count.

If the fiber ALL cames from the peanuts, then we're fine. If it's been added to fool us, then it's one of those too good to be true scenarios.

Huh??? If inulin (a fiber) is an ingredient in teh candy bar...it IS part of the total carb count for that particular food... and can be subtracted just as if it had been "inherent to the food"... If they added 9 MORE grams, it would raise the total carb count by 9, but could still be subtracted.....
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:10

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I haven't tried those - I guess I like my Russel Stover Sugar Free bite sized candies (to ensure I don't overeat). I hardly eat them though, cos, well... You all know - but the occasional bit is ok. (c: I actually just tried one of those sugar free Nestle Crunch Bars and it tasted the same. It was good. (c:
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Oh yeh, those peanut butter cups keep me stepping too. I had one left in my desk and I ate it this morning, I had an early breakfast so I got hungry before lunch, which I usually don't. Anyway I just had to go. I didn't put two and two together until I read this thread. Yep. That's what caused it. I won't be buying any more of them Peg
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:13

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

I count carbs from sugar alcohols! So I would subtract the fiber from the total carb, and that would be the carb count for two cups.

I thought it was established that SA grams count, even if they have less of an impact on blood sugar.

Is this not true?
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:35
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I had one awhile ago and now I am feeling sooooo sleepy.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:40

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
I count carbs from sugar alcohols! So I would subtract the fiber from the total carb, and that would be the carb count for two cups.

I thought it was established that SA grams count, even if they have less of an impact on blood sugar.

Is this not true?

Depnds on which expert/friend/book you ask. They tirck is to detrimine if they effect you or not. Since they are digested slower, for many ppl they pass them out undigested and they dont count... but for some ppl they dont pass them out fast enough, and they do count... others are in the middle and its only partly digested so that only some count...
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 15:30

Stats: 260/213/199 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Sugar alcohols from Erythritol don't count, the others do... that's why I stick with Z-Carb.

http://www.eridex.com/html/nutrition.html
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 17:35

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Potatofree, in an ethical and perfect low carb world, the consumer would be treated with dignity and respect. Customer relations would be prized above the bottom line. We are not yet living in that perfect low carb world.

Sometimes the fiber inherent to the food has already been subtracted by the manufacturer. Added fiber is then put in the product and listed on the nutritional information as the fiber count. When that is done, the consumer is at a disadvantage. The net then is not the true net. This also works with the correct total carb count. If a candy bar comes in at 20 total carbs with, let's say <1 g fiber inherent to the food, that does not make me want to buy it. If the nutritional information shows 15 g of fiber and some SA's, then the product looks more low carb friendly.

The bottom line for the consumer is to be able to tell if the 15 g of fiber have been added to the product in order to make the numbers look good. If it was added, then it will not affect the original 20 total carbs. You would still have those to deal with.

Until the FDA regulates carbs, all kinds of deceptive practices are allowed to flourish. I do not suggest that this is the case with these PB cups. I am just wondering if the fiber was added to the candy because it was identified by name as a fiber. When I buy nuts, for example, there is just a listing for fiber, not fiber by any other name.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 17:42
Fully Caffeinated

And sometimes the toal carb count on a label for nuts is already "minus" the fiber. Check the number of threads where people think walnuts are carb-free, or even that certain foods have "negative carbs" because of it. Labels in the UK seem to ALL be this way... Labelling glitch, or plot by the big nut companies?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 18:34

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Dawna, I have to admit I am confused. Why does it matter if the fibre is added in by the manufacturer? Isn't the "subtracting" effect of fibre due to its combination with the carbs in your GI tract (meaning, the fibre keeps some of the carbs from being absorbed)?

But I agree, "added-in" fibre seems so unnatural. And for me, low-carb is all about natural/unprocessed.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 18:42

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I can hardly wait till we get them in Canada.
Low carb Reece's PB cups are proof of a benevolent and loving deity.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 10:26

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hifive, fiber passes through the body undigested so we're allowed to subtract it from the food it comes from and only from the food it comes from.

If I understand you correctly, then I could keep eating all the things Dr. Atkins has me giving up as long as I take lots of fiber supplements along with the carbs. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's how it works.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 10:56
Fully Caffeinated

No, fiber supplements don't CANCEL OUT the carbs in the food. For example, if you ate a cupcake contailing 60g of carbs, none of them fiber, but took a 40 gram supplement of fiber... the TOTAL carbs for the snack would be 100 grams. 100 grams, minus the fiber, still leaves you with 60 grams of carbs. NOT an acceptible choice...

Combining those 40 grams INTO the cupcake batter would have the same effect of raising the TOTAL carbs, but still wouldn't have any effect on the NET carbs.