Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 265/230/170
BF:
Progress: 37%
Angry :mad: Aint fair

hi folks

it not fair before i start low carbing i was walking 5 day a week 5 miles a day, i did not lose a pound or an inch,now that i am low carbing and loosing pounds and lots of inches
i am told by my doctor that i have to stop walking and to keep of my foot

my problem started 2 years ago i was involved in a car crash and i tore the ACHILLES TENDON in my left ankle , a new MRI shows it is getting worse and i am suppose to stay off my feet, what am i suppose to do, i love walking

i guess i will have to buy that stationary bike i saw at the thrift store and go riding, it so booring riding a stationary bike
folks i am sorry if i sound like i am wining but ,it not fair ,and i am still on the atkins diet doing great and loving the attention i am getting :
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi there, I am sabrina. Sorry to hear of your problem but it your mri shows it is getting worse you may want to listen to your doctor. Have you asked your doc would it be alright if you walked maybe 2 or 3 times a week at maybe 1-2 miles each time if that would be ok? There is a machine out called the freestyle glider, its just like walking but you are in air moving your feet as if you were walking . It has handles so if you wanted to intensify your workout you could move your arms while you are walking. I have seen it on qvc and it is also in the aol netmarket catalog that I got. Its priced around 150.00 Just trying to brighten your day up a bit. Hope it helps. By the way you are doing terrific on this woe. i restarted the atkins about a week ago and lost 8 lbs in my first week. Weighed myself again today and lost another 2. Feels good. Hope to talk to ya soon. Have a great day Sabrina
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 16:32

Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

What a BUMMER!!

So sorry to hear this, IYONNA!!! I think you have a right to whine!!
Its not easy to work up to that much walking in the first place... and you really enjoy it.

But you have to do as the doctor says... its NOT worth the risk!!
Make sure you check with the doctor about the bicycle too ahead of time. (Not trying to be a kill-joy but you don't want to do more damage)

HEY---- if the stationary bike is OKed, why not invest in a regular bicycle too?? That would at least get you out and about again.

I hope this is a condition that will eventually heal (don't know anything about it)

Hang in there, IYONNA!!
Ellie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default How about swimming

How about swimming or aqua aerobics? Ask your doctor what kind of exercise would be ok.

Kim
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 19:13
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Ellie and Kim both beat me to it!! I was thinking both a regular bike so you can still be out in the sunshine (and a LOT less boring than a stationary bike) or water-based exercise.

There are always options!! So sorry to hear about your leg though.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Sabrina & Ellieat
well i didnot listen to my doctor,however, i cut the walking down to 3 days still walk 5 miles and i was wearing a brace and it was pure hell have you seen a grown woman cry?(I didnot cry when the dog bit my butt)but, ankle pain is hell,anyhow i cannot ride a two wheeler bicycle,can you imagine the rear view?) do you mean the machine that have you doing the SPLIT? the glider per doc i would be putting too much weight on the foot,(it was agood idea).
Congrulation on loosing 10 lbs you are doing great

k-louise & squeele

You are so right what a bummer when everything finally started to go right this have to happen,i am a survivor, i am at my best when thing is crazy,
anyhow, doc say to take up swimmimg i was a great swimmer so i will be going back to swimming much safer than riding bicycle and doing the split.(nickname-klutzylady-if anything can go wrong with the bicycle & glider it will happen to me

THANK YOU all for the encouragement i needed that
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 09:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

I know how you feel somewhat with that pain, many years ago I walked a little walkathon for walk america, I think it was like 5 miles, I had not conditioned myself prior to this and I did not wear the right shoes for this either. Needless to say later on I could hardly walk. I went to the doctors and he put me on crutches it hurt so bad. He said that I had stretched my achilles tendon, I used to have problems with them every once in a while it would flare up in both feet/ankles. So I know that it does hurt. It has been a long time for a flare up (knock on wood). Just thought I would share that with ya so you know that there is someone out here who can somewhat relate. Have a great day sabrina
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Maybe an idea...

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but...

You may want to try an Aqua Jogger. It is a floatation bely you wear in the water that allows you to remain upright in the water. You can then move your arms and legs (with or without weights) in a jogging or cross country skiing motion. The resistance from the water is great and it is a good workout.

Any large sporting good store should be able to get you set up, and the cost was reasonable (about $30 US)
Stephen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default ooops!

Belt...the word in the above post is FLOATATION BELT !!!
Stephen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:
Smile aint fair

thanks Sabrina and i hope yours don"t flare up again,the pain is pure hell , thanks for the support.

Sms 1. thanks for the information ,I am looking for a gym with a pool and one that teach water aerobic.I am VERY determine to loose this weight carbs& sugar will not stop me,why should foot pain?

thanks guys for the support .(klutzylady) ,
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:45

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Sorry you've been having so much trouble. I know that I really miss running - used to do it all the time - but between the weight, shin splints, and knee trouble, that might be over. However, I think losing the weight will help the both of us. Our feet and ankles do bear the most of our weight, and we will be taking quite a load of them - just one more reason to really want to lose it Getting back to those athletic/adventurous lifestyles.

Shalom,
Sh'ra