Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 23:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/210/185
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default alcoholic drinks?

I have stayed away from drinking anything alcoholic since starting induction 8 days ago. My question is this... are there anything alcoholic that I can drink? I have found Miller Lite with the lowest amount of carbs, at 3.2g a serving. What about Liquor? Does that contain a lot of sugar? I know that when alcohol is consumed, the body starts metobolising it before the fat because the sugar burns easier.... Can I get some more information on drinking alcoholic beverages on a LC diet? thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 00:12

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi Collegeguy -

There have been some really great posts here in the past that go over all of the different kinds of beverages we can have. Since many alcohols turn into sugar we are limited.

Use the search function to seek your answer...

Good luck on your quest!

Cheers
Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:05

Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm not an expert like many such as Karen and Doreen but my personal experience is that it is my downfall! I kept trying as I just love our wonderful New Zealand wine. Even with factoring in the carbs it stalled me. Not because of the alcohol itself but because I couldn't make myself just have one glass and I then lost my impetus. I think if you can stick at one and factor it in to the carb allowance it would be fine. It isn't a carb but it has to be counted like as one because your body will use it for energy before it uses fat. Maybe give it a try and see what happens?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 13:41

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default cheers

Once you are through induction....definitely recommend the alchoholic fast....... there is evidence to suggest that a glass of red wine is good and could be positively beneficial. There have been some heart studies done which suggest this and also Eades in Protein Power hypothesises that there are some fat burning attributes as well.

As far as carbs go.. The distilled products such as whiskey do not have any.... I do have the occassional tot. But you have picked up on the fact that Alcohol is like a sugar and the body will burn the quite considerable calories before fat. So it is putting the fat burn on hold.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 18:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%

I learned the hard way that since your body burns alcohol first, it hits you a lot faster and harder than it did before so go slow!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 205/205/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default me too.

Yeah, In college and it's pretty tough with the booze. I prefer Miller lite becuase of the carbs, and Rum and diet Cokes. Also try Gin and Diet tonic. The alcohol is no good for this diet(or any I guess), but I've lost weight before on this while drinking still and I'm losing weight now while still going to the bar on the weekends. I guess exercise on the days after you drink and the days you plan on drinking.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 10:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/140/140
BF:

Vodka and diet squirt is a favorite of mine, but not something you can usually get in a bar.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 11:57

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default After induction, I definitely started drinking again...

I'm in college and I do drink, but while I was on induction I didn't (of course), then for a while I drank maybe (or less than) once a week. Now since my classes just started up...the bar scene has been crazy and so have I...

This is my plan for the drinking thing:
- if I'm drinking at home (before we go out) I have, this is soooo good by the way, Diet Rite in the White grape flavor and vodka - it's incredible (champagne- only 2 carbs/glass - or red wine, dependly on the night). My boyfriend's mom drinking diet Rite in the orange cream flavor and she loves that too.
- if I'm at the bars, it's always DC and vodka...it's not nearly as bad as it sounds, but I always tell the bartender 3xs what it is so I make sure I have DC in there.
- if I'm out for a dinner evening, I always drink red wine, sometimes champagne. I could never order DC and vodka for dinner...lol.

I've had no problems at all w/ drinking. The "day after" I just try to stay away from anything w/ a lot of sodium and I drink plently of H20. I asked the Q about drinking when I first started and no one really had anything positive to say about it, I mostly got that if I was serious about my WOL, I wouldn't drink...it just depends on the person. I'm 21, a senior, and in college - the fact that I'm young, could also lead to why I am not having any problems or weight gain w/ drinking. I definitely have not put a beer to my mouth since I started
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 137/122/115
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Dietcoke and rum... yum

Hasn't hurt me I don't think .... I heard there is a new Michelob beer called Ultra that only has two carbs per beer... haven't seen it for sale yet though. Anyways, if you like to pregame.. liquor and diet coke is a whole lot cheaper anyways!!