Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 16:55

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 175/175/145
BF:
Progress:
Default oh oh I think I am a turtle too, can you say sloooooow!!!

Well here we are in day 10 I have lost 1 pound yikes!!!! I drink water like a fish and started at the gymn 3 x a wk 45 min strength training 20 min cardio.
I started a journal looking for input, but methinks I belong here. I am feeling very disheartened. Thanks for letting me whine. I ate 1/2 of a red licorise today in despair but managed to toss the other half out of the window when I got a hold of myself. Geesh now I am a litterer too but I had to get it out of my sight and quick.
Typical day

Bacon and eggs for breaky

lunch salad with ranch dressing few veggies and some tuna

meat at supper with some sort of veggie (cauliflower or broccoli)
chunks of cheese as snacks, or a bit of kelbassa or the like.

Water , water , water app. 90 oz. a day.
I am depressed, any help appreciated
peace rita
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 21:08

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 176/175/135
BF:
Progress:
Default encouragement

Hey,

I don't know what to tell you, except to hang in there. I am in the same boat. I'm down about 5lb after 4 weeks.

I've been doing some reading, including purchasing the New Atkins'. After looking at it, and another book called the Anti-Fat Nutrient Book, I've decided to add some L-Carnitine to my supplements. It is supposed to help. We'll see. I've also cut out peanuts and am trying to cut out dairy, though I did break down and have some cream in some decaf coffee. :-(

Don't feel alone! I've pitched stuff out the window too. Kind of makes me feel like a rebel.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 21:24

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

rita, you sweet litterer you! (lol at that--at least you have your sense of humor intact!)

Good for you for tossing that licorice.

It's too soon to know if you're a turtle yet. You still might get a giant woosh--for how much you have to lose, 5 pounds is giant.

As long as you're getting at least 1750 calories, your menu looks great. (your meat servings should be at least 6 ounces to keep the calories up, and don't buy the "lean" cuts) And if you aren't drinking any diet pop or coffee, you're avoiding the two most common stallers.

Do you use the ketostix? They save my sanity when the scale isn't moving. at least I know I'm in ketosis, so burning fat, so am getting thinner even though my scale isn't cooperating. that and measuring help us to gauge our success.

But if you lost only 1 pound ever 10 days, in a year you'd lost 36.5 pounds. Not bad at all! And WAY better than gaining 10 pounds a year, right?

Off to check your diary now.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 21:28

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 176/175/135
BF:
Progress:
Smile about those ketostix

I bought some ketostix yesterday and they are showing "trace". What do yours usually show up at? What should I long for?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 22:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
What should I long for?

Anything above nothing!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/223/180
BF:
Progress:
Default Maybe its..

I'm not an expert, but perhaps your strength training is adding muscles which adds additional pounds.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 16:57

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 175/175/145
BF:
Progress:
Default hanging in but down

I have lost 5 pounds in all these weeks I think I am in weeks six. It is sad and very disheartening. Still working out faithfully 3x a week for 45 min. Lotsa water. At this rate perhaps by 2003. sigh. peace rita
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 268/198/205
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Going faster

Rita,

Consider eliminating a lot of the stuff that is high in suger and starch. I have followed Dr. Bernstein's Diet and I tell ya, you don't have to excercise as much as you have to eat carefully. Yes, it is difficult to cope with initially becasue your portions are smaller, but it does work exceptionally well. The basic premise is simple, comsume fewer breads and sugers and eat lean products. For instance, at breakfast, why not have 3 boiled eggs, eliminate the yolk, and have a piece of melba toast. Lunch, a big salad with low cal balsamic or similar and dinner with a lean white meat and vegetables. It will work if you try it. Why not try going to a Bernstein clinic, even if its for a week or two?

Last edited by Pete : Thu, Feb-07-02 at 21:42.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 21:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Rita - don't get discouraged. You are losing about a pound a week. Those 5 pounds will become 10 and those ten will become 20. I had averaged a pound a week loss (up till 16 days ago when I quit smoking, Yikes). Yes, it took me 6 months to lose 26 pounds. Yes, it was a long time. But I went from a size 16 to a size 8. I could have let myself get all depressed and quit this WOE, in which case the 6 months would have still passed only I would have still been a size 16. Hope that helps you some!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 17:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Rita, I am with you in the frustration game as far as the weight loss goes! so I absolutely feel your pain!! All I can toss out to you is to hang with it. I feel I am definately a turtle, but there is no doubt that I feel better eating low carbs than I ever did just eating what I felt like. And even though my weight seems to be staying with me, eating this way and exercising is helping my mental outlook, so hang with it if you feel better, and I am praying for both of us that if we do the weight will start to come off at some point soon!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Rita - don't get discouraged

Yes, Rita - try really hard not to, okay? We all seem to know what it's like so if it's true that misery loves company, you've got that! It's really hard, I know, but hang in there and pop in here when you can - look how terrirfic these people in here have been and are! I've found so much comfort and strength in these forums that when I'm feeling down, I head right on over and always feel better when I'm done. Hang in there!!