Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 05:17

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:
Default permanent weight loss

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/hom...off&floc=HR-1_T

Six Steps: Keep the Weight Off for Good

It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change. How many times have you heard that? Approaching weight loss with this mantra really does lead to success. And here's the proof.

Led by Diane Berry, Yale University School of Nursing researchers studied 20 women, all of whom each lost 10 percent of their body weight--specifically between 15 pounds and 144 pounds. Eighteen kept the weight off for at least one year and in one case 27 years; two were unable to maintain the weight loss. Of the 20 women participating in the study, 17 were enrolled in one of two popular weight loss programs. Two of the three who were not in a formal weight loss program were also the two women who were not able to keep the weight off. In addition to membership in a weight loss support program, all the women who maintained their weight loss exercised regularly.

The Yale researchers found six similar steps or patterns that the 18 women who were successful all followed in their weight loss journey.

Step One: Before losing weight, the women were self-conscious, vulnerable, and unaware of events that contributed to their weight gain.

Step Two: The women recognized there was a problem, prepared to take action, and then decided to make a change.

Step Three: The women took control and actively engaged in behavior change.

Step Four: They incorporated new behaviors.

Step Five: The women used some type of support system to reinforce their behavior change.

Step Six: They experienced increased confidence, self-esteem, and control of their lives.

"Participants moved fluidly through one pattern to the next and many times fell back to a previous pattern before moving on," Berry explained in a news release announcing the study. "Once participants moved to the sixth pattern, they were able to maintain weight loss."

The successful women became more aware of their trigger foods and portion sizes, and they all exercised regularly. Berry said, "They also recognized it is something they will have to work at for the rest of their lives."

The study findings were published in journal Nursing Science Quarterly.
~
~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 05:23

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/hom...off&floc=HR-1_T

Step Five: The women used some type of support system to reinforce their behavior change.

~
~

hmmm... something like a... lc support forum?
I wonder if people who regularly visit this forum are more successful in reaching their goals than the average dieter. I would think so.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 07:48

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

I know that if i did not become activly involved with sometype of information system and response I would not be able to do this on my own.

I am very grateful that places like this exist.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 07:59
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I think this forum has helped me most when I had questions. I know that there is someone here who has had the same problems. I don't know where else I would be able to get information and answers on options that I know will work. There are people here who have been successful, and have been through it all. I am very happy that I found this site, I think it has helped me a lot.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 13:55

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

"researchers studied 20 women, all of whom each lost 10 percent of their body weight--specifically between 15 pounds and 144 pounds. "

The woman who lost 144 lbs. must have weighed 1440 lbs. to begin with!

"Participants moved fluidly through one pattern to the next and many times fell back to a previous pattern before moving on,"

???

"Berry explained in a news release announcing the study. "Once participants moved to the sixth pattern, they were able to maintain weight loss."

Really? In my experience, people who start losing weight feel an increase in confidence and control quite quickly, long before they reach maintenance.

I hope it wasn't the taxpayer funding this nonsense.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynS
The woman who lost 144 lbs. must have weighed 1440 lbs. to begin with!

I was actually just reading about a woman who lost over 800 lbs. She recently underwent an operation to remove a 110 lbs apron. However, she still weights close to 450 lbs. It won't be a suprise that her favorite food of all was bread.

I found that story while searching for a story my boyfriend told me about, of a man that weight 1200 lbs and is trying to loos

It's amazing to me that people can get that big !
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 18:08

Progress:

I think the story you were looking for can be found at this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/...n.ap/index.html

This guy weighed over 1000 lbs has lost 321 and is trying to lose 450 more.

He is hospitalized and was put on a 1200 cal./day diet.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I wouldn't be where I am today without this forum. I'd be fat, and miserable about it, and too embarassed to talk to anyone about weight loss. Talking about it helps keep me motivated.