Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/134/116
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question LC WOE's effect on complexion

Has anyone noticed an effect, either positive or negative, from following Atkins or other LC WOE?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:45

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default positive

I would say definitely positive. I'm sure if you search around the forum you'll find this topic discussed a while back.

I'm not sure if it's from the good food we eat or all the water drink, or a combination of everything.

All I know is I'll take it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 17:42
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Definitely positive. In my case, I have elevated testosterone which causes acne (PCOS problem) and reducing insulin reduces testosterone too which clears my skin. I agree, I bet the water isn't hurting either! You *may* notice some breakouts right at the beginning (first month or so) due to detoxing, but after that, you should start to see an improvement.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 18:20
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up skin improvement

When I first start on induction my skin was getting very dry and now I have notice that my pore are smaller and I have more moisture to my skin. It is due to water and all this great food. My husband said that he notice my wrinkles are feeling out and I even looked younger. Hey, I could have done this a long time ago.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 18:21

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I'll be negative -- LOL

Unfortunately, I am the opposite.

My face has dry spots and it is broken out a bit. I drink a lot of water, 4.5 liters and I have these issues.

I have begun to take a supplement for hair, nails and face - so I will let you all know.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 18:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

THe skin on my back has totally cleared up. It used to be rather spotty!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 14:57

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%

I thought I'd be a thirty year old and have teenage acne, but my skin has never looked better than it does since beginning this diet, with my only breakouts just before my period. These used to be severe, but now it is maybe one or two blemishes.

I also have switched to "MARY KAY Timewise" facial cleanser and moisturizer in the past year and REALLY like the stuff. Probably has helped some. I have tried everything from Department store products to bar soaps specially made and everything under the sun for acne washes. This really is the best for me so far.

The water and the vitamins have helped with the dry skin and brittle nails, I believe.

Happy Clear Face Ahead!
mb
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 15:41

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

That is definitely one of the benefits that I get on this WOE... When I include carbs in my diet my skin gets all puffy and red... and it really looks awful, but since I have been eating right, it has cleared up and I can honestly say that people have remarked on its appearance..
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 15:46

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Like most of the people here, my skin has improved with this woe. I've always had excessively oily skin with moderate breakouts but now have only slightly oily skin with no breakouts.

I'm not completely sure yet, but I think some raised, red scars that I've had for years are reducing in size. I suppose it could just be a coincidence.

Allison
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 18:54
Pending Member

BF:

Welcome I wish I knew how it work for us we could make millions just selling the benefits for skin care. I don't have to use allot of moisturizer and the only thing I use now is a mild cleanser . I love it. Welcome again and have a great day.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:47
Registered Member

Stats: 136/134/116
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks

Thank You for all your responses .
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:07
Pending Member

BF:
Smile

Allison,
How are you doing? I was busy yestersday and didn't get on the forum. I hope you are doing well on your way to a healthy and happy way of life. I had my first blackhead since I was 20. But I ate a whole bag of pork rinds and they are full of grease. So I have decided that I will buy only one bag a week and that is to cook with. I could have know better. Well hope to hear from you soon.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 21:05

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Donna

Doing great! I just saw the 45% next to my name for the first time and was both surprised and excited.

Allison
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 16:43

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

like others, my acne diminished 98%, and my dandruff disappeared, too.

The youthful skin effect is partly from eating more fat. Look at someone who know who is a thin, low-fat eating, middle aged white woman. Even with pretty good skin genetics, I'll wager she looks ten years older than her LC equivalent. There are actually studies done on fat intake and wrinkles that bear this claim out.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:55
TerrieP

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Like a Brick Feel on My Head

Wow, $100's of dollars spent at the dermatologist and I finally figure it out on these boards. Yes, Mary Kay TIMEWISE or there standard skin care products are awesome (that's what convinced me to become a consultant), but they never totally cleared up my skin. This way of life has finally cleared up my back, shoulders and my face. I never had acne as a child but when I turned 35 my face was horrible. Maybe it is our way of body's saying "enough is enough" and try to get rid of all the excess carbs?

This WOL has helped my face 110%!