Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 09:56

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 130/130/112
BF:
Progress:
Default Try and Try again - Help needed for a second timer

This is my second attempt at Low Carbing. I did it the induction about 4 months ago and it was really sucessfull but I then went on holiday and fell off the wagon BIG TIME.

I also gave up smoking 6 months ago and through that I have put on a stone in weight, getting married in four months so I am desperate to sort myself out and I need to shed a stone and a half within 4 months.

My boyfriend and I are both about to re-embark on the Aitkins program as we both felt so so much better when we cut out carbs and sugar last time.

A couple of questiona tho, my weakness is bread, I must eat bread! I keep seeing keto bread and low carb bread and I wanted to know if this is ok to eat during the induction period, what is the best low carb bread product and the safest one that wont stop weight loss?

Secondly I drink black coffee no sugar, is this counted in the fluid intake or do I need to drink 2 litres of water additionally?

Lastly, what alternatives are there to potatoes, I do miss those!!

Help is much, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/228.5/182
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Welcome second timer

Hi there JH,

I read your post yesterday and resisted replying because I'm not sure about some of your questions. Thought more experienced lowcarbers would have responded.

I think it's great that you're giving yourself a second try to get rid of those lbs. You've got a great incentive with your wedding approaching. You can loose those lbs.

With regards to your questions:

black coffee can't be a substitute for the water drinking. It is said that if you drink tea or coffee you need to add the equivelent in water to cleanse the system. So keep the water going.

Bread is a difficult one. I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned. I just keep away from all bread as it's a real threat to my lowcarbing. I did try the protein bread recipe in the Atkins book but didn't like it. You could try it for yourself. Also other recipes for pancakes etc.

About potatoes - well if there was one I haven't found it. I know how you feel as them. I could eat potatoes with every meal but the funny thing is since beginning the way of eating WOE I no longer miss them. I don't think about them because I eat so many other good foods which seem to take away the yearnings for my favourite foods.

JH, I have come to learn that foods I thought I couldn't live without is in fact rubbish. I used to drink fizzy drinks all the time. Well it's now nearly 2 years since I last sipped one. My reality was at least 2 litres a day. Not any more - it's water, water and more water. I don't like tea or coffee. Sorry this seems to have bcome a sermon, it's not meant to be rather to support you and encourage you to begin to look beyond the foods that might be keeping you locked into holding onto those extra lbs. You might try the luxury recipes in the forum which might give you some alternatives. Browse around.

Take care and know there are lots of people hear for you. Cheerio for now.

Anne
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi
Have been low carbing since Feb and managed to get to goal BUT haven't found a really good bread substitute. You can make wonderful muffins using almond flour and if you make the Atkins cheese bread in his recipe book try substituting the soya flour with almond flour. I find any recipes using soya flour taste bitter.
Tried the Keto bread but it was a disaster and VERY expensive for what it is.
Potato sub is easy. Boil/steam a cauliflower, drain really well, put in blender with small amount of cream and butter and process until it looks like mashed potato. Some also add cheese, parmesan or any cheese really. You can't tell the difference from real mash. Nice to use for shepherds pie also with baked cheese topping.
Just make sure you don't add too much liquid as it will be sloppy.

Hope this helps
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:11

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 130/130/112
BF:
Progress:

Thank you AnneT and Cocoabear for your
help and advice, I will be trying the cauliflower
sub tonight for sure.

I am sure that it will get easier as I simply
get used to eating differently, it is working