Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: IR, 6x6
Stats: 270/235/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

This is my first post, so please bear with me......

Any ideas about setting up a President's Challenge Group for non-TDC members? I started the President's Challenge in late May and have accumulated 32,000 points so far. (Due to a semi-low carb diet which has six miles of walking six days a week!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi everyone - Just thought I would post my shock at having walked 4.38KM today at work. I couldn't believe what my pedometer told me! Plan on keeping it up for the rest of the week just to see. Very very surprising!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 22:11

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Okay so how do you log the distance on that thing? I see its noted but I can only see how to enter time?? What am I missing...my 4.38km are impossible to input as it was stretched out over a big period of time.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 00:42
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

ldcowboy ~ Welcome to the forum! I think it's a great idea to start another group. Just start a thread on the Countdown subforum when you're ready. The President's Challenge Group site has suggestions on how to start; if you register as Group Administrator, they'll send you an email with an 'Invitation' form to attract members. I used part of it in my opening post.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Teresa ~ Congratulations on all the walking! If you look at the full activity list, you'll see 'pedometer'. You can log the amount of steps you've taken (or distance, I think). It also prompts you to enter time ... you're going to have to figure out a method for this.

This is what the site says:
Quote:
Can I use a pedometer? Absolutely. If you like to run, jog, or walk, you can use a pedometer - a small device that automatically counts the number of steps you take. Then just record the amount in your activity log. Different people will have different daily goals:

---> Girls 6 to 17 - At least 11,000 steps a day
---> Boys 6 to 17 - At least 13,000 steps a day
---> Adults 18 or older - At least 10,000 steps a day

If you want to log minutes one day and pedometer steps the next, that's okay. As long as your meet you daily activity goal of minutes or steps.

10,000 steps seem like a lot! How many did you do the other day?

Signey ~ Nice to see you here! Like you, I always wanted a medal and never made it. I remember trying to do pull-ups ... my chin never, ever even once made it above the bar. I've had problems with the activity log entry time, too, but not like you've experienced. I'm sending them an email to let them know about this problem. They're really responsive and will probably work on it for the next Alaskan.

Hey everyone ... I made my first star!! 3131 points for Week One. I was feeling so blech today I almost skipped my workout. I took a tumble yesterday and threw my shoulder out a bit, so I had a good excuse, but then I thought of you folks. I took it easy ... but I went to the YMCA and got my butt in gear. It was nice to log my activities and see that star turn completely red.

Has anyone else used the 'Compare With Others' page? It's not important for our group, but I love checking out how I stack up against 39 year olds ... or Washingtonians ... or the good people of Belarus! I hit the 100 percentile against Norwegians. Not a whole lot of 'em participating, apparently!

You folks working on medals, how do they show your progress?

Active Lifestyle shows 6 empty stars for each week of the Challenge. Each day you do 30+ minutes, an arm of the star turns red. And you can't apply points to Week Two until 7 days after you start Week One.

Okay ... signing off for the night.

Sweet dreams Challengers!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 01:08

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%

Hi Monika,

The Presidential Challenge doesn't have stars just a red bar starting from the left and moving right on the page as you gain more points. You have a total of 20,000 points to get and it tells you how many more points you need and what percentage you've done towards target. I'm up to 17%. I'm counting my household tasks (house may as well get something out of this as well) and I'm amazed at how even light housework bumps up the points. I've never had a medal in my life either! Here's hoping.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 02:52
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

i am only at 4% i have been a real slacker the first few days of this week, but I am getting back into the swing of things yesterday was my first day at curves and today my legs (calves mainly) sure are feeling it so thats a good thing... i need to rest of me to feel it like this though!
my weight is actually up 2lbs for last thursday so apparently ruby tuesday's low carb cheesecake and them two lc candy bars i had sunday and monday didn't agree with me to well that or its water weight from curves i didn't think about that hmm ok so i am not to upset now

Starting info:
Weight ... 206lbs
Bust .......... 38"
Waist ........ 34"
Hip ........... 45"
Thigh ........ 25"
BF% ..... 25.28%
Size 12 Jeans

My Weekly Goals will be:
Curves 3x
Pilates 3x
Bellydance before work hopefully 5x a week but i will allow this to be flexible, if i have time i will do it but i tend to sleep through my alarm at least once a week
Stationery Bike everytime i cook.. its broken up it a minute here and a minute there but at least i am doing something other then sitting waiting
and since it will be adding to my points, i will also be doing yardwork (mowing ect) every sunday morning and house work every couple days :P

...... ok that was to much jumping around
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 02:35

Default Week One

I signed up early to the challenge and Friday is the best day for me to report in.

First week is only 6 days long as my application wasn't accepted until the Saturday (sob, I did so much exercise last Friday!)

Last Friday I weighed 187.8 and my BMI was around 39%
This Friday I weigh 186.2 Loss of 1.6 pounds.

Measurements:

30th July: Bust=41; Upper W=36; Waist=39; Tummy=43; Thighs=47
6th August: Bust=40; Upper W=34; Waist=37; Tummy=44; Thighs-47

Think my tummy is rather bloated this morning which may account for the extra inch! Otherwise, wow, I didn't expect such a differene so soon! No wonder people have been complimenting me over the last week.

Presidential Points for week one - 3794 - 18%
Running Total - 3794 - 18%
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:01
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hello,
Just checking in to let everyone know that I've completed my first week. I'll be able to input my information tonight to get my star. I'm very excited about this challenge!
My main focus is riding my stationary bike. I average 30 min. a day - 4 miles. This pattern of 30 min. a day, five days a week has been a goal of mine for quite awhile. Something always derails me. I'm thinking that this challenge will be the extra motivation I need to stay with it for the long term. I'd like to set the goal to continue with the next level after I've completed this challenge.
Monica,I had forgotten about the chin ups! I think they "were" the worst part of the testing at school. I never had the upper body strength to do them. It's only been in the last few years that I've learned that few women do. I'd carried that failure with me for all of those years. It was a relief to know that I wasn't in a minority. Of course it didn't help that I was a chubby child too. I love that I've been given a new opportunity to make good on this challenge. I can make it up to myself.
Thanks for the opportunity!
Signey
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: IR, 6x6
Stats: 270/235/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Thumbs up Medal rules

For the medals:
20,000 points earns you a bronze medal
45,000 points earns you a silver medal
80,000 points earns you a gold medal

Only 750 points per day count toward a medal.

My goal is to earn a gold medal by end of 2004. I'm at 32,500 points and climbing.

You earn 220 points per hour of walking, and +360 points per hour of hiking. I walk at a mall 6+ miles Monday-Thursday, and go hiking on the weekend. I typically earn +1,000 points on a weekend day, but only 750 points count.

- ldcowboy
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcowboy
For the medals:
20,000 points earns you a bronze medal
45,000 points earns you a silver medal
80,000 points earns you a gold medal

Only 750 points per day count toward a medal.

My goal is to earn a gold medal by end of 2004. I'm at 32,500 points and climbing.

You earn 220 points per hour of walking, and +360 points per hour of hiking. I walk at a mall 6+ miles Monday-Thursday, and go hiking on the weekend. I typically earn +1,000 points on a weekend day, but only 750 points count.

- ldcowboy

Only 750 points per day, ah that explains a lot.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 20:43

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I've been very active this week, getting ready to sell my rental property and it has needed a lot of work. So while my routine workouts haven't been occuring, I have been getting a "real life" workout. I'm at 4172 points since last Saturday. Once I finish getting this rental property in shape, I'll go back to my normal workouts.

So how do you get a star?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 22:02
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

I'm just keeping track of what I'm doing right now (since I'm in the middle of setting up my classroom--which entails building a desk, building bookcases, arranging furniture, and unpacking lots and lots of books--I'm getting a workout while doing "household chores"!) and being honest about the level of difficulty.

Man, Monika, your daily activity is making me tired just reading about it!

Crysania, a very belated happy birthday. And congratulations on reaching a size 12! That's awesome!

Teresa, all that walking just for doing your job! I 'm impressed. Just spent some time trying to find out an average "steps per mile" for women... it seems like a rough idea is 5,000 steps = 1 mile. A Km = .6 miles. So you walked roughly 13100 steps at work. Man--I gotta get me a pedometer that works!

Congrats to all.

Jude
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 13:27
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Hi Everyone!

First, a programming note. I had someone outside of the forum sign up for our group, so I've now made ours 'Private'. I would have done so in the first place, but I couldn't figure out how to invite you all! This means that if anyone wants to join our happy troop, they'll have to contact us first.

Dianne ~ Good luck selling your rental property!
Here's a star from me... ... since you won't get stars tracking your progress. You're a Presidential Champion - working towards a medal instead of an Active Lifestyle Award, like me. In fact, here's the group breakdown:

Active Lifestyle Award Challengers
Kelly
Mary
Becky
Jude
Signey
Skinnbones
TedMom
Monika

We've committed to 30 minutes of activity a day, 5 days a week for six weeks.

Presidential Champions
Julie
Dianne
Crysania
Teresa
JstPeachie (So glad to see you are back!)

You guys are working towards 20,000 points for your first Bronze Medal. I don't believe there is a time limit, but there is a 750 point daily cap (as ldcowboy kindly pointed out in an earlier post).

Both these programs have lovely rewards - certificates, pins, tee-shirts, stickers, etc. I may reward myself with one of their pedometers when I complete my six weeks.

What I love about these Challenges is that this is a program that never has to be over! You work your way up - Award, Bronze, Silver, Gold - and then there is Advanced work where all the points need to be doubled to achieve the medals. Whew! That is a serious challenge and can keep you moving ahead for a long time.

Jude ~ I'm like you and Julie - when 'household activity' is vigorous, I'm counting it by God! But I can't exactly claim most of the housework I do: straighten up, pet the cat, vacuum a little, heat up a cup of tea, start a load of laundry, check the forum, etc. Mostly fragmented and at a very easy pace. Good luck setting up that classroom! I think we've got two teachers, you and Mary (Marebear). Looks like we're in good company!

ldcowboy ~ Good luck on getting the gold! Your activity level is an inspiration!

Signey ~ We'll do it together this time and heal all those 'I can't do it' wounds, okay?! Let's kick those sadistic gym teachers in the butt. (If you didn't have one, come on over and we'll give a few of mine double duty! )

Julie!!! My goodness woman, you are shrinking away! Those are better inch losses in one week than I typically make in a month. Sometimes two! No wonder your friends have commented - that's a big change in so short a time. Congratulations! Now a question ... you must be measuring both thighs at once. That's not typical this side of the pond - is it a European thing or personal preference?

PS - Love the Presidential Points and Running Total ... so cool!

Crysania ~ You've made me think of all the time I stand around in the kitchen, waiting for something to finish so I can move onto the next step. My bike is literally around the corner and twice now I've gone and pedalled for a few minutes, thanks to your suggestion. They're not long sessions, obviously, but since one of my major goals is to keep my inner furnace running hot, this is bound to help. Thanks!

Have a great start to the week folks!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 13:52

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Monika and Challenge Members:

What a wonderful challenge! I got signed up to the Presidential Champions group and I think this is going to be a blast!

Summer is getting more tolerable here in Florida so I started hiking again! But I still treadmill, work on weights, and swim. I love every moment but sometimes I do have to drag my ass out to get started! This should make it fun. Rewards like medals and certificates really work for me . I am definitely a nerd!

I really admire TDC members who exercise. Dang, you really have to have motivation and want this BAD! It is just tough to exercise and drag the extra weight with you. GO US!!!

I filled in my Presidential chart starting 8/2 so my starting weight was 229 and my measurements are:

Bust - 43.5 inches
Waist- 43 inches
Hips- 51 inches

For my goal, I would like to lose 10 pounds over this six weeks and exercise at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week .

Thanks for making this challenge!

Orchid
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 01:01

"Julie!!! My goodness woman, you are shrinking away! Those are better inch losses in one week than I typically make in a month. Sometimes two! No wonder your friends have commented - that's a big change in so short a time. Congratulations! Now a question ... you must be measuring both thighs at once. That's not typical this side of the pond - is it a European thing or personal preference?"

Monika, to be honest I'm a bit worried about those stats, have a horrible feeling when I do them again this Friday they will be up again. TOM is approaching and I've definitely put some pounds back on over the weekend.

Yep, I've measuring both thighs at once, personal perference I suppose.

To count my housework, I put down mostly light unless there is some sweat involved! I use my stopwatch on my watch and this week my resolution is to make myself work for 1 hr at a time and to do a minimum of two hours a day.